Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Something very similar, back in the early '90's - almost the exact scenario.
Chrysler Corp, and NMDOT paid big bucks for kid's stupidity.

My personal opinion - when you leave the black stuff between the trees - you're on your own.
Age, drunkeness, and excessive speed just aggravate things.

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I believe we all have had to sign the release waiver at birth for our actions. There are inherent risks when one gets out of bed in the morning. Unfortunately, stupidity is oft times rewarded with tragedy. I do not believe any of us have escaped that reality! Sad deal for families to endure this, but all the years I did SAR and water rescue, every single time someone was looking to place blame elsewhere!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same conversation thousands of parents and people - mostly white, need to have to find “someone or something” to assign blame for their tragedy.

Parents or spouse of any shooting...Guns is the problem, not the individual who performed the action.

Son, daughter, spouse, family member, overdoses on drugs. Prescription Opioids caused them to seek out illegal street drugs that eventually killed them.

Daughter was drunk assed and accidentally kills herself and friends...It’s the roads fault.

Maybe people should look internally first and be more objective...My kid made a mistake that took lives. Maybe we as parents didn’t do enough to educate her to the dangers of drinking and driving...Maybe we did...Life is dangerous, for everyone.

Maybe we didn’t raise our kid with strong enough mental fortitude that when the prescription for pain meds ran out, you don’t hit the street looking for a bigger, better high. Deal with the small dependency, if there was any from a prescription for 20 pills. Millions of others have done it without issue.

A lot of people refuse to take responsibility for anything...And their kids are living proof of it participating in protests, riots, looting, and violence.

😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Originally Posted by Swifty52
ok, here y’all go, exact location looking west. Teens were traveling east, smacked a guard rail and flipped into the creek bed. Parents looking for a financial out as there was probably a clause in the insurance policy about payout if driver was drinking due to Nebraska’s zero tolerance law for teen drivers.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I wasn’t a guardrail inspector, but looks to me like that guardrail was probably up to standards. I’d just bet they were already in a WOS coming out of that curve and the guardrail was secondary issue when struck. And there wasn’t anyway it was gonna keep em out of the ditch.

But I did do speed zone surveys for 12 years. And if thats just a section of typical rural roadway, I see no real reason why it shouldn’t be a 55 MPH zone as that intermediate SL sign indicates. I’d even go as far to bet that the 85th percentile speed (if it was surveyed) is probably around 62-64 MPH!

This past Sunday afternoon I drove across Plattview Road from NE Highway 31 in the west to NE Highway 50 in the east and back again. When I was on my way back to the west, a couple of what appeared to be generic teenage boys passed me just east of the accident site at what I would estimate to be between 65 and 75 MPH, IOW significantly faster than I was traveling at around 58 MPH, I watched as they passed through that stretch of road without any issues and without slowing down, assuming that their brake light worked.

I find it interesting that the survivor has been photo-shopped out of the pictures that the parents of the dead girls are posting and have had laminated for display at the crash site memorial that has been erected.

I think that the parents want to fix blame onto anyone other than their exceptional daughters and they want to profit from it if they can.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Same conversation thousands of parents and people - mostly white, need to have to find “someone or something” to assign blame for their tragedy.

Parents or spouse of any shooting...Guns is the problem, not the individual who performed the action.

Son, daughter, spouse, family member, overdoses on drugs. Prescription Opioids caused them to seek out illegal street drugs that eventually killed them.

Daughter was drunk assed and accidentally kills herself and friends...It’s the roads fault.

Maybe people should look internally first and be more objective...My kid made a mistake that took lives. Maybe we as parents didn’t do enough to educate her to the dangers of drinking and driving...Maybe we did...Life is dangerous, for everyone.

Maybe we didn’t raise our kid with strong enough mental fortitude that when the prescription for pain meds ran out, you don’t hit the street looking for a bigger, better high. Deal with the small dependency, if there was any from a prescription for 20 pills. Millions of others have done it without issue.

A lot of people refuse to take responsibility for anything...And their kids are living proof of it participating in protests, riots, looting, and violence.

😎

Not just white people. How often do you hear the mother, never the father, of a dead black kid say that her son was a good boy who was getting his life together or that he only sold a little weed to provide for his family, he might be 24 with 6 kids by 4 different women, or that his criminal record was due of the bad crowd that he hung with, not because he was guilty of any "real" criminal activities.

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Isn't it bad enough when kids die?

No need to kill the truth after.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Beaver10

😎

Not just white people. How often do you hear the mother, never the father, of a dead black kid say that her son was a good boy who was getting his life together or that he only sold a little weed to provide for his family, he might be 24 with 6 kids by 4 different women, or that his criminal record was due of the bad crowd that he hung with, not because he was guilty of any "real" criminal activities.

Excellent point...I just had this conversation with my wife this morning...My question was “Why do blacks always say their dead son, brother, uncle, dad was the best dude ever, when they have a criminal record longer than my leg”?

Wifey’s take on it was they have grown up where incarceration is a product of their lives. They don’t see it as something to be ashamed of. If anything, it’s one less kid to worry about on the street, or mouth to feed.

Sounded plausible....😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Some people ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...

must find fault in others.

It truly seems to me that today victimhood has absolutely no negative connotations... and somehow a badge of honor for many.

‐-----------

Years ago there was a car talk episode where the brothers were berating a wealthy mother for buying her daughter a 150 mile per hour capable BMW for her 16th birthday.

------------

My son's first car what is a basic Ford Explorer have a small V8 and 6 spark plugs. He got the last two spark plugs when he turned 18.

Technically, he had 8 spark plugs but only six of them had tips

In the fall of my 14th birthday, I paid $25 for a Rambler American 440 that didn't run. My dad's idea was that I'd work on it, and work on it, slowly bringing it into running condition. Maybe when I was 15 1/2 or so.

It got flat towed to our place on a Saturday. Sunday afternoon, it was running - a bad condenser killed the points. Replaced both and bingo! Anyway, hijinks on Friday nights when the folks would go out dancing ensued. But always solo, always sober, always drove conservatively.

Since the statute of limitations has expired, you might want to ask your son how easy is it to swap plugs in an Explorer...

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We all make mistakes, some more than others, and we mostly survive them.

I remember vividly the last time that I drove while impaired. In the summer of 1986 I was headed home from a party and nodded off at the wheel. My angel woke me in time to avoid hitting a bridge abutment on I-93 north of Boston. Talk about an adrenaline rush! I was scared straight and had well over 100K miles behind the wheel that night. I was 31 at the time. I didn't drive impaired very often before that night and not at all since. I figure that I used up my second mulligan that night and that tempting fate might not be prudent.

My Wife's Cousin bullseyed a huge dead cottonwood tree near Bradshaw, NE, in 1987. He fell asleep at the wheel, no alcohol or drugs in his system, and hit the only tree close to the road for at least a mile in either direction as dead center as it could possible be hit. He died at the scene of the accident and it took a lot out of his parents. His angel must have been on break, while mine was on duty and paying attention.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The state or county will settle out of court, not admitting fault. It will be money paid to go away.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Rule of thumb in teaching if a kid gets hurt on a hiking trip etc....

The worst parents are the ones most likely to sue.

Exactly !

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The worst parents are the ones most likely to sue.[/quote]

Ironic but the worst parents have the best kids.

At rollerskating, my 9 year old daughter was helping scrape gum off
the floor. A mother ask what they were doing, I told her.

"Ewww! That's gross, she shouldnt have to clean that up, why would somebody do that".

"Well, when she saw them working on it, she volunteered. Someone has
to clean it up. And I'm sure some of the gum was accidental, most was
just spit out."

Mom, "Well, that's nasty, my girls aren't cleaning it up! They would never
do something like that! Thank God I have good kids!

Not really!

I have seen this play out so much, I have a line I love.

"Most people that "Have Good Kids",
don't!"

Good Kids come from parents who know their kids will screw up.
Look for it.
And address it in a manner that is remembered.

Many are so narcissistic that they just know, because it's their kid,
that they are perfect. Just like Mom!

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 07/07/20.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In Northern California there is a place called Ruth Lake. There is a memorial there on the shore from a similar type of accident but they crashed into the lake. It’s very sad to see so many young people die.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
After reading this entire thread, this is the only response worth quoting.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Terrible!

Glad I didn't work that wreck.

I hope those folks can make peace with that night.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

The worst parents are the ones most likely to sue.

Ironic but the worst parents have the best kids.

At rollerskating, my 9 year old daughter was helping scrape gum off
the floor. A mother ask what they were doing, I told her.

"Ewww! That's gross, she shouldnt have to clean that up, why would somebody do that".

"Well, when she saw them working on it, she volunteered. Someone has
to clean it up. And I'm sure some of the gum was accidental, most was
just spit out."

Mom, "Well, that's nasty, my girls aren't cleaning it up! They would never
do something like that! Thank God I have good kids!

Not really!

I have seen this play out so much, I have a line I love.

"Most people that "Have Good Kids",
don't!"

Good Kids come from parents who know their kids will screw up.
Look for it.
And address it in a manner that is remembered.

Many are so narcissistic that they just know, because it's their kid,
that they are perfect. Just like Mom!

[/quote]

I disagree that the worst parents have the best kids.

The worst parents that I've encountered have been abusive and/or substance abusers and many of their kids were as bad, or worse, than their parents. But good, better, best, bad, worse, worst are adjectives that are selected by someone passing judgement. I'm generally indifferent toward other people and their children as their very existence is of no consequence to me.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yes. I have been teaching Drivers Ed (Classroom/Behind the wheel) for a long time. I teach 8-12 students behind the wheel a month. Ten % of them seem to drive as well as experienced drivers. 40% are decent and require some minor coaching in "turning" the car"/when to start breaking. 30% make for a very uncomfortable day and the the bottom 20% are terrible. 6 hours behind the wheel. Over the years I have only had one I could not train. Whenever there is more than one teenager in a car with a 15yr- 19yr old driver mistakes being made by the driver is 3 times more likely than all other age groups combined. I call them mistakes....not accidents. An accident happens when a tree limb falls on your car while you are in your house. Sad story. Driver at fault. Parents should follow their kids more closely. It is a lie that the parents should afford them the level of privacy that allows them to make this type of mistake.

Last edited by Moses; 07/08/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Tragic accident. Any possibility of it being to a poorly designed or maintained road is negated by the bad decisions of the driver involving alcohol and speed of travel. No-go.

90 + BAC = Nada.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
It's all just sad.

And who would expect the girls to have good judgment when it seems some of their parents don't have good judgment? "It's the road's fault my underage daughter got legally intoxicated, drove 35mph over the speed limit with a car full of distracting, screaming teen girls, likely with the music cranked up and everyone thinking this is the best time ever....until the evil road caused my poor daughter to lose control of the car, wreck, and kill three of her friends, along with herself!"

NO, reality and consequences to poor decisions just assert themselves eventually. There is no escape from this.

It's tragic, but it's actually YOUR fault as her parents. That's typically how the law sees it. If my daughter was a passenger in the car, I'd think about suing the parents of the driver.

I believe that you mean "illegally".

No, I meant that there the girl met the legal standard for intoxication.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Makes sense - sorry to have misinterpreted.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Moses
Yes. I have been teaching Drivers Ed (Classroom/Behind the wheel) for a long time. I teach 8-12 students behind the wheel a month. Ten % of them seem to drive as well as experienced drivers. 40% are decent and require some minor coaching in "turning" the car"/when to start breaking. 30% make for a very uncomfortable day and the the bottom 20% are terrible. 6 hours behind the wheel. Over the years I have only had one I could not train. Whenever there is more than one teenager in a car with a 15yr- 19yr old driver mistakes being made by the driver is 3 times more likely than all other age groups combined. I call them mistakes....not accidents. An accident happens when a tree limb falls on your car while you are in your house. Sad story. Driver at fault. Parents should follow their kids more closely. It is a lie that the parents should afford them the level of privacy that allows them to make this type of mistake.

Good post - your differentiation between "accidents" and "mistakes" is a very good one and applies to many incidents beyond driving.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (6MMWASP, 338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 79S, 11 invisible), 1,660 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,196
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.