Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R

Hi there,

I am looking to hear from people who have swapped same scope between two rifles using the Leupold Quick Release Post base system (as opposed to the rail type bases).

I really want to hear from either gunsmiths or folks who have actually tried it and get their results.

If you did it, how well did it work for you and what were the issues?

Thanks

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Question reminds me of getting one alignment for two cars.

NRA Benefactor Member

"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizenry still gets to vote!"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never really looked at it that way. I always considered it was to have two scopes zeroed for one rifle so that if your original scope crapped out you could switch scopes and be back in business... this actually saved me on my African trip years ago. Bent the tube on a scope and it was shooting way off... changed scopes and kept hunting....

Having one scope for two rifles would mean you would have to have the difference in adjustments for zero written down somewhere and adjust the scope when it changed rifles. Assuming the dials were accurate and everything went together solidly and accurately, I guess it could work, but it seems like a really big if.....

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yep. Though I've only done it with Picatinny Warnes before.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can't believe that it would work without re-zeroing the scope every time that you swapped it between rifles because the adjustments are in the scope, rather than in the mount like the old B&L Bal- series adjustable bases.

IC B2

R
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
What I am hoping is that each rifle will have a constant scope adjustment... For instance, from Rifle A to Rifle B: left 5 clicks, up 8 clicks. and then from Rifle B to Rifle A right 5 clicks and down 8 clicks.

Each rifle would have a different scope adjustment, but if it is a constant between the rifles, it would seem to work.

Since both rifles are of the same small manufacturer, and model.... early model Dakotas..

Last edited by rblum100; 07/07/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sheister
Never really looked at it that way. I always considered it was to have two scopes zeroed for one rifle so that if your original scope crapped out you could switch scopes and be back in business...
Bob

This

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Captain
Question reminds me of getting one alignment for two cars.

The first answer is often the best... as is the case here.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you think about dimensional differences and inexactness of hole placements in the two different receivers and base sets vs the fixed position of the rings attached to the scope you may start getting an idea of the feasibility, or rather the lack thereof, of your proposal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by rblum100
What I am hoping is that each rifle will have a constant scope adjustment... For instance, from Rifle A to Rifle B: left 5 clicks, up 8 clicks. and then from Rifle B to Rifle A right 5 clicks and down 8 clicks.

Each rifle would have a different scope adjustment, but if it is a constant between the rifles, it would seem to work.

Since both rifles are of the same small manufacturer, and model.... early model Dakotas..

That's exactly how it'll work within the variances of the mounts and scope. I swapped a Bushnell Elite 5200? 2.5-16 between a Rem 700 and a Savage BVSS, both railed mind you, like this for a while. It took a lot of clicks in this case though. Between two identical systems should be better. Does make one want another scope for sure.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rails make all the difference.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
You MIGHT be able to do that with a scope that had repeatable adjustments.

Not sure if Leupold meets that requirement these days.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I keep a Bushnell Pro boresighter in my gun bag at all times and have a grid pre-marked for each rifle. This is how I would get close enough to zero in an emergency as a backup for counting clicks. It will get at least within 3" of the bull every time once you have established the grid coordinates for each rifle.

If you do this, there are many cheap bore sighters out there that might get you on paper at 100 yards, but not much more than that. Make sure you get a high-quality unit that gives repeatable results.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/07/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had them on a couple rifles and they returned within a click or so.

It was kind of a pita, but it certainly worked.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have found the Leupold QR rings are pretty close, at least minute of deer. It could save a hunt, but switching between rifles? Differences in caliber bullet weight, on and on. I doubt the "zero" on one rifle would match the "zero" on another different rifle. If one tracked the "clicks" then perhaps one could switch and get minute of deer close enough.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If one tracked the "clicks" then perhaps one could switch and get minute of deer close enough.

How well that would work out would depend on repeatability of the installation (torque, etc.) and how well the scope itself tracks.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Why I have scopes for each rifle........ The QR mounts do track pretty close. On the hunt of a lifetime perhaps worth the effort to have another scope mounted, zeroed, and in reserve. Normally I just bring a backup rifle, never have yet to have to use one.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Colour me doubtful. Getting the bases squared up to accept the scope on both rifles - with rings fixed, of course - is the first big hurdle. Even if that can be overcome, needing to rely on the adjustments to trust enough to not have to check zero after sqaping the scope over to the other rifle, narrows the scopes right down...to very few. One being in the 300 $ Rang so cheap, you might just get a second scope for the other gun.

Seems...convoluted.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Seems like buying another scope would be much less of a PITA.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

If you used a picatiny rail and a torque wrench to install t OK the base each time and sighted in the scope pl e on each rifle and recorded the settings it will work.

A lot easier to have a scope fv or each ri fv le in my opinion

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

132 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 17 invisible), 1,758 guests, and 962 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.