-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
In their brilliance they opened the sanctuary to give people room to social distance... yeah right, great plan. The run is anemic, the water low, and the fish cannot get up the river because everybody is fishing shoulder to shoulder at the sanctuary...

Russian River Sanctuary closing to sportfishing until July 14

By Gilbert Cordova | Posted: Fri 11:07 AM, Jul 03, 2020 | Updated: Fri 11:20 AM, Jul 03, 2020

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) - Alaska Department of Fish and Game says it's closing the Russian River Sanctuary due to the possibility of not meeting the sockeye salmon escapement goal.

The sanctuary will close 11:00 p.m. Friday, July 3 through 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, July 14, 2020.

“The early-run has not materialized as anticipated this year. Low abundance in combination with below-average water levels are hindering migration and increasing angler efficiency, restrictions are necessary to achieve the escapement goal,” stated Area Management Biologist Colton Lipka.

(Note that the Russian River Sanctuary Area is Area B in the map above.)

ADF&G says on July 1 a stream foot survey was conducted. ADF&G staff "estimated 2,500 fish are in the Russian River upstream of the powerline. ADF&G estimates that the early-run Russian River sockeye salmon biological escapement goal of 22,000 - 42,000 sockeye salmon will not be achieved under current regulations."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
I wish F&G would "manage" mosquitoes.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They are probably the only body capable of wiping them out...

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
FLM - they need the protein. No bugs, fewer fish.

Then where you water whippers be?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by las
FLM - they need the protein. No bugs, fewer fish.

Then where you water whippers be?

Lots of bugs don't bite or sting...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn't a bad place to fish 50 years ago!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
I wish F&G would "manage" mosquitoes.

like the white fish spearing on the chat....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by VernAK

I guess it’s all a matter of perspective, I have been fishing the Russian about 10 days a year for the last 25 years, and yeah the crowds can suck but the Russian River it’s self Is still, at least to me a very beautiful and amazing place.
And it really takes little effort to loose the crowds and find a stretch of river to have to yourself.
Another thing I like about the Russian is it provides a place for people that would otherwise never get to experience hooking up on a salmon,
That’s pretty much a dream of everybody that’s ever held a fishing pole, pretty fun to watch someone hook up on their first salmon ever.
I have met some very cool people and made some truly lifelong friends through the years fishing on the Russian.
I have lost track of how many people from Alaska and other places that I have hosted in my elk camp or a Muley hunt as well as Chukar hunting, amazing how many folks want to try hunting Chukar.
And in return I have more open invitations than you can imagine to go pretty much anywhere I want in Alaska. on float planes, bush planes, rafts, jet boats, shrimping, halibut fishing, moose hunting,
Caribou, Ptarmigan, pretty much just about anything Alaska has to offer is just a phone call and plane ticket away for me.
Not to mention the invites I have to Hawaii, Canada, and more Whitetail Hunt’s than you can shake a stick at. And I owe all of that to spending time on the Russian River.

I fully understand where you’re coming from though, And I can only imagine what it was like to fish the Russian 50 years ago.

In fact I do fish with some fellas that have fished the Russian for the past 50 years or so,
They don’t really complain much about the crowds on the Russian, as much as they bitch about the whole state compared to what it was like 50 years ago, especially the sheep hunting, and the great KIng fishing of days gone by.

But I can assure you Alaska. is just one of many wonderful places that is getting overran With tourists and dipshits.
The pains you are now experiencing in Alaska. are probably
every bit as bad In the magical and beautiful state of Idaho.
Ain’t much you can do about it though. Just be thankful that you at least had a taste of the good ol days.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The campground was opened almost exactly 50 years ago. For years before then it involved hiking in from the road (current overflow parking outside the control kiosk) following a goat trail above the Kenai River. I remember those days well.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dedity
Originally Posted by VernAK

I guess it’s all a matter of perspective, I have been fishing the Russian about 10 days a year for the last 25 years, and yeah the crowds can suck but the Russian River it’s self Is still, at least to me a very beautiful and amazing place.
And it really takes little effort to loose the crowds and find a stretch of river to have to yourself.
Another thing I like about the Russian is it provides a place for people that would otherwise never get to experience hooking up on a salmon,
That’s pretty much a dream of everybody that’s ever held a fishing pole, pretty fun to watch someone hook up on their first salmon ever.
I have met some very cool people and made some truly lifelong friends through the years fishing on the Russian.
I have lost track of how many people from Alaska and other places that I have hosted in my elk camp or a Muley hunt as well as Chukar hunting, amazing how many folks want to try hunting Chukar.
And in return I have more open invitations than you can imagine to go pretty much anywhere I want in Alaska. on float planes, bush planes, rafts, jet boats, shrimping, halibut fishing, moose hunting,
Caribou, Ptarmigan, pretty much just about anything Alaska has to offer is just a phone call and plane ticket away for me.
Not to mention the invites I have to Hawaii, Canada, and more Whitetail Hunt’s than you can shake a stick at. And I owe all of that to spending time on the Russian River.

I fully understand where you’re coming from though, And I can only imagine what it was like to fish the Russian 50 years ago.

In fact I do fish with some fellas that have fished the Russian for the past 50 years or so,
They don’t really complain much about the crowds on the Russian, as much as they bitch about the whole state compared to what it was like 50 years ago, especially the sheep hunting, and the great KIng fishing of days gone by.

But I can assure you Alaska. is just one of many wonderful places that is getting overran With tourists and dipshits.
The pains you are now experiencing in Alaska. are probably
every bit as bad In the magical and beautiful state of Idaho.
Ain’t much you can do about it though. Just be thankful that you at least had a taste of the good ol days.

For sure I'm the old curmudgeon that misses the good old days when there were far fewer people in Alaska and visiting Alaska. Hell I can't hardly withstand the drive around Turnagain Arm in tourist season and the road is far better than the good old days.....and it's not just Alaska. There are three times more people on this planet than there was when I was born and Covid won't put a dent in it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

618 members (160user, 10Glocks, 204guy, 222Sako, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 74 invisible), 2,076 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,262
Posts18,448,206
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.