Print Thread
Hop To
B
bbassi Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
I know this has been discussed in the past, but Capitol One sucks Donkey Dink. I didn't drop the club when they switched over to Cap1 and now regret it, but I'm done.

What else is out there that has a reasonable interest rate and some kind of reward? I've only had this one card for years and almost never carry a balance over a couple months, but I feel it's a good idea to have one for "Emergencies".

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Cash.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not quite there yet, I enjoy my rewards and never carry a balance so the rewards are free discounts when I HAVE to shop at Cabela's

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I'm not quite there yet, I enjoy my rewards and never carry a balance so the rewards are free discounts when I HAVE to shop at Cabela's

i have had very poor experience with capital one, and a fairly high credit line transfered to them from cabela's. never have use it. i use now a card from my primary bank which has a bunch of discounts on it.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you travel at all, a Chase Southwest rewards card is where it is at, if you are near a SW airport.

My wife and I use ours for *every purchase we can* (1 point per dollar) plus I booked hotels, rental cars, and airline tickets for work and personal travel on it for 3x points.

We have hit "companion" status, so she travels for free with me, if I book a ticket. I pay for my ticket with points, she flies free - we haven't paid for 2 R/T tickets in a few years. We accumulate points faster than we can use them.

With COVID, there has been no travel, so we are now over 250,000 points. That covers trips to Boston to visit our daughter, Hawaii next year (hopefully), Cabo to see my father, etc, etc.

Worth looking into, if cheap travel is your thing.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Capital One Cabela's caused me a lot of problems when they were bought by Bass Pro.

New cards, never activated accrued a pile of debt.......all calls went to Guatemala.

It took a year but all finally resolved.....I hope!

The Costco CitiBank is great!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Costco card. 4% on all fuel purchases

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Wife and I have Capital One Venture card. Comes with an annual fee, but also rewards and other things that make up for that in our use model:

- TSA pre-check for free (covers the fee right there), I travel for work and we both travel back to New England to visit family
- 2 for 1 rewards "miles". 100 "miles" gets you $1 in rewards/cash back

It's the card on TV with Jennifer Garner, they say it's flights you get with no black out, however it's really not. You can offset billed things on the card with the "miles", so for flights, you build up the "miles" and then buy an airline ticket via the airline, they pay that off directly to the CC with your miles. We keep it paid off montly so interest is a non-issue, but in the last year we've paid off 3 airline tickets and 2 rental car purchases with it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikieb
Costco card. 4% on all fuel purchases

+1 - 4% on gas, 3% on restaurants, 2% on anything bought at Costco, 1% on everything else. I like the $2-300 check in Feb.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Fidelity Rewards. Flat 2% on everything. No limit, no fee.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Discover . One percent on every thing. Rotates from gas , restaurants, Amazon, wholesale club with up to 5 percent.
No annual fee. July thru September you can earn 5 percent using pay pal and restaurants. Hasbeen

Last edited by hasbeen1945; 07/07/20.

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I too have a severe case of ph uck Capitol one after the A ss Amateur Shops buy out.
Got a Scheels card when they opened here near the house.
3% in points on in store or online purchases 1% on everything else.
Plus no interest on purchases over $500.00 for 6 months, over $1000 no interest for 12 months.
And for every 2500 points you accumulate they send you a $25.00 gift card.

Your mind is your primary weapon. Never let it get rusty.

Endowment Member NRA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Buying gas with cash is a waste of time and there's no way to send cash over the Internet safely. Credit cards are almost a necessity when it comes to running a business or two. We've been comprised a few different times, the worst was from Palo Brazil for the tune of $38,400. At least now with cell phones you can get things straightened out rather quickly while your on vacation.

Life is good live it while you can.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (257 mag, 007FJ, 44mc, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 12 invisible), 1,653 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.