Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hi All! I'm looking for some suggestions on a scope for a couple of my lever actions. As much as I like them "clean", I just can't see the irons as well as I need to in a hunting situation, especially early morning/late evening. I'm looking for something compact, lightweight with decent optics. An illuminated reticle would be a plus.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For compact and light, you'll have to focus on traditional scopes and not tactical ones.

You may have to shop around or even buy used, but these are old favorites for your application:

Weaver 1 x 3 and the Nikon African 1 x 4 are hard to beat, especially the Nikon for this purpose.

The Leupold fixed 2.5 is also a great choice.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Leupy 2.5-8 on mine. I’m no leupold fan, it’s the only one I own. I zeroed my 30-30 at 125 yds and it’s never moved in 5 years.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Burris Fastfire works well too and you don't even know it's there.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't know schitt about illuminated reticles, but on pistol-caliber rifles, I like a 2-7x32, and on other flatter-shooting levers, I like a 3-9x32. If your shots can be 20 yds or 200yds, either of these will work fine.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I went Leupold Freedom 1-4

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

I have two of these on other rifles - its too big and heavy for what I'm looking for, plus I would like to stay with a 1" tube if possible

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
For compact and light, you'll have to focus on traditional scopes and not tactical ones.

You may have to shop around or even buy used, but these are old favorites for your application:

Weaver 1 x 3 and the Nikon African 1 x 4 are hard to beat, especially the Nikon for this purpose.

The Leupold fixed 2.5 is also a great choice.

Thanks - anyone got one for sale?? No joy on any new Weavers or Nikons :-(

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just found this one on the SWFA site, don't really need the 10 power on the top end, but it looks lightweight (9.5 oz):

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

Last edited by GunLoony88; 07/08/20.
IC B3

RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just ordered a 2-7x33 VX Freedom from Neil at Cameraland. I think he still had some in 1-4

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have 2-7x Leupolds on Savage 99s and a variety of 1.5-4.5 and 1.5-5 scopes on exposed hammer lever guns.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I picked up a very clean Marlin 336 in 35 Remington a couple of months back and was looking for a scope I'd be happy with on it.

I also like lower power variables on lever and pump guns for eastern deer hunting.

I found one of the old school steel El Paso Weaver variables, a Weaver V4.5 on Fleabay with the ocular tv lens, a 1.5 to 4.5 with duplex reticle.

The scope is a little heavy but the gun balances extremely well. Set in old school Weaver pivot mounts so the scope can be swung over for the irons, the scope sits very close to the barrel with the low pivot rings and I have a good cheek weld to the stock.

The gun is 1980 vintage, no crossbolt safety and the scope is probably about the same age. Nice woods gun and I may even be able to sight it in one day if our communist governor opens the ranges.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Other good ones are the older Nikon Monarch UCC 1.5-4.5×20 and the Brunton Eterna 1.25-5×20. The older Nikon is a bit more compact than the African mentioned above due to a smaller ocular housing.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by wink_man
I picked up a very clean Marlin 336 in 35 Remington a couple of months back and was looking for a scope I'd be happy with on it.

I also like lower power variables on lever and pump guns for eastern deer hunting.

I found one of the old school steel El Paso Weaver variables, a Weaver V4.5 on Fleabay with the ocular tv lens, a 1.5 to 4.5 with duplex reticle.

The scope is a little heavy but the gun balances extremely well. Set in old school Weaver pivot mounts so the scope can be swung over for the irons, the scope sits very close to the barrel with the low pivot rings and I have a good cheek weld to the stock.

The gun is 1980 vintage, no crossbolt safety and the scope is probably about the same age. Nice woods gun and I may even be able to sight it in one day if our communist governor opens the ranges.
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Wink_man, nice! Old school swing-away scope with iron sight backups with the scope mounted low. That must be one sweet-handling lever gun.

Last edited by FSJeeper; 07/08/20.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunLoony88
Just found this one on the SWFA site, don't really need the 10 power on the top end, but it looks lightweight (9.5 oz):

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-ultralight-rifle-scope.html?___SID=U

ER sucks, keep going

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by FSJeeper

Wink_man, nice! Old school swing-away scope with iron sight backups with the scope mounted low. That must be one sweet-handling lever gun.

Jeeper yes it does seem to balance and handle very well, I just haven't shot it yet because our communist governor closed the ranges with this covid 19 bullchit.

Actually I have 3 of these in .35 Remington, this straight grained one and 2 with nice fiddleback in the stock. Vintage 1960 and 1972 for the other 2, both with the same Weaver pivot mounts, one has a 4X Denver Redfield with post & crosshair, the other a Bushnell Banner 2X7.

Going to give one of them to Qtip from here(God rest is soul) cousins son.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Weaver 1-3x20

Japan mfg......less than $200.......

clear glass......heluva deal

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Weaver 1-3x20

Japan mfg......less than $200.......

clear glass......heluva deal

NICE !!!!!
Nice gun and nice country you live in Tikkanut !!!!

Garry
Trump won !!!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Hi All! I'm looking for some suggestions on a scope for a couple of my lever actions. As much as I like them "clean", I just can't see the irons as well as I need to in a hunting situation, especially early morning/late evening. I'm looking for something compact, lightweight with decent optics. An illuminated reticle would be a plus.

Depends on the lever action and the hunting conditions. While they are stereotypically short range guns, some like the Browning BLR "mysteriously" smile shoot just as flat as bolt actions in the same chambering ... like 7mm mag so short range scopes are not always the correct choice for every lever action.

Looking back across some years, thinking about what I liked and what worked, one of the best balances was a Weaver K2.5 on a Win 94 trapper .44 magnum. The scope was suited to the range of the rifle and trajectory of the cartridge. Another "best" was a Leupold 1.75-6X on a stainless Marlin "guide" .45-70. While it wasn't my gun, I got to shoot a BLR in 7mm mag that had a 4-12X on it, forget the brand, but it was a 3/4 MOA gun, with factory ammo, despite an 8-10 pound gritty trigger. I've spent quite a bit of range time behind lever actions with full size 3-9X40s doing load work-up but I'm not sure I'd pick one for hunting. The larger objective raises the eye, thus the cheek, from the stock making obtaining a good sight picture slower than I really like.

I'd look at the compact Leupold 2.5x, their 1.5-5X and 2.5-8X. If you can find a Weaver K2.5 or K4, they're good .. appropriate to purpose.

I would also think about scout scope setups. They are not for everyone. I have no first-hand experience with them, know some people who like them and others who cuss them. Definitely something you should check into. Leupold and Burris would be the right brands if you go that route.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
J
jdb Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have a leupold m8 fixed 3 power on my glenfield model 30. I’d kind of like a little more power but it sit low and has great field of view

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
How about a worthless suggestion of one's that out of production? Weaver Classic 1-3x20. Wish I'd gotten a couple more.

A heavy duplex VX1 1-4x20 would suit my tastes well. Really need to get the 336 out and play.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold 1-4.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a SCHMIDT AND BENDER 6x42 on my 7 mm BLR and it’s for sale $600.

F
F
Ive just got a 336 recently myself and am toying with this exact dilemma. It really does depend on what you want to use it for IMO.

Had a Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8x24 on an AR15 but our government took assault rifles them away from us so tried it out on my T3x. Worked pretty well....during the day. Sucks at low light, which to be honest is what you should expect. The scopes not really designed for low light shooting with that tiny objective. I was really hoping to us this on the 336. Given most of the bush shooting we do here in NZ is in low light bush, dawn and dusk, it just doesn't cut the mustard.

What are your guys thoughts on prism scopes like the vortex 3x or sig bravo 5? Thought they might be an option but cant find any good info on low light performance. Im guessing much the same as the vortex but been keen to hear your views

C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The two scopes I’d recommend most have unfortunately been discontinued. I have a VX-3 1.75-6x32 on my 336 and seriously like it. It has a German #4. I also have a VX-R 2-7x33 Firedot 4 which I’ll probably take off an AR and install on a lever gun if I get another. Too bad both scopes have been discontinued.

If the glass and IR on the VX-Freedom 1.5-4x20 Firedot are comparable to a VX-R, I’d seriously look at them. I used a Fullfield II 2-7x35 on a 336 for a number of years with no complaints.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

My Marlin 1895 45-70 wears a Leupold Vari-X11 2-7x33.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all for the recommendations, I looks like my choices for a new scope are limited, just not many people looking for a lightweight low power 1" scope anymore. A Marlin 336 in 30-30 and 35 Rem just don't look right with the tactical low powers that are popular these days.

Maybe a good used Weaver or Nikon will turn up :-)

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Don't forget about Burris compact rifle scopes.

I have a couple on Marlins. One on a 16" 336 30-30, and another on a 16" 1894.

Here is the 30-30 and a 3 shot group shot at 150 yards.

The Burris compact or search for "mini" rifle scopes are well made and were built i the US before Burris took their production overseas.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Well, thought I'd throw this out there. Not huge, not too tactical, t's 30mm, and from Wuhan, $129. I'm trying one, in hand it's impressive. Way friendly eyebox. BOLD reticle with a firedot. We'll see.

https://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-1-4x24mm-illuminated-riflescope-pa14x

Holds zero? We'll see.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Don't forget about Burris compact rifle scopes.

I have a couple on Marlins. One on a 16" 336 30-30, and another on a 16" 1894.

Here is the 30-30 and a 3 shot group shot at 150 yards.

The Burris compact or search for "mini" rifle scopes are well made and were built i the US before Burris took their production overseas.

+2 on the Burris. I have 3 of them myself.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I have two of these on other rifles - its too big and heavy for what I'm looking for, plus I would like to stay with a 1" tube if possible

Leupy 1.5-5

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
An older gloss 3x leupold.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ralphie
An older gloss 3x leupold.

+1

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Throwing a +1 at the Weaver V3 1-3x20 if you can find one since they recently stopped producing scopes. I have one on my Marlin 336 (35 Rem) and I've been very happy with it.

I recently got a CZ 527 Carbine (7.62x39) and tried to find another to put on it given how much I like it on the Marlin, but I ended up getting a Leupold Freedom 1.5-4x20 with the Pig Plex reticle; it's also quite nice and would be worth considering.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A Leopold VX II 1-4x20mm with duplex reticle is on each of my lever guns.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the Leupold 1-4x 20mm.......one's been on my Marlin 30-30 for about 18 years now and it's plenty of scope for a 30-30. Plus; the trim lines and 20mm objective fit right in with a lever gun. I'm glad Roundoak posted a couple pictures of some. I have pictures of my Marlin here on my computer but this site's too much of a picture posting pain for guys like me. I can post pictures on a few other sites but this one's too complicated for dinosaurs like me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm using the Redfield Revolution 2-7x33mm pretty much across the board. On the 45-70 and the 350 legend.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have 2 Leupolds. One is the 1x4x20 and one is the 1.5x5x20. Either is a great lever gun scope with generous eye relief and plenty of field of view for up close situations.I also like the smaller size, it fits better on a carbine type rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Did I read that right from last Wednesday that you are looking at a 2.5-10 on a lever Marlin? A lot of those Marlin's have the straight, low comb stocks and a low mounted 20mm objective scope would get lower on the receiver than something larger in higher mounts. A .30-30 or a .35 Remington in a lever action is a shorter range rifle to begin with and the afore mentioned 1-4 or 1.5-5x20's with their huge exit pupil diameters and lighter weight would be the ideal. The 9 ounce Leupold 1.5-5x20 with the heavy Duplex is on my 99F .300 Savage and comes up and points like my index finger and there is no losing that heavy Duplex in any background even into very dim light. I've had a few of those Vari-X lll's over the years and that heavy Duplex is no target scope, but it sure is easy to see. Most of the time that variable is set at 2-3x, but I do like being able to increase the power ring which was something that I missed with my first 2 3/4x fixed power.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the Leupold VX1 2-7x33 on my BLR. As compact as a straight 4x with the versatility of a variable. I've had one on my Marlin 336 30-30 too.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I like the 1.5-5 Leupold on my BLR T/D.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Leupold 1-4x20 on my 1894 357 and it works very well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My only lever action is an early 80's version of a 336 Marlin 30-30 and I have to agree with a couple of others who have recommended the Weaver Classic 1-3x20. For me it is a perfect match for the Marlin. It is the 3rd scope I've tried on this rifle and it is going to stay mounted on it. It is a shame it is no longer manufactured but, I may try to find one just to have an extra on hand. With glass made in Japan, they are bright and clear and the cross hairs are perfect size (thickness) for the 30-30.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'm really into function and favor the Scout scopes on levers, They leave all of the action workings fully accessible. No projecting spurs etc needed for hammer work and the grip is not hindered in any way. One could run this wearing boxing gloves. Sits low and is about like looking across irons.
45-70

Last edited by 1minute; 07/22/20.

1Minute
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am a levergun guy and prefer scout scopes.
Once I adjusted to them, reciever mounted scopes seem more awkward.
For example , I use a 2x7 Burris on a Browning BLR( .270 wcf) takedown . This is my favorite for high elevation hunts, I can wrap my hand around the reciever for carrying, I can bore sight it if needed, the hammer is totally clear of obstruction and it takes down in equal parts for carrying in my custom ,long saddle bags. In a storm, the rifle stays dry when horseback. I am horseback 90% of the time.
I am a traditional sort of hunter, but like L.E.R. scopes.
Cheers

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
I like the Leupold VX1 2-7x33 on my BLR. As compact as a straight 4x with the versatility of a variable. I've had one on my Marlin 336 30-30 too.

I have that same scope on my Henry .45Colt levergun. Excellent scope. On my .357 levergun, have one of the Weaver 1-3x20mm(Japan). Another good one for leverguns.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I like the Leupold 3x that was available through the custom shop awhile back. It's actually 3.4x, which gives you just a little more magnification. A heavy duplex is my preference.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 07/22/20.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I have 3.5x10 Leupolds in the Savage 99’s I have.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]where to upload high resolution photos

Last edited by hanco; 07/23/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I had a blr 308 years ago. Played with a lot of scopes and settled on a leupold fixed 6x42. Very forgiving eye box and easy to get behind. Worked well for fast handling even at close range. I liked it better than the lower powered weaver v3 or the Leopold 2=7 I tried on it.

Bb

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (10gaugemag, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,285 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,523
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.