Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

Recall something about the coureur des sacs had 200lb bundles and ate 6lbs of jerky a day. Probably lived to about 35 lol.
I've wondered about how many of them threw their backs out and starved to death because they weren't able to move.

Maybe it was 2) 100lb bales. Regardless, a heck of a way to see the country, all without ass wipe or deet!

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I almost drowned when I was 16 and was packing about 120 lb moose quarter on a frame in the dark and fell off of a beaver dam into water that was about 8 ft deep and muddy. I didn't want to lose the meat so I made it but it was a cool S O B evening and I had to strip and build a bonfire in order not to go into shock.

I have done some short heavy packs with moose( big ones) where packs were more than 300lbs but my last goat hunt was tough(three years ago). I packed the whole boned goat and gear from 1 mile above the upper Barnard Airstrip to the Chitina River Strip. This might not seem that rugged to you elk hunters but Gary the pilot weighed the pack at 204lbs when we got to McCarthy. That was 24 miles of pure glacial warzone(crevasses, morraine and mud-hell). It took me two twenty hour days to get to the bottom. I ate that goat all the way down the mountain. The experience was tough enough that I was hallucinating at the end of the pack.

Good God man.

Ain't that the truth. I need to get kaboku's workout routine. Not that I could do it, but I figure just reading about it will whip my ass into shape!!

A wise man is frequently humbled.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My dad and I were bringing a big cow out down canyon on an old skid road one November morning. He was in his late 60s, me late 40's. It was colder than hell with some snow on the ground and ice everywhere. On his frame he had a front shoulder and the and neck meat and dragging the second front shoulder inside of two heavy duty garbage bags. I had one ham on my frame and the two backstraps and other ham in another heavy duty garbage bags. It worked out great until we crossed a small side creek not more than 6 feet across, where I lost my footing and landed on my back, with the frame and meat in the water. I was turtle like upside down with no way to turn over, or get to my feet. He shucked his load , got me out of my frame and after a bit we headed back down the hill. Not my worst pack by far, but memorable.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My partner and I once packed a medium sized bull 4 miles on a logging road with a common, garden variety wheelbarrow. It actually worked very well, mainly because it was mostly downhill. If it had been uphill, a backpack would have been much preferable.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys have packed out way more stuff on your back than I have, but even a big deer in pieces taxed my back muscles. After that I took apart an old wheel chair that I had and mounted the little front wheel under my pack frame. RC's mention of a wheelbarrow reminded me that now when I get tired of carrying pieces over frozen ground, I can just pull them like a wagon or wheel them them like a wheelbarrow.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I almost drowned when I was 16 and was packing about 120 lb moose quarter on a frame in the dark and fell off of a beaver dam into water that was about 8 ft deep and muddy. I didn't want to lose the meat so I made it but it was a cool S O B evening and I had to strip and build a bonfire in order not to go into shock.

I have done some short heavy packs with moose( big ones) where packs were more than 300lbs but my last goat hunt was tough(three years ago). I packed the whole boned goat and gear from 1 mile above the upper Barnard Airstrip to the Chitina River Strip. This might not seem that rugged to you elk hunters but Gary the pilot weighed the pack at 204lbs when we got to McCarthy. That was 24 miles of pure glacial warzone(crevasses, morraine and mud-hell). It took me two twenty hour days to get to the bottom. I ate that goat all the way down the mountain. The experience was tough enough that I was hallucinating at the end of the pack.

Remember the hsllucinations?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I've started weighing everything at the house now, since all meat gets hung in the room at the back of the shop and there is a gantry crane with a winch or a tractor and a scale so its pretty easy.

I will say that it always pretty funny when guys come up to hunt and start talking about how much weight they thought they had in a pack and then the scale comes out....Most guys are 50 pounds heavy on the estimation on average.

Last years bull elk was 98lbs bone in hinds and the tenderloins were 5lbs. Front quarters were 82 lbs apiece. Cow a few days earlier was 62 on the fronts with the rib roll attached (but no rib bones), tenderloins were 4lbs, and 60 lbs on the hinds.

Young bull moose (3 year old probably) was 42lbs on the fronts, 60 lbs on the rears (bone in), and 58 lbs of assorted goodies (rib roll, neck, heart, tenders, backstraps). Mused to my hunting pard that there was at least $60k worth of horses/atv's/and trailers at the house 45 minutes away, but no there we were packing moose quarters in backpacks like heathens.... His response was "sure, but they are $1000 backpacks, so its way lighter than carrying them in an Eberlestock." That was done in 5 trips -head and bag of goodies, rib cage sides and a front each, and then a hind each, but it was only about 1 kilometer each way.
That reminds me that I still haven't finished drafting that complaint letter to Stone Glacier's marketing department about how those moose quarters didn't feel like bags of down...….

The other one from later that day (4 year old maybe, but still not a big one) was 56 lbs (hide on) and then 50 lbs (hide off) for the front each (just the quarters, didn't weigh the bag of goodies as it was the second moose of the day and 25 hours since the alarm had gone off....), and 200 on the nose for both rears attached at the pelvis.

A few years ago I packed out a monster of a cow elk on the last day of the season 3km each way with a big grind to get up to the trail of a few hundred meters but then level for the most part in a MR Longbow. First trip was tenders/backstraps/front quarter and gear, second trip was neck/hind, and final was a front and a hind... That last one was 138 lbs on the scale, but that MR frame is pretty heavy. I would have weighed the rest but I didn't have the gantry crane at that point, and truth be told I was absolutely f*cking whipped by the time I got home and it was all I could do to get them all hung up.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.