Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Should be plenty stout but I do not trust Gamekings wholeheartedly. I would rather do a 200 NP or AB

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
BP-B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gunnut308

Mighty fine bull man! Good to see an old Winchester getting it done.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Great picture and cool old Winchester!

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by gatekeeper
I wouldn't choose a Sierra for elk, I think the Nosler Accubond or Partition is far superior. And with elk being as tough as they are, the time, effort, money it takes to get yourself in position to take one, it's not even a consideration for me...Nosler.

Eggzackly how I feel. I watched my elk hunting partner shoot elk every year with the Sierra 200 GK’s out of his 300 Mag. Each occasion required one or more follow up shots. In conversation I would politely suggest that he at least try Partitions and see if they “clicked” for him. He was very hesitant to do so as he had been a Sierra guy forever. In 2005 I got my bull the second day of my hunt, and afterwards videoed his hunt. We had a nice 6x6 show up at about 175 yards broadside and the shooting commenced. Seven shots later, he was right at 335 yards before he collapsed. The GK’s had exploded on the hide on each shot (from 175-335 yds), with one miracle shot finally penetrating the vitals. I got it all on video.

After we got the elk worked up he turned and asked me if I thought he ought to try Partitions now, what my suggestions for loads were, etc. I let it be his choice to smooth the transition. Our next hunt was in 2007 and he was shooting Partitions. We’ve shot bunches of elk in that time and he’s stuck with his boring Partitions. Dead elk with one shot....ranges from about 75 yards out to 350...the biggest being a 376” monster.

Horseshit. 200gr bullets don't "explode on the hide". Stop peddling this trash. WTF is wrong with you?

Not one damn thing is wrong with me. So you, not being there, accuse me of peddling trash? There’s your horseshit! Me, my friend, and our guide saw what the hell happened and I filmed it. As stated before, it wasn’t his first rodeo with him taking multiple shots with the 300WM and 200 grain Sierra Game Kings. Because not one single elk went down from a single Shot during our annual hunts, I initially asked him if he was pleased with his bullet’s performance. That led to him trying Partitions exactly as I stated.

If you were standing right in front of me, I'd call you a liar to your face. Again, that bullet isn't going to "blow up on the hide". You are making schitt up. There is obviously something wonky in you if you think that the rest of us are going to believe that a 200gr chunk of lead and copper at a high speed is going to disintegrate on an elk hide.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
There was a moron in Sportsman's Warehouse who saw me purchasing some Barnes TTSX bullets. Without an invite to chat this gent comes up to me and said, "Whatever you do make sure you are not pushing these bullets too fast! If you do they will never spend enough time in the animal to open up!". It was so hard to maintain my composure, but I did!

μολὼν λαβέ

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Fotis
There was a moron in Sportsman's Warehouse who saw me purchasing some Barnes TTSX bullets. Without an invite to chat this gent comes up to me and said, "Whatever you do make sure you are not pushing these bullets too fast! If you do they will never spend enough time in the animal to open up!". It was so hard to maintain my composure, but I did!

That just makes it hard to focus... laugh

Semper Fi
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Should be plenty stout but I do not trust Gamekings wholeheartedly. I would rather do a 200 NP or AB

I trust Game Kings on deer and hogs. I have seen at least one stitch a hog from stem to stern and was still intact. But would using a SGK on a large animal like an elk give me the warm and fuzzy? Not really. As I keep saying here, I've never shot at an animal the size of an elk. But due to reading the expertise on here I know if I ever go on an elk hunt I will have my rifle stoked with Nosler Partitions.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

There are a lot of idiots in the world.......sadly, many of them work in gun/sporting goods stores! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
200 gr NPt's seconds at SPS right now for 20.45/50 what are the Sierras? $45/100? MB

Last edited by Magnum_Bob; 07/08/20.

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Seafire
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Anybody tried the new Gamechanger from Sierra? It's supposed to have been toughened up

They are. I have a statistical sample of one. 270, 140 grain, 257 yard shot through both lungs on a pronghorn that dressed at 97 #.

Being an antelope in the wide open, I didnt get too awfully torqued about it, but he ran a good ways...longer than a double lunged animal should to put it in subjective terms.

Upon dressing him out it was apparent that the bullet had ice picked on him. Little hole in, little hole out, virtually no damage to the lungs other than a hole poked in em. I would expect a drastically different story with a big ol bull elk.

That being said, I used North Forks a month later on my bull elk.

exact performance I got last season on using one in 6mm... the one I got flamed to no end on .....by all of our "resident experts"..
and whatever ya do, don't call Sierra's Customer Service to inquire about the bullet after their recommendation didn't work out...

Used the same rifle this year, and but this time loaded a Nosler 90 Ballistic Tip instead of a 90 grain GameChanger...
Quartering away at a 60 degree angle, using a rest, put the Ballistic tip right behind the last rib, went straight thru the lung and was mushroomed under the hide right at the front left shoulder...the 4 pt blacktail with eye guards, dropped at the shot, as I walked toward him, he was huffing and puffing his last breathes....laser ranged the shot at 468 yds.. that mil dot scope helped a lot on that....

and no, didn't need a winch, or jeep to get him to the road, so I could thrown him in the back of my trailer...butcher figured 180 lbs on the hoof......

200 gr Game King, Federal factory load, 300 Win Mag, back in MN, last day of the season, as the sun was going down, and a really huge white tail, crossed a spot 100 yds from me....shot hit the chest at a 90 degree angle...deer went down on his nose, as I was running toward him, he jumped up and dived into the swamp he was heading for... it was about 10 degrees outside at the time...where he hit the ground there was hair in a 2 ft radius all over the place along with blood in the same two foot circle in the snow....tried to track him in the swamp, no luck finding him as it got dark real quick... spent the night in the field in my 4 Runner..
was out there at the crack of dawn... still to no avail finding the deer... it was easily over a 300Lb Northern MN buck...

talked to Sierra tech on Monday... told the situation... they told me that that particular bullet in a magnum was too hard to open up on deer at that distance, it would be better suited for elk at that short of distance... they told me it probably passed thru the deer before it had the chance to open up..... at 250 yds it would have opened up.... that next time using that bullet, in Federal Premium Ammo, it would be better suited loaded in an 06 for deer... still have that box of ammo... but never used it after that...

couple of seasons later a friend used the same factory load in his 300 Win and it dropped a good sized buck at 300 yds with no problems....on the spot, DRT....

So up close, deer NO... elk yup... at least according to Sierra back then....

I find this a very interesting reply from Sierra. What makes it interesting is, if he said what the post states, it makes no sense. The tech states at 100 yards the bullet didn't have time to expand, but it would have expanded at 250 yds on the same deer. Velocity is what causes bullet upset, or expansion. The bullet has lost velocity from 100-250 yards. How in the world could it expand at 250yds, but not at 100yds where it is going probably 200fps faster? Apparently, Sierra has developed a bullet that defies the realities of terminal ballistics. And he also suggest using it in a 30-06 would cause expansion, again, probably 250fps slower than what a 300 Win Mag would fire the same bullet. Sorry, it doesn't work that way. If you were experiencing over-expansion, or even bullet break up or core separation, THEN it would make sense to go to a slower muzzle velocity, like a 30-06, or would be better to take the 250yd shot over a 100yd for the same reason. That bullet is not going to expand better at farther distance than shorter. When we don't find the game, there are many variable left unkown. Too many to make any accurate assessment of what wen wrong. Perhaps the bullet failed to expand. But if so, longer range would only exaggerate this problem, not fix it.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Amen... It is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard...

Semper Fi
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Yep....just as ridiculous as the response I got from Sierra back in the late ‘80’s, when I complained about repeated bullet failures ( complete disintegration) with their 300 grain SPBT fired from a .375 H&H. Their response, I was pushing them too fast .....from a standard H&H? I was using the wrong powder.....give me a break! Perhaps my rifling was too sharp or pronounced, causing jacket damage....🤪. The one thing they never said was....their bullet was crap! 🤬 memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/09/20.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by memtb

Yep....just as ridiculous as the response I got from Sierra back in the late ‘80’s, when I complained about repeated bullet failures ( complete disintegration) with their 300 grain SPBT fired from a .375 H&H. Their response, I was pushing them too fast .....from a standard H&H? I was using the wrong powder.....give me a break! Perhaps my rifling was too sharp or pronounced, causing jacket damage....🤪. The one thing they never said was....their bullet was crap! 🤬 memtb

Had a couple of Sierra .429 bullets bullets blow up on deer leg bones myself. I don't dislike them, but I won't trust them for much beyond deer sized critters. Although the newer TMK's seem a bit better from buddies who've ran them in Mashburns and 7 Mags.

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
After my fiasco with the 6mm Gamechanger on a deer a couple of seasons ago.. which made the campfire Legend book on how much I was flamed....your post analysis about the long ago incident on a MN whitetail with a 200 grain Game King out of Factory Federal Ammo.. and being told that by Sierra, that it was going too fast to open up at 100 yds, but would at 300 yds.. and then the conflicting info I was told by two different Sierra techs on the GameChanger.... I draw the conclusion that Sierra Techs don't know their products very well, or that what they are being told to tell customers, is the higher ups don't know their products so darn well...

on that old 200 grain 300 Win Mag experience, I quit using the bullet.. I still have the rest of that box of bullets around here some place...I haven't cared to use any more of those GameChanger bullets either....but the following season used a 90 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip instead, and that lead to a DRT deer..

the GameChanger was very accurate, but so is the 90 grain Ballistic Tip, and I've never had an issue with a Ballistic Tip...I have had issues with Sierra bullets on game...

dropped a buck with a 140 grain Game King, out of a 6.5 x 55, Blacktail at 75 yds or so... bullet left the muzzle at 2950 fps..
dropped the buck on the spot.. right behind the shoulder... the entrance hole to the exit hole, you could have passed a Campbell's soup can right thru it...lotta blood shot meat .... only Sierra bullets I'd buy are their varmint bullets... and then I quit doing that as their prices have gone thru the roof, in comparison to good old V Maxes...and other Speer and Hornady varmint bullets...

I've got a good stock of old Sierra 100 grain SMP bullets in 6mm.... those bullets were reliable as hell....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by beretzs

Had a couple of Sierra .429 bullets bullets blow up on deer leg bones myself. I don't dislike them, but I won't trust them for much beyond deer sized critters. Although the newer TMK's seem a bit better from buddies who've ran them in Mashburns and 7 Mags.

beretz, I failed to get an exit from a broadside shot on a Mule Deer spike! One of several failures on game!

I considered them for target use.....but, excessive expansion on the paper, made measuring the groups impossible!!! grin memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/09/20.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There are a lot of idiots in the world.......sadly, many of them work in gun/sporting goods stores! memtb

I was the one working there. He was a customer. LOL

μολὼν λαβέ

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Yeah. Simply put, "too fast to open up" is bullshit.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I've used Sierra Game King 130 grain .277s out of my .270 for over 40 years and never had a failure. But that's shooting Texas White Tail and hogs. They will always be my deer-hog bullet. And that's regular Game Kings, not this new tougher version. I want a bullet to expand on deer and hogs.

However, for larger animals I'm not taking a chance. I would love to go elk hunting. I don't know if it will ever happen because I'm already 72 years old. But if I do I'm not going to spend that kind of money and take a chance on bullet failure ruining my trip so I won't be using a Sierra Game King or Game Changer.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/09/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have an old baby food jar filled with 180 gr Game Kings, 30 caliber and 175 gr, 7mm caliber that the core was loose in the jacket or close by when retrieved. All these bullet failures were found in dead elk.There are a few 140gr, 6.5 caliber that suffered the same fate, found in dead antelope.Go figure.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I could fill a semi truck with the elk and deer killed with Sierra bullets since I started to hunt. Never had a failure to kill , often one shot enough. Bullets worked, If I did my part in all calibers used. Mostly 30-06 , 270, 6 mm, and 7mm.

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
No experience with the 30 cal 200, but I made the mistake of hunting with 250g GK in a 338. At 2750fps, these things ice picked 3 elk and a deer until I moved back to tried and true partitions. 3 large cows averaged 200yds before collapsing from center of the lung shots. Fortunately, snow on the ground facilitated very light blood trails. I called Sierra and was told 300yds was too far to be shooting given the harder lead used to construct these bullets. I reminded him they specifically market them as ideal for long range hunting....which this was not. If they’re marketing this bullet as having harder lead to control expansion, I’d be wary and just used partitions. FWIW, I love the performance of 225g GK in 35whelen. They’ve become my go to bullet for hunting whitetails in the woods. Some might claim they’re actually a bit soft.....

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
527 members (10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 47 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,401,021
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.