Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In June of 2019 4 teenage girls, ages 15 and 16, were killed in a car accident.

Now the parents have filed tort litigation against the County, claiming that the road is poorly designed where the accident occurred.

There were 5 girls in the car when the accident occurred, 4 died and 1 survived. According to published news reports, 4 of the 5 girls had been drinking, including the driver, who was reported to have had a 0.09 BAC, and the accident investigator reported that the car was traveling approximately 90 MPH in a 55 MPH zone when it hit a guard rail, left the road, landed in a creek bed, and burst into flames.

It seems to me that the primary cause of this tragic accident was the underage consumption of alcohol by the driver, such that she was legally drunk, and still would have been if she had been 5 years older and of legal drinking age. If you add the high rate of speed, the driver's limited experience behind the wheel, and her alcohol consumption together the cause of the accident seems obvious.

I've driven across the road where the accident occurred dozens, maybe hundreds, of times and the shallow "S" curve at the point of the accident didn't even register as being anything worthy of note when traveling around 55 MPH.

It seems to me that this litigation is an attempt by the parents of the dead teens to leverage the deaths for their financial gain.

What to you guys think?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed, if she was going 90 in a 55 would think the suit wouldn't go far, but you never know.....

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M

Very sad, but, I agree.....$$$! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Parents are bitter over losing the lives of their children and I can understand this. By suing they can put the blame on someone else for their tragedy. They realize they were not very good parents otherwise their kids would not be drinking and driving at 15/16.
Its so much easier to blame someone else. Add in a attorney who wants a cut of the action and its a no win all the way around.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Terrible!

Glad I didn't work that wreck.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
What is the political affiliation of the parents and do they support the BLM movement?

That is all that matters.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Natural selection at work. Cleaned up the gene pool a little. No way that law suit will win. The underage drinking and excessive speed will negate it. Plus in many places a teenage driver is limited on the number of passengers they can have in the car. That may come into play as well.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It should get tossed out.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Parents are bitter over losing the lives of their children and I can understand this. By suing they can put the blame on someone else for their tragedy. They realize they were not very good parents otherwise their kids would not be drinking and driving at 15/16.
Its so much easier to blame someone else. Add in a attorney who wants a cut of the action and its a no win all the way around.

^ Yep.

Probably not for financial gain but to get someone to co-sign on their blaming of someone... ANYONE else for what they recognize was largely their problem.

We need tort reform in this country rather desperately.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
It should get tossed out.

Ya mean like the Flynn persecution?

The rule of law is dead in American, there is no “should”, left in our court systems.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B3

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Some people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...

must find fault in others.

It truly seems to me that today victimhood has absolutely no negative connotations... and somehow a badge of honor for many.

‐-----------

Years ago there was a car talk episode where the brothers were berating a wealthy mother for buying her daughter a 150 mile per hour capable BMW for her 16th birthday.

------------

My son's first car was is a basic Ford Explorer with a small V8 and 6 spark plugs. He got the last two spark plugs when he turned 18.

Last edited by CashisKing; 07/07/20.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Some people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...

must find fault in others.

It truly seems to me that today victimhood has absolutely no negative connotations... and somehow a badge of honor for many.

‐-----------

Years ago there was a car talk episode where the brothers were berating a wealthy mother for buying her daughter a 150 mile per hour capable BMW for her 16th birthday.

------------

My son's first car what is a basic Ford Explorer have a small V8 and 6 spark plugs. He got the last two spark plugs when he turned 18.

Technically, he had 8 spark plugs but only six of them had tips

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Still tragic no matter what. parents are hurting for sure. I couldn't guess if they have any recourse through the courts. Might just be the drivers fault for speeding and drinking. When I was young there were plenty of times I was drinking & driving and I could have wound up dead or injured. Lots of young folk still do it today. When I was 12 I lost my oldest cousin, who was 19 or 20, in a car wreck. He had been drinking and was speeding and lost control on a curve. He died and 2 or 3 passengers survived. I used to think of him once in a while when I was in that age bracket and driving around under the influence. It often, (but not always) slowed me down but there I was still driving under the influence of alcohol. Despite all the anti-DWI programs some young folks are still gonna do that stuff. It's terrible to see young lives snuffed out like that. They should bring back all those gory movies that kids once saw in driver education courses in high school.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Now the parents have filed tort litigation against the County, claiming that the road is poorly designed where the accident occurred.

There were 5 girls in the car when the accident occurred, 4 died and 1 survived. According to published news reports, 4 of the 5 girls had been drinking, including the driver, who was reported to have had a 0.09 BAC, and the accident investigator reported that the car was traveling approximately 90 MPH in a 55 MPH zone when it hit a guard rail, left the road, landed in a creek bed, and burst into flames.

It seems to me that the primary cause of this tragic accident was the underage consumption of alcohol by the driver, such that she was legally drunk, and still would have been if she had been 5 years older and of legal drinking age. If you add the high rate of speed, the driver's limited experience behind the wheel, and her alcohol consumption together the cause of the accident seems obvious.

I've driven across the road where the accident occurred dozens, maybe hundreds, of times and the shallow "S" curve at the point of the accident didn't even register as being anything worthy of note when traveling around 55 MPH.

It seems to me that this litigation is an attempt by the parents of the dead teens to leverage the deaths for their financial gain.

What to you guys think?

Facts don't matter when an attorney can manipulate the facts into what ever he wants them to be. The parents are mad at someone and they found an accomplice to get revenge. It's lawsuit lottery time. The County will pay it off just to get it out of their hair.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

What to you guys think?

I feel for the parents here.
But if it were someone else's children and they were presented with the same facts (BAC and high rate of speed), I can't help but think they'd see things very differently. And it's no wonder a large majority of our youth are convinced they can do no wrong when this is the sort of example that's being set for them.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Recently had a 9 year old girl die locally after being swept into the current while playing in the river unsupervised.

“The cops weren’t there fast enough”

“Why isn’t there warning signs”

“Why isn’t there a fence”

“Why are they quitting so early in the day while they should be looking for her body”

It’s the society we live in and it’s not going to get better.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think I would be looking more into where their access to the alcohol came from than why the state had to build the road the way they did.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe

Well said.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know someone who sued when his son was killed in a car wreck.
A police chase went around a road block and hit the boy head on.
The law suit was over the bad road block.

It was very unusual to win against the gov on traffic accidents.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Tragic accident. Any possibility of it being to a poorly designed or maintained road is negated by the bad decisions of the driver involving alcohol and speed of travel. No-go.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
743 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,895 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,589
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.