Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have been wanting a 6.5 Creedmoor in a stainless Remington Model 700, and almost went the Mountain Rifle route, but I bit the bullet and bought the American Hunter. It's cerakote, with a B&C stock, 20 inch fluted barrel with 5 R rifling, and supposedly the receiver and barrel are blueprinted. For what it cost, it should be all of that and even more. Out of the box, I was impressed, and really liked what I saw, until I tried the trigger. They took a really nice rifle and put a damned XMark-Pro trigger on it, advertised as being "enhanced", whatever the heck that's supposed to mean. The trigger was crappy, a little over 4 pounds and wouldn't adjust any lower with the external screw, so I said screw it, and replaced it with a XMark trigger that I'd taken off another 700, one that was set at 3 pounds.

The rifle comes with attached Leupold Mark 4 bases, with the 8-40 screws. I put a Nikon Monarch 3 2.5X10, with BDC on it, and the package weighs 8.5 pounds. Shot it today at 100 yards, using several different handloads that I had on hand. One shot to get on target, then I shot the 3 shot group, H4350 and a 120 Sierra SP. I'm not sure why that group showed a little vertical stringing, as the others did not. Anyway, not too bad for a right out of the box rifle.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B6

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
looks good, it will be interesting what you settle on for "the load"

J
jdb Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I’m not a creed more fan but I’ve really been drooling over that rifle

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If you need to recover say.....
1k of the cost of it....

Have your peeps contact my peeps about a certain rifle I would buy off ya .

Like tommorow at time and place of your choosing....

Really good for outta the box and the 1st loads sent down the tube.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/07/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Remington has had it's problems, but the 700 design is quite capable given good execution. I picked up a 5R Milspec in 6.5 Creedmoor late last year. The store had a good deal on Berger factory ammo at the same time so I went home with five boxes.

I gave the bore a patching out with Ballistol just to make sure nothing was lurking in there and mounted and bore sighted a scope. My first shot at 100 yards was pretty close to center so I held off on making adjustments. The next two just wallowed out the hole a bit. grin

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Maybe someday Big Green will make a trigger worthy of the action. (sarcasm).

Cool model, thanks for sharing.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I recently bought a 5R heavy barrel 223. I was hoping that it would prefer heavier bullets, but it is showing a preference for lighter ones in early testing. It's rare anyone isn't really happy with their 700 5R accuracy.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by renegade50
1k of the cost of it....

You must mean that Savage Axis I bought at Wallyworld. I think we could work something out. My people will be in contact.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My problem is that my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, as I'm 70 and wear glasses, and am needing new glasses right now. So, it's hard for me to really bear down and shoot tight groups like I use to be able to do. But, this is the forth Creed I've had. One was a Howa, the other two were Model 700's, the ADL's. All shot 120 grain bullets really well, with only one of the 700's giving slightly better accuracy with 140 grain bullets.

I really like the 6.5 CM as deer hunting round, practically no recoil, plenty of power, and a very good choice of reloading components. As I said, this is a nice rifle, maybe not quite as slim and trim as I'd prefer, but my hunting consists of sitting in a deer blind, so weight is not really a concern. Had weight been a concern, I'd probably gone with the Mountain Rifle or a rifle in the Model Seven lineup.

Remington has got quite a knock in recent years, but I can honestly say that I've never had one that wasn't a good shooter, at least as far as I'm concerned. I just don't like their triggers, and I still don't understand why they don't make a better one. I'm down to one Model 700 with the old Walker trigger, the others have been replaced, and as soon as I can, I'll replace this one with a Timney or Triggertech.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Same money you could have bought a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 and it will outshoot it and it comes with a trigger tech trigger.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
JamesJr, good luck with your new rifle. Accuracy looks promising, and I hope the rifle is all you want it to be.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Hey, that's a good looking rifle. It's a dead ringer for my Rem 700 in .308

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by JamesJr
1k of the cost of it....

You must mean that Savage Axis I bought at Wallyworld. I think we could work something out. My people will be in contact.

Yep ....
Thats the one!!!
crazy laugh

If ya do think about it.
I can have 1k on the way in less than an hour.
I'm serious.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
My problem is that my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, as I'm 70 and wear glasses, and am needing new glasses right now. So, it's hard for me to really bear down and shoot tight groups like I use to be able to do. But, this is the forth Creed I've had. One was a Howa, the other two were Model 700's, the ADL's. All shot 120 grain bullets really well, with only one of the 700's giving slightly better accuracy with 140 grain bullets.

I really like the 6.5 CM as deer hunting round, practically no recoil, plenty of power, and a very good choice of reloading components. As I said, this is a nice rifle, maybe not quite as slim and trim as I'd prefer, but my hunting consists of sitting in a deer blind, so weight is not really a concern. Had weight been a concern, I'd probably gone with the Mountain Rifle or a rifle in the Model Seven lineup.

Remington has got quite a knock in recent years, but I can honestly say that I've never had one that wasn't a good shooter, at least as far as I'm concerned. I just don't like their triggers, and I still don't understand why they don't make a better one. I'm down to one Model 700 with the old Walker trigger, the others have been replaced, and as soon as I can, I'll replace this one with a Timney or Triggertech.

Cardboard target
1 to 1.5 inch orange dot.
Single uncluttered target to draw your eye and nothing else
Adjust the eyepeice for your vision with glasses.
You should be able to get it good.
Does that nikon reticle appear to have a bowing/curved/ flexing effect to it at all.
Especially in or near the cross hair junction?
Especially on higher power?
That might be a slight issue ????
That can cause a slight poi change sometimes.

Inhale and exhale on that dot
Watching crosshair go up and down on target
Should stay on it at natrual exhale pause between breathes
Make slight adjustments to bag to get it in that condition

Exhale
Let crosshair settle on to dot
Shoot.
You will have about a 1 to 3 second pause to sqeeze off a shot before your brain says inhale.

You might even get to the point where you see reticle bounce from your heartbeat. Which tells you that you are really close in good technique and getting the breathing cycle down.
Reticle bounce should taper off with a good breathing cycle but you cant eliminate it entirely , but can soften it.

Repeat.
Dont force a shot at bottom of breathing cycle
Dont force a shot if your vision starts to blur
Just start another breathing cycle to start a shot cycle again.

You probably already know this stuff anyways.

Good aftermarket trigger is gonna help ya alot.

Why cant remington get schitt right with triggers.
Gawd...
Espeically on the higher end rifles...

Benjamins is what it is.

Last edited by renegade50; 07/08/20.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Another thing with some scopes with fast focus eyepeice
Is actual dramatic reticle shift in the sight picture.
Looking thru the scope.
Grab the actual moving focus piece and see if it moves side to side and up and down .
You will see the reticle shifting if the fast focus inner sleeve is made with excessive tolerance.
Well made fast focus eyepeice scopes have zero reticle movement.
Then their are the all others...

I use lock ring scopes.
I cant stand the thought of a reticle possible shifting in my sight picture in a loose tolerance fast focus scope.

I am plagued with OCD issues.......

LOL!!!

Last edited by renegade50; 07/08/20.
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Ren, that scope is one of those Nikon's that Walmart cleared out at $99 a few years ago. I drove all the way to Sikeston, MO. just to get it, because you and slumlord had bought all the ones locally......lol. Well, I was wanting to eat at Lamberts anyway, so the trip was worth it.

I like the scope as far as hunting applications go, as it's clear, and I've found the BDC spot on with the 6.5CM. But, for target work, the crosshairs are a little too thick for my liking. Add to that my old man eyes, and I don't shoot with that scope as well as I do with others, but as I said, I like that BDC on there, so for now, I'll keep using that scope on that rifle.

The focus on it isn't really an issue, although it does not have the locking ring, as you know.

JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Same money you could have bought a Christensen Mesa in 6.5 and it will outshoot it and it comes with a trigger tech trigger.

I could have bought a lot of stuff for the same money, but didn't. I bought what I wanted, and that's they way it's supposed to work. Right?

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Ren, that scope is one of those Nikon's that Walmart cleared out at $99 a few years ago. I drove all the way to Sikeston, MO. just to get it, because you and slumlord had bought all the ones locally......lol. Well, I was wanting to eat at Lamberts anyway, so the trip was worth it.

I like the scope as far as hunting applications go, as it's clear, and I've found the BDC spot on with the 6.5CM. But, for target work, the crosshairs are a little too thick for my liking. Add to that my old man eyes, and I don't shoot with that scope as well as I do with others, but as I said, I like that BDC on there, so for now, I'll keep using that scope on that rifle.

The focus on it isn't really an issue, although it does not have the locking ring, as you know.

For bold crosshairs.
Try a home made 4 square target,1 square in each corner quadrant of the reticle with a bright orange 1 inch dot in the center to shoot.
When the dot disappears and each square is sitting in its corner.
Squeeze off the shot.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Using a approx 1 moa base for dimensions
Handjamming one up.

Try something like this with a bold cross hair.
Zero at high magnification.
Then shoot it on low mag.
You might be really surprised at group size shrinking versus a busy sensory overload target in ranges of your power setting.

Lots of targets have too many colors and are busy as heck with all the "features" on em espeically on higher magnification.

Send a vision image to the brain that is simple for it to define versus it having to process alot of blended stuff from a busy target.

And ya also save money not buying sensory overloaded targets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I could have bought a lot of stuff for the same money, but didn't. I bought what I wanted, and that's they way it's supposed to work. Right?

Should have known better then tell someone how to spend their money. Apology extended.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Using a approx 1 moa base for dimensions
Handjamming one up.

Try something like this with a bold cross hair.
Zero at high magnification.
Then shoot it on low mag.
You might be really surprised at group size shrinking versus a busy sensory overload target in ranges of your power setting.

Lots of targets have too many colors and are busy as heck with all the "features" on em espeically on higher magnification.

Send a vision image to the brain that is simple for it to define versus it having to process alot of blended stuff from a busy target.

And ya also save money not buying sensory overloaded targets.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

This............

I made this one, works well, feel free to 'steal' it and use it.......

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
JamesJr Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Should have known better then tell someone how to spend their money. Apology extended.

No apology needed. Just knew what I wanted and used the profit from some other sales to get it. We good.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I had hoped the NRA would of followed up this year with a 24 inch 6.5 PRC version of that rifle. I despise Remington with a passion, but I'd buy that model.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
I had hoped the NRA would of followed up this year with a 24 inch 6.5 PRC version of that rifle. I despise Remington with a passion, but I'd buy that model.

You either love Remingtons or hate 'em. I generally love them. Don't get me wrong, I'd prefer a pre 64 Model 70 any day. but prefer the price of a 721-722-725-700 Remington. I' ve got 3 700s in the safe right now, one .30-06 SPS, one .22-250 ADL Synthetic, and one .243 ADL Synthetic. The X Mark Pro triggers are a real POS out of the box but they are somewhat salvageable. All mine are accurate and are serviceable hunters. I also have a vintage Model 721 in .30-06 that I haven't even shot yet. They're all good rifles. Like I say, out of the box the newer rifles are not my cup of tea, but if you get one cheap enough you can work with them and make them good shooters. I've never had one that wouldn't shoot with a little fine tuning.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/08/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Triggertech has added a Model Seven trigger to their line. Put one in that rifle.

-JW
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I just accept that a 700 needs a little work to reach it's best. I agree, the new factory triggers aren't worth fooling with, and just for over the money for a Timney. Lots of good trigger options now, but I do like the Timneys a lot. Combine that with a good bedding job, insure the barrel is free floated in a good stock, and you generally have an accurate rifle. John Barsness, who has a lot of experience shooting different rifles, said a tuned 700 generally shoots very close with most custom rifles. I agree, I own 5 currently, and have many others in the past. 1" or better at 100yds is the norm.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I don’t care for Remington quality of late, but the 2 old M700’s I have shoot sub moa with the right ammo. But then again, so do all 4 of my Weatherby's....

Congratulations on a very nice rig. Enjoy!

Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one semi-custom M700 in my safe. It has a Triggertech trigger which I think is the best replacement trigger I have ever owned. They cost a little more than a Timney, but are worth the extra cost. You might consider one when ready to replace in your nice rifle. That rifle deserves a good trigger!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Nice rifle. You will like it.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They're over priced. Guess Remington is trying to make some dollars after their bankruptcy. You know things are bad when they're trying to sell the business to the Navajo Nation. I wonder how many blankets they'll get. But, I do have a Model 700. After replacing the trigger (worst part about Remingtons)) with a timney, it's a real tack driver. I do, however, favor their two stage safety over my Winchester Model 70's three stage saftey.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
684 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 78 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,444 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,581
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.