Print Thread
Hop To
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
My favorite issue (mountain hunting) of my favorite outdoor magazine (Sports Afield) arrived today and, as usual, the first article I turned to is Mule Deer's. This one is about shooting lightweight "mountain rifles." Nicely done, John, as usual. The one thing you didn't spend much time on is "mountain cartridges" that help control those lightweight cartridges. Maybe a follow-up soon?

BTW, you need to get Col. Boddington to take you on one of his exotic mountain hunts sometime - the Matterhorn; are you kidding me? shocked

RM

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
BP-B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
If you just got your magazine, mine'll show up in about a week. Still trying to figure how PA fits into the postal system.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just got mine today, but then I have an inside connection....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Got mine yesterday as well. Guess Montana and Colorado are on the same mail route!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Are you anywhere near Denver?

We use the USPS to deliver books ordered on riflesandrecipes.com, because in our dinky little down it's far easier than Fedex or UPS. But once in a very great while an order gets caught in what we've come to call "the Denver Vortex": It gets there, then stays there for up to a month, apparently whirling around inside until one day it gets spit back into the delivery stream.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

John,
That vortex also exists in the Denver Airport baggage system.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, I have encountered it there as well!

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Sports Afield magazine finally showed up and i read Mule Deer`s Light Rifle Article was a good read ! Gun Gack III is going to be another great read !!!

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey MD - Just saw this today, and yes, I am in the Denver metro area. I live in Broomfield, CO which is a northern suburb of Denver.

I do believe the Denver Vortex is real since I've experienced similar things as well in the past. Always just chalked it up to my bad luck, but maybe there is more to it!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
We've sometimes suspected the vortex might be partly due to Colorado legalizing wacky tobacco. :-)

John Steinbeck
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Is it possible this issue hasn't hit the stands yet? I looked for it at Barnes and Noble yesterday and couldn't find it.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Magazines generally take longer to be delivered to newstands than the first subscribers--and the first subscribers received theirs about a week ago, about when I got my contributor's copy.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK, thanks for the info. Barnes and Noble lets us geezers in at 9:30, and the other customers in at 10:30. We will be going back for something to do in the mornings. I'll take a second look for Sports Afield

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
John (MD):

I read the article you wrote about mountain hunting mule deer. Great article. Two question, though, of the picture on page 57(?), you sitting beside a big bodied huge buck. First - obviously - what's the rifle? Second, how long ago was that picture taken? shocked

Mike

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks! That photo was taken in 1992.

The rifle is a custom .280 Remington built by the late Dave Gentry on a highly modified Remington 700 action. He almost turned it into a push-feed Model 70 by changing the bolt-stop and safety, then lightened the action by milling the exterior, and lightened the bolt by removing the steel "tube" of its center, then replacing it with an aluminum tube of the same size. You couldn't tell it all, but it sure lightened things up! The stock was a Garrett Accur-Lt, and the barrel a No. 1 Douglas stainless. Can't remember what Dave used to coat the action and barrel.

John Steinbeck
R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Thanks! That photo was taken in 1992.

The rifle is a custom .280 Remington built by the late Dave Gentry on a highly modified Remington 700 action. He almost turned it into a push-feed Model 70 by changing the bolt-stop and safety, then lightened the action by milling the exterior, and lightened the bolt by removing the steel "tube" of its center, then replacing it with an aluminum tube of the same size. You couldn't tell it all, but it sure lightened things up! The stock was a Garrett Accur-Lt, and the barrel a No. 1 Douglas stainless. Can't remember what Dave used to coat the action and barrel.

I wish Dave was still around...he built some nice stuff. Still have a couple of sets of his one-piece steel rings. My favorites.

Guess I gotta get a subscription to Sports Afield. Great mag, from the articles I've read. And of course, John is in there!
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 07/08/20.
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks, John. That's the rifle you wrote about in Gack I.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
703 members (007FJ, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 222ND, 75 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,630
Posts18,398,794
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.