24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Colt put in all the effort they were capable of putting in to make the best revolver they could make with both the Model 357 and the Python, and this in an age devoid of investment casting, CNC, and MIM. They are worthy of their status.

My 8in. Brite Nickle Python , even before the deluxe trigger job, it shot superbly accurate. Trigger job 6 mos. after I bought it. Even better then.

I have a Smith Mod. 19 , with a tricked out , smooth and light action. Comparing the two ...The Python wins .

Never judge a man..till you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way... you will be a mile away from him... and you will have his shoes.
BP-B2

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
My Python arrived, overall very pleased. No function issues, beautiful, well built handgun. Slight negatives that I will have fixed, rear sight has no tension on adjustment screw, concerned could self adjust under recoil, grooved trigger uncomfortable during double action use and single action pull unacceptable. Pleased with Colts re-introduction of this classic handgun, well worth the price to me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
mark -

As long as you are satisfied and happy.......that's ALL that matters. (seriously)
I'm glad that you like it and hope you have many years of happy service from it.

I say those things because that is MY perspective about MY guns - shotguns, rifles, handguns. I don't lose a MINUTE of sleep over what someone else thinks of MY gun.

Happy Shooting, Hunting, Killing

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TimZ
Anybody care to weigh in with what the actual street price is running?

Thanks,

Tim

Went to the actual Buds gun store in Lexington Kentucky, Not their internet sales ,they had a brand new 4 inch Python ,asking $2,000 dollors for it , I skipped by on it

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwall
mark -

As long as you are satisfied and happy.......that's ALL that matters. (seriously)
I'm glad that you like it and hope you have many years of happy service from it.

I say those things because that is MY perspective about MY guns - shotguns, rifles, handguns. I don't lose a MINUTE of sleep over what someone else thinks of MY gun.

Happy Shooting, Hunting, Killing

Jerry

Post of the decade right there.
Why does this escape so many?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
Originally Posted by MOGC
Manufactured for Colt by Charter Arms.

Really?

No.

Yes, really. Check it out. That doesn't make it a bad gun, but the new Python is not made by Colt. It's made for Colt.

Can you tell us where you got the info from?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My local gun store has an original Colt Python (four inch barrel) in excellent condition with a price tag of $3,000.00. You could likely talk them down to $2,900.00. Were I in the market for one, I'd spend the extra $900.00 and get a real one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by markak338fed
..... grooved trigger uncomfortable during double action use and single action pull unacceptable. .....

Sounds like it's great as long as you don't use the trigger? Having a hard time ciphering how you got from there, to very pleased? I guess I would prioritize the trigger on a revolver well above most everything else save reliability. Especially on an above average priced "prestige" gun.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
RufusG, I'm sure someone else may love the grooved trigger, not a major issue for me, easily fixed. as for the single action trigger pull, I believe that is due to light hammer strikes/failure to fire with some brands of ammo in the early production Pythons and Colts fix for that adding a heavier spring. As soon as some pistolsmiths get some experience on the new Pythons I'll be getting a trigger job as I do with any new revolver. That said I'm still very pleased with my new revolver and like the changes Colt made in beefing up the frame and simplifying the trigger system. Others may feel different and to each their own.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Okay, that makes it a little clearer. I guess I would have described the single action as "less than ideal" or "not quite there" based on what you said rather than "unacceptable", or maybe "needs a little work to be perfect" lol.

And I have little experience with Colts, but have the same opinion on grooved triggers. I absolutely hate hate hate the Smith target trigger. I have to wonder if anyone actually shoots DA revolvers in double action. I'll take the smooth combat trigger, especially the extra wide one, every day. It seems like much less of a hindrance shooting SA than the target trigger is shooting DA.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Call the folks there at Colt and ask them.

μολὼν λαβέ
J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J

You are the one making the claim. Are you telling me if I call Colt they will say Charter Arms makes them for us?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Is it possible that the series Walking Dead started the crazy price rise in Pythons? Rick, the star, carried a six inch Python. First episode premiered ten years ago.

No.

I offloaded mine around 2006? People were getting stupid money for them.

I had a few of them over the years and regret selling them. Not because I think they are the holy grail but because I would have cashed in for more money.

There is no way in hell I would pay what the going rate is now. Nice guns for sure but I am way past the mystique having owned a few.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

You are the one making the claim. Are you telling me if I call Colt they will say Charter Arms makes them for us?

Yes, if you get someone on the phone who is honest and actually knows what they're talking about.

μολὼν λαβέ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hickok45 just posted his review of the four inch model this morning.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hickok45 just posted his review of the four inch model this morning.

Good to know. I'll be checking this out in the next day or so.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

I know the early reviews of the New Python...wern't always complimentary....and I have not kept up. That is the reason I clicked on this thread.

Back when cops were carrying wheel-guns, there were a number of pistol teams, with a lot of cops shooting Pythons. Several years ago, I bought a 6" from a cop friend, that owned a gun shop. He was a long time target shooter and has ,for many years now, shooting a number of semi-autos, including 1911's and various striker fired pistols.

I like the Smiths and own quite a few. In my limited , but long time, experience , I prefer the Pythons. The weight of the Python is more steady, accurate for me.

I think one thing overlooked is the second "hand" that locked up the cylinder as it was fired. I also know the "hand" accounted for Pythons to get out of time , quite easily rectified.

The Smiths were 1: 18 twist...the pythons stabilized slugs better with a 1: 14 twist. Another thing is the "gain" bbl. on the python. if the new Pythons have that , I have no idea.

I have shot my 6 " a lot and it is quite accurate . I wish I could do as well with the new pistols. I recently bought a new Sig P 365 and a S&W 2.0. Even though , not the same class as the Pythons or Smiths, for that matter I have a harder time with all the semis'. I have a couple 8" pyhons , haven't shot them much. One not at all.

I don't reckon I will be too interested in the new ones.

I also need a scope for my Camo Anaconda.

Just my experience.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Not a handgunner, hence the stupid question...if you had Python, the best Smith, or a Dan Wesson and a Ransome Rest under identical conditions...which would be likely to take the honors?
Accuracy only, no ergonomics, no cosmetics, no personal bias.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Not a handgunner, hence the stupid question...if you had Python, the best Smith, or a Dan Wesson and a Ransome Rest under identical conditions...which would be likely to take the honors?
Accuracy only, no ergonomics, no cosmetics, no personal bias.

Couldn't draw a conclusion from a sample of one each. Testing 100 or better yet 1000 of each might show a trend. Change loads and it's all up in the air again. I doubt the average user could realize any slight advantage one might show over the other.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,906 guests, and 1,404 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,443
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.