Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Anybody know what a good substitution for a Remington Mag contour would be in a Bartlein or Brux? I know they’ll both turn the Rem Mag contour but I would like to get something in stock. I think it’s going to be a Bartlein 2B, Brux #3, or Brux 4. What’s that sweet spot that doesn’t leave gaps in the channel without going heavier then it has to be? It’s going in a McMillan Hunter.

Last edited by TxHunter80; 07/08/20.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Not sure what caliber you are looking for but Bugholes has a 6.5mm Bartlein 19 contour in stock. That’s Bartlein’s dupe of the Rem Mag Countour. I’ve not handled one but I hear they can turn out a little beefier than a Remington factory mag contour though

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have used two of Bartlein's # 19 contours. They are just a tick beefier as Shortmag described but nothing major where you would have wholesale inletting issues. I recently inquired to Bartlein if I wanted something that was a little heavier than the # 19 but would not present me with a lot of stock altering.... their recommendation was a # 3b for something a little heavier but they did say they could adjust the dimension's on their # 19 to give me the desired result I was looking for. Issue with that would be wait time for a personalized custom contour. I would think a Bartlein # 3 would be close to the #19 if you can't find what you are looking for in a # 19

PASS IT ON!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
Anybody know what a good substitution for a Remington Mag contour would be in a Bartlein or Brux? I know they’ll both turn the Rem Mag contour but I would like to get something in stock. I think it’s going to be a Bartlein 2B, Brux #3, or Brux 4. What’s that sweet spot that doesn’t leave gaps in the channel without going heavier then it has to be? It’s going in a McMillan Hunter.

Here's a pic of a Bartlein 2b in a Rem Magnum Sporter stock.

Best way to fit the 2b in, would be to have the smith cut about a half inch off the shank, and to blend the hard start of the angle at the end of the shank, making it more Remingtonesk. Minimal opening of the front of the forend is required as well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A short shanked #19 might be what you’re after.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks, for the pick of that 2b. That's what I was leaning towards. Mark at bartlein steered me away. He thought the 3 would work out better than 2b. Mark said it would take a little inletting but wasn't much bigger than the 19. He described the #19 as between the 2b and 3. I may take a closer look at the #3 bartlein or #4 brux and just have it spiral fluted to shuck that extra half pound

Last edited by TxHunter80; 07/08/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The 2b is a standard to heavy sporter to me. The 3 or higher seem to be on the heavy side unless they are a shorter barrel. I would go 2b and fill in the barrel channel for better balance. But this is just my personal choice and the mag. or #3 would be stiffer at least in theory.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would not go heavier than a Bartlein 2b, Brux #3 (very similar to a Bartlein 2b), or a Hawk Hill #2. The Bartlein 2b and Hawk Hill #2 are identical in specs.

The Mcmillan Hunter is my favorite stock and I have several. Above these contours in size makes the balance too front heavy and too large for the foreend in my opinion. Believe me, I would NOT go to a Bartlein #3, 3b, or a Brux #4.

Oh and 22" - 23" looks great with that stock depending on your chambering.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
89 members (35, 308ld, 338reddog, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,572 guests, and 773 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,764
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.