Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw this thread had popped back up.

Learned today a fella I have worked with for several years shot and killed his wife and her friend early yesterday morning.
He then of course shot himself.

“He was a good guy”. He was also an epic piece of murdering schit.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by hookeye
Maybe it had crossed to where no coping mech could deal with it.
Sorry ‘bout your friend. Sad incident, sad circumstances.

Thanks.
I m OK with it now, took a while though.
Better to have known him than not.
So just be thankful I was his friend for 20 yrs.
Shot on Wed. At work about 6 of us got letters from him, on Friday.
Boss handed it to me, corporate mail.
Read it and walked out.

Really messed up a lot of people at work.
Some still upset over it.

July 16th it was.
I should get fuggin hammered that night at the club he played.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/06/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
People who have never been around (or dealt with) acute depression are talking out of their azz.

It is crippling, and debilitating. There is no "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" or "sucking it up".

It is a deep despair and hopelessness and helplessness that cannot be explained.

Anyone who has not had it, that passes judgement on someone who has experienced depression is the lowest scum.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I used to think it was the most selfish act in the world, I said that aloud and even after my own girlfriend in college shot herself in the chest with a 12ga and I went several years thinking if I had only known the pain she had inside I might have been able to help.

She was beautiful, so sweet, soft spoken and a devastating loss to me.

Over time I came to realize the pain is real and they simply cannot stop themselves.

Dave

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by RDW
I used to think it was the most selfish act in the world, I said that aloud and even after my own girlfriend in college shot herself in the chest with a 12ga and I went several years thinking if I had only known the pain she had inside I might have been able to help.

Over time I came to realize the pain is real and they simply cannot stop themselves.

Sorry to hear that. It is hard to wrap one's head around, in so many ways. Damn.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I saw this thread had popped back up.

Learned today a fella I have worked with for several years shot and killed his wife and her friend early yesterday morning.
He then of course shot himself.

“He was a good guy”. He was also an epic piece of murdering schit.

Locally mooner?

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep. Tacoma.

Wasn’t close with him but talked with him whenever I was in that store and he was working. He’d always go out of his way to come up and say hi and shoot the schit for a minute or two about beer and whatever. I remember he had just gotten married maybe 6-8 months ago. He seemed stoked about it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fishin par d is a paramedic, guess suicide has really spiked since this covid.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by RDW

Its definitely a strange thing. I always thought I understood depression. I had days where I felt [bleep] and down, but it never lasted and I always told myself that tomorrow was a new day and things would look better. They usually did, too. A couple years back though, I learned that I'd had no idea what it really was, but I was gonna find out! Not going to bother with a long, detailed description of what it's like, suffice to say I understand perfectly why people do it. It can seem like the most rational and reasonable course of action. You know it will hurt some people but are positive that they will get over it pretty soon and then realize they are far better off without you around. Its quite easy to convince yourself that it's not only a reasonable course of action, but that it's the only reasonable course of action. There is no "screw all of them, I don't care" feeling that many seem to believe in. At least, not for me.

Maybe its hereditary for some people, it definitely does seem that way. I believe mine was caused mostly by diet. I was on a low carb diet and doing intermittent fasting for a couple years when it really got bad. I felt good physically, but mentally I was getting in real rough shape. One day I just admitted to myself that it was going to happen. I didn't exactly want it to, but I knew that if nothing changed, it was coming. I changed my diet a fair bit, started eating more carbs and even a bit of sugar sometimes, as well as taking more B12 and a few other vitamins. Maybe it was coincidence, but within a month or two I was pretty much back to normal, and all those darkness just kinda faded away. I wonder how many other people could really change their mental state just by changing their lifestyle and eating habits.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Worst thing that ever happened to me personally so far was the collapse of my marriage, didn’t discuss it at work but I would go out back between classes and weep. That year I thought I had a big red flashing “Train Wreck” sign over my head everywhere I went.

I was stunned the following year that, because I never discussed it, nobody realized anything different. My whole world falling apart and nobody could tell.

Made me realize we know Jack about what’s going on in the heads of those around us we see every day. So I resolved to talk less and listen more.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Originally Posted by Starman
Good point....and if the dude is planning leaving the SUV to his son, he'd prefer it don't have brain matter all over the interior
and hole in the roof that needs fixing..

...he hadn’t noticed that the light had changed...

And though the news was rather sad,
Well I just had to look . .

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Whackin yourself ain't no different than postin on the fire.

Nobody knows what you were thinkin, some wonder what you were thinkin, and others think they understand, but never really will.

Might work out the way ya want, might not.

1/3 of the people will be behind it.

1/3 will think you're an @sshole.

1/3 will post that you're doin it wrong.

If it's Mike Weiner it's @sshole every time...That little fuqking weenie...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by killerv
I wonder if there is something to it being hereditary. A buddy's grandfather several years back sold him the family farm for a dollar, after that, he went out to find his grandfather hanging from one of the trees a few weeks later. His father killed himself last year. Must be something to live with knowing your grandfather and father committed suicide.

Never had anyone close to me do it, mostly family members you may see once in a blue moon at a reunion or something. Had a good buddy who overdosed a few years back, no note was left so we weren't very sure if it was one or not, he had just gotten a divorce.

Our local BPS seems to be a popular place to do it. Law enforcement told me multiple people have off'd themselves in the parking lot since it opened. I guess they just want to make sure they are found quickly.

A friend of mine killed himself last Feb. His grandfather and father both killed themselves. Another guy I grew up with shot himself and his mom did the same. I do believe whatever causes it can be inherited.

Never heard anyone else talk about it “running in the family” before these posts. Have an old widow neighbor, she just lost her second kid to it. Lost her husband to it. And her late husband lost either a parent or a sibling or both to it too. I was shocked to hear such a story and consider its source in genetics, but then, clinical depression and brain chemistry would certainly have a base in genetics.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Could be an insurance policy would fix the family up for life. I can see one doing his self in, but taking the family and even the dog along is too much.

Not talked about much, but we do have assisted suicide available in Oregon. One has to be pretty near the end of his rope. Several steps involved and not frequently discussed.

Last edited by 1minute; 07/07/20.

1Minute
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by memtb
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.

I can only say that you are clueless to the torments in their mind! There are many reasons, many we cannot fathom, for a person to take his/her own life! You may want to reconsider your position on this! memtb

Maybe so, but the mountain climbers and extreme sports enthusiasts that kill themselves in search of adventure don’t leave much of a legacy, but people worship their dumbness with lots of positive anthologies.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HitnRun
Maybe so, but the mountain climbers and extreme sports enthusiasts that kill themselves in search of adventure don’t leave much of a legacy, but people worship their dumbness with lots of positive anthologies.

To a larger degree than almost any other vertebrate, human societies have sacrificial males; males that give up their lives for the benefit of the group. In fact human societies idolize this sort of behavior. Sounds contradictory but obviously has survival value for the group as a whole.

Indeed, as Richard Leaky pointed out, injuries to our fragile knees and ankles have always been so common that if we didn’t rally around and put ourselves in peril to defend our own, humans woulda gone extinct a long time ago.

Maybe the flying-squirrel suit guys are on the far end of that particular genetic bell curve.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Ever notice how suicide seems to run in the family? A father to off himself, just for his son to off his self years down the road? I know of a couple instances like this personally. I don't know if its too much for the sons to handle and they see it as an option like their fathers before them did? Something to think about before you pull the trigger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe you could gather some relatives and go piss on their graves
Personally I feel for anyone who finds life more difficult than ending it. Horrible for the survivors but how hopeless does one need to feel to put a gun to the head and pull the trigger. Not many got the chops for that

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BangPop
I've seen a couple of examples recently where two individuals were declared great guys after they took their own lives. One was a early 30's fly fishing guide who left a 12 year old son behind to deal with the stigma of having his father do himself in with a pistol. Another was a mid 70's guy who left behind his wife of nearly 50 years. Everyone goes on and on about what great guys they were. Just splendid individuals. I have a different opinion of someone who would do that to a loved one or family member. Selfish chicken chits that didn't have the guts to deal with whatever was eating at them. They took the easy way out. Sad deal for those left behind.
Several years ago we lost a very good member from right on this site. Before you ask, I won't say who, but suffice it to say, he was good people. I talked to him extensively, met him on one occasion, and never thought he'd be one to do this. Suicide is a horrible ending for all envolved, and it most certainly does leave some heavy, heavy scars. I guess we sometimes never know what others are going through that leads them to make this final decision.My heart goes out to all those impacted by the choice the victims felt compelled to make.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
You just don’t know what goes on in people’s heads!! It the cowards way out in my opinion.

Page 11 of 12 1 2 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10ring1, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,703 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,216
Posts18,466,338
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.