Campfire Regular
M
Drugs play a big part in this problem.

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Happiness is achieved not by trying to find it or achieve it. True happiness is found indirectly by living a particular life style and world view.

Here is a playlist on achieving joy in life.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NI5619Jmrwo&list=PL0f6_epwixV6sFMA9S6BEPMSrSnZL-lNg

The starter is here.

Last edited by OldHat; 07/07/20.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I've lost a few friends to suicide and every time I wonder why I didn't try to do more to help them. I sure wish euthanasia was legal, it would save lives and end a lot of suffering.

Life is good live it while you can.
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B

You hear that all the time but depression can be totally debilitating and alter a person’s thought process. I used to think just like you until I went into a deep depression tailspin. Obviously, I’m still hear but it was touch and go at one point.

Originally Posted by hanco
You just don’t know what goes on in people’s heads!! It the cowards way out in my opinion.

Texas bred and born
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
This has been referenced, but how does the understanding that we can't know what a person is dealing with when they kill themselves translate to when a person kills someone else?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You just don’t know what goes on in people’s heads!! It the cowards way out in my opinion.

Cowardice has nothing to do with it. And that stigma is rather short-sighted.
Suicide is a health issue. And it can result if a mental illness (like major depression, bipolar disorder, genetics & chemical imbalance) goes untreated, in the same way that a patient can die from pneumonia if they don't get treatment. Many of the folks taking this way out are not thinking rationally.

If only I could think of an analogy around cornflingers and shootin' houses to help connect those dots for you...........

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Suicide is awful and I I have experienced it around me.
We are all on this journey through our time, it takes a person to some pretty dark places, the enemy thrives in the dark side. I really believe there is a choice to make, a person must know this. I have empathy for those that never fully accepted Jesus, never leaned on him like a friend and see the awesomeness of him.
The enemy thrives on confusion. Suicide is confusion.
God Bless.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry
Originally Posted by blindshooter
Originally Posted by killerv
I wonder if there is something to it being hereditary. A buddy's grandfather several years back sold him the family farm for a dollar, after that, he went out to find his grandfather hanging from one of the trees a few weeks later. His father killed himself last year. Must be something to live with knowing your grandfather and father committed suicide.

Never had anyone close to me do it, mostly family members you may see once in a blue moon at a reunion or something. Had a good buddy who overdosed a few years back, no note was left so we weren't very sure if it was one or not, he had just gotten a divorce.

Our local BPS seems to be a popular place to do it. Law enforcement told me multiple people have off'd themselves in the parking lot since it opened. I guess they just want to make sure they are found quickly.

A friend of mine killed himself last Feb. His grandfather and father both killed themselves. Another guy I grew up with shot himself and his mom did the same. I do believe whatever causes it can be inherited.

Never heard anyone else talk about it “running in the family” before these posts. Have an old widow neighbor, she just lost her second kid to it. Lost her husband to it. And her late husband lost either a parent or a sibling or both to it too. I was shocked to hear such a story and consider its source in genetics, but then, clinical depression and brain chemistry would certainly have a base in genetics.

Back in HS a kid I knew hung himself. None of us saw it coming as he seemed like a normal happy kid.
What really freaked us all out was finding out he had hung himself in the same spot his older brother had hung himself a few years earlier.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Personally I think one has to separate depression from how people perceive a lack of connectedness with others.

if you don’t feel a connection with anything in this world, and the bulk of the people around you are for lack of a better nomenclature, [bleep] bags... and you aren’t connected to nature at all, then people could easily think, why the hell am I wasting my time here.

Hope would be the only thing they have left to keep them going - but in the end the lack of connectiveness explains why no one knew they were in that spot, or why they quit valuing life.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by comerade
We are all on this journey through our time, it takes a person to some pretty dark places, the enemy thrives in the dark side. I really believe there is a choice to make, a person must know this. I have empathy for those that never fully accepted Jesus, never leaned on him like a friend and see the awesomeness of him.
God Bless.

My best friend that committed suicide was on Prozac and something else for depression. I could tell that things were getting worse and made a trip to see his parents in NC. They were both Holly rollers and said we need to pray for Frank. His mother was totally against seeking any outside or having him committed and his dad was to pussy whipped to go against her wishes. Praying didn't work for Frank and just caused me more doubt.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by duck911
People who have never been around (or dealt with) acute depression are talking out of their azz.

It is crippling, and debilitating. There is no "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" or "sucking it up".

It is a deep despair and hopelessness and helplessness that cannot be explained.

Anyone who has not had it, that passes judgement on someone who has experienced depression is the lowest scum.

You nailed. And those that say you just need prayer deserved to be consigned to H*** for all eternity. I guess I should have used all upper case for that statement. The sad truth, it's a simple chemical imbalance.

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by comerade
God Bless.

My best friend that committed suicide was on Prozac and something else for depression. I could tell that things were getting worse and made a trip to see his parents in NC. They were both Holly rollers and said we need to pray for Frank. His mother was totally against seeking any outside or having him committed and his dad was to pussy whipped to go against her wishes. Praying didn't work for Frank and just caused me more doubt.

Sorry to hear that, clinical deppression needs all the help it can have, medical and spiritual. As a Catholic I really admire what they can do medically these days.
There is a 3rd vital step, imo....cardiovascular exercise.
Exercise is mind altering, and helps to reorganize the brain. I am speaking from some experience. Sadly, there is no full proof method and a person has to find their own through this. Awful to witness and heartbreaking sometimes.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Originally Posted by duck911
People who have never been around (or dealt with) acute depression are talking out of their azz.

It is crippling, and debilitating. There is no "pulling yourself up by the boot straps" or "sucking it up".

It is a deep despair and hopelessness and helplessness that cannot be explained.

Anyone who has not had it, that passes judgement on someone who has experienced depression is the lowest scum.

You nailed. And those that say you just need prayer deserved to be consigned to H*** for all eternity. I guess I should have used all upper case for that statement. The sad truth, it's a simple chemical imbalance.

How do they know whether the imbalance is a cause or an effect. Which came first the thoughts or the chemistry. The behavior or the thoughts. It's not as simple as that.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

I would like to agree but I won't. I can't imagine myself committing suicide, but then something might change. I won't criticize that someone else has gone through.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

SonILs grandfather, Cuban born and raised, came to this country after Castro took over, aged now, caring for his wife that has Alzheimers, he was getting too old to care for her, and barely able to care for himself, laid the note, the keys, the will, and all pertinent papers on the dresser, cleaned up, took a pistol and shot her and then himself....................

Misguided - maybe
Thoughtless - hardly
Necessary - in his mind ,yes
Coward - I don't think so.............

JMHO

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Forgive them, for they know not what they do...a person can get sick in their brain just like they can get sick in their liver...its just sad. Sure, there are some "plausible" scenarios where a person decides to end it. I feel those are very rare. Love people, be kind, help them all that you can, while not much, its all we can do.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've known about a half-dozen folks that have committed suicide and about another half-dozen or so that tried. Some of these were close friends. I've also got a few friends that were going to off themselves and somehow I got them turned around.

Looking back, I can tell you that all of them were somehow mentally ill and needed help that they were not getting. None of them were in any physical pain. They just had their heads messed up.

I dated a chick that volunteered at a suicide prevention hotline. In those days, I was doing a graveyard shift at a local radio station, and she would call me up and talk to me between suicide calls. She wasn't so hot at giving out advice, so she'd put the people on hold and pick up our line and ask what to do.

What I can tell you from all this is that suicide, at least how I've encountered it, is mostly about folks being blind to their options. They get their head so far up their own asses that they can't see alternatives. If someone can show them a way out, they'll take it, but most of them are past all that, and it's the folks making the suggestions that are often times the cause.

Of the folks that were able to walk away from it, they all had to walk away from toxic mindset and see alternatives. They all had to put down the shovel and stop digging and start to climb out.

I will always be wholly unforgiving of suicide. Not because it is cowardice or un-Godly, but because it is just not to be condoned. There has to be that moral conviction that "You just can't do that!" if there is someone out there looking for a reason to go ahead and do it. There HAS to be an alternative because there always IS an alternative.

I had a buddy years ago that showed up at my house for a dinner appointment and admitted that he'd tried to off himself with pills two nights previously. He'd woken up the next morning a little hungover, but still alive. He asked me what I thought about it.

"Damn you, John!" I barked, "You were going to miss our appointment and not call to cancel. I find that exceedingly rude!"

John agreed and promised not to do it again. He'd had multiple attempts over the years. This was his last. He survived another decade before dying of natural causes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My Grandmother had Alzheimers, and now my Mother has it! if I get it Ill go out on my terms, not go insane in a dam Nursing Home!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oldhat, I speak on depression, it is a chemical imbalance in the brain, if drugs can suppress the depression, it's clearly chemical. There is so much we don't understand about the brain .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
...I sure wish euthanasia was legal, it would save lives and end a lot of suffering.

What?

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Page 12 of 12 1 2 10 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

701 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 73 invisible), 3,184 guests, and 1,256 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.