Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Does anyone have any experience with any of the new Portugal made Winchester Model 70s. How accurate are the new ones? Any problems or issues that anyone has noticed? I am interested in one, but am not sure where the quality stands currently.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
They are fine. I have 2 Portugal guns that are featherweights in .308 and .270. With the right loads they will shoot moa, although the .270 was picky but once I found a load it liked its good to go. IMO, I think the stock work on the Portugal guns is better than the SC models. The checkering is clean/well done and fit and finish is very good. The bluing is nicely done as well. That being said, I just picked up a USA SC made 70fwt in 7mm 08. Its giving me fits as to what it likes but I'm almost there with load development. I would not hesitate to purchase another Portugal made 70 if I needed/wanted one.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Buy it.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Buy it.

yes

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another vote for buy it.

I know this will rub some the wrong way but I consider the new M70s to be as good or better than any ever produced.

And the apparently much coveted New Haven Models gave us nothing but trouble at the LGS when I worked there.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
They are fine. I have 2 Portugal guns that are featherweights in .308 and .270. With the right loads they will shoot moa, although the .270 was picky but once I found a load it liked its good to go. IMO, I think the stock work on the Portugal guns is better than the SC models. The checkering is clean/well done and fit and finish is very good. The bluing is nicely done as well. That being said, I just picked up a USA SC made 70fwt in 7mm 08. Its giving me fits as to what it likes but I'm almost there with load development. I would not hesitate to purchase another Portugal made 70 if I needed/wanted one.

That's why FN moved the production to Portugal. The SC FN plant built military firearms and they ended up with too many dings on stocks. Portugal had been assembling Browning shotguns for some time and their production was set up to handle wood stocked firearms. At least that is what I heard...

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Results from my Extreme Weather built in Portugal:

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Buy it and don't believe the BS about the triggers. I have 5 Portugal m 70s with the MOA trigger and they each break very crisp at around 3-3.5 pounds

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I have 3, a 270, 7mm Rem Mag, and 30-06. All took very little load development and all shoot very well. Fit and finish is real nice.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Is the factory bedding good on the new Portugal rifles?

The bedding used to be a weak spot on Winchesters years ago.

Is it worth the effort to glass bed the new rifles?

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
IC B3

G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
For me, I think bedding is necessary. I don't know how good the factory bedding is, it's just something I plan to do on all my rifles. I pillar and glass bed, and free float the barrels to the recoil lug when I do. I think it's worth the effort, even on aluminum block stocks. I simply don't think the machining, as good as it may be, can equal the tight fit to the action as a good glass bedding job. I have two Bell and Carlson stocks and bedded over the aluminum. Both rifles, Remingotn 700s, shoot very very well. Not to say a given rifle may not shoot well with the factory bedding, maybe it will...,maybe it won't, I just don't feel like wasting time to see, and figure good or improved bedding can't hurt, but only improve a rifle's performance. Just my two cents worth on bedding.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
For me, I think bedding is necessary. I don't know how good the factory bedding is, it's just something I plan to do on all my rifles. I pillar and glass bed, and free float the barrels to the recoil lug when I do. I think it's worth the effort, even on aluminum block stocks. I simply don't think the machining, as good as it may be, can equal the tight fit to the action as a good glass bedding job. I have two Bell and Carlson stocks and bedded over the aluminum. Both rifles, Remingotn 700s, shoot very very well. Not to say a given rifle may not shoot well with the factory bedding, maybe it will...,maybe it won't, I just don't feel like wasting time to see, and figure good or improved bedding can't hurt, but only improve a rifle's performance. Just my two cents worth on bedding.

I totally agree. It is a must, as far as I'm concerned.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

They are hit and miss. But better than the classics. We all know how those were:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Even factory "pillar bedded " rifles, at least for me, seem to benefit from being skim bedded. Naturally, I have has some high end pillar bedded factory rifles that shot extremely well as is. I remember the "hot glue" Winchester used too! ha

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel

I bedded mine, but compared to the classics, these are miles ahead. My last classic looked like it was bedded with elmers glue.

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by gatekeeper

Shoot it first before messing around with the bedding.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
This guy on GB has a bunch. Mixed "parentage", but some pretty nice ones. I only came to my senses just in time.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868370031

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
everybody has their opinion on things, and that's fine. To me, that's like saying don't balance your tires, drive them first to see if they need it lol

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
How do you know you're making it worse,better or no change at all with the "new" bedding without shooting it first?

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

They are hit and miss. But better than the classics. We all know how those were:

One of the scariest things I've seen out of "new" rifle.

Murphy was a grunt.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,601
Posts18,454,644
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.