Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm a fortunate guy. i have 2 sc model 70's, a supergrade and an ew. i've had a gunsmith adjust the triggers to 3 pounds but i haven't seen them out of their respective stocks. they both shoot extremely well with factory ammo. seeing some of these pics makes me want to take the barreled action out of the stock, but i probably won't. if it ain't broke..........

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i'm a fortunate guy. i have 2 sc model 70's, a supergrade and an ew. i've had a gunsmith adjust the triggers to 3 pounds but i haven't seen them out of their respective stocks. they both shoot extremely well with factory ammo. seeing some of these pics makes me want to take the barreled action out of the stock, but i probably won't. if it ain't broke..........

The pictures shown is the notorious "hotglue" bedding used on some New Haven guns. The new FN SC and Portugal guns are NOT bedded in that matter. A gray colored epoxy is used in the recoil lug and tang area and is well done for a production rifle. The stuff they use actually gets hard unlike what is shown in the pictures.

Elkhunter gave sound advice....actually shooting a rifle before mucking around with the bedding is a good idea. I own 5 of these newer FN 70s total. 3 are SC guns and 2 are Portugal. 3 of them shoot just fine as is with the triggers adjusted using an Ernie spring. The other 2 I put Timneys in. The MOA trigger gets a bad rap from some because of its design, but if a fella does not fool with the sear engagement adjustment a nice trigger pull can be had without a trip to the gunsmith with just a little bit of mechanical ability.

I had one rifle, a SC 30-06 featherweight, pillar and glassed because I could not get it to shoot well, and had a Williams steel bottom metal fitted at the same time. The main culprit was a poor factory crown though, and I had it recut and the problems I was having went away.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Buy it and don't believe the BS about the triggers. I have 5 Portugal m 70s with the MOA trigger and they each break very crisp at around 3-3.5 pounds

My gripe about the triggers is purely philosophical; I prefer simple mechanisms. I futzed with three of the old ones and got good pulls that seemed, at least, to be consistent and crisp. That's not always the case apparently. At any rate, it's unlikely I'll ever get any practical experience with the new ones as I'm pretty well rifled up, hunting rifles anyway. "Toys" are another matter entirely.

Those ones I saw on GB are very nice though.......

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Have 5 Portugal made model 70's, 1 extreme weather 06, 1 featherweight 06, 1 mod 70 featherweight stainless 06 and 2 compact featherweight 308's for grandkids, all have excellent fit/finish and accuracy. Did change triggers to timney's.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have had a few of them and they have been accurate and well made rifles. I just get ticked about the triggers, they are completely serviceable but I like the old triggers. Right now I have been working with a Sporter in 325 WSM. So far it has been accurate, but again, the trigger is pretty stiff and if I keep it, it'll get a Timney. But they are well machined and and accurate rifles.

Semper Fi
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Get an "Ernie the gunsmith" trigger spring for your MOA trigger in the new 70s. I was skeptical. It's pretty good and the installation is pretty easy. Step by step instructions online.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
I have a Portugal made Featherweight in .243. I find the fit and finish to be excellent. Nice stick of walnut and deep bluing. Mounted a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40mm on Talley lightweight rings. Groups under an inch at 100 yards with Federal blue box 100 gr. I dropped a doe with it the first season out with it. I found the trigger and lug bedding fine. I also own a 1990's M70 Lightweight in .280 Rem and a 2000's (last of the New Haven guns) M70 Heavy Varmint .308 with OEM HS Precision stock. They all shoot an inch or less without any custom work.

W
WAM Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
That being said, I just picked up a USA SC made 70fwt in 7mm 08. Its giving me fits as to what it likes but I'm almost there with load development. I would not hesitate to purchase another Portugal made 70 if I needed/wanted one.

Same here with a SC made Featherweight in 7x57. I got some 139 and 145 gr LRX to shoot well with RL 16 in another rifle so maybe the M70 will like that combo. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Mountain_Buck
That being said, I just picked up a USA SC made 70fwt in 7mm 08. Its giving me fits as to what it likes but I'm almost there with load development. I would not hesitate to purchase another Portugal made 70 if I needed/wanted one.

Same here with a SC made Featherweight in 7x57. I got some 139 and 145 gr LRX to shoot well with RL 16 in another rifle so maybe the M70 will like that combo. Happy Trails

So far the only thing I've found acceptable in my 7mm-08 is either a 139gr Hornady flatbase or a 140 Nosler BT over IMR 4350. Velocities are a bit on the slow side though. I'm getting 2600fps with the Noslers and 2700 with the Hornadys over the chronograph. I was hoping to reach 2800 but haven't found an accurate load that will do it. Have tried Varget, 4064, and Big Game. Didn't find any magic in my rifle with those 3 powders..still searching. The 139gr Hornady is more than acceptable and will put 3 in an inch, so that may well end up being the load for this rifle. Having lots of those bullets helps too.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ingwe
Another vote for buy it.

I know this will rub some the wrong way but I consider the new M70s to be as good or better than any ever produced.

And the apparently much coveted New Haven Models gave us nothing but trouble at the LGS when I worked there.

+1 to your comments.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

326 members (1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 264mag, 31 invisible), 2,452 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,452
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.