Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I try to go on a couple group charters a year fishing out of Mass or Connecticut for Cod or whatever else may be biting. I'm tired of using the typical rental equipment and would like to buy a decent setup for myself, preferably around the 300.00 mark or under generally i prefer spincast to bait but i am not opposed to either, maybe even a 2 speed reel open to suggestions

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you like spinners, the Daiwa BG is an excellent choice. They run on the big size, for their displayed capacity (Eg, BG3000 is like a Penn Battle 4000). As for rods, A Penn Battalion is great, or the Prevail II, a little cheaper. If it is group charters, and dropping baits tough, the rod is less of an issue vs a surf one, or one specific for lures. Get a MH one of your preferred length (I assume 6-7ft if on a boat) and the action you prefer, brand doesn't matter as much. I have an UglyStik and fancier Daiwas, Shimanos and Penn's, fish can't tell the brand as far as I know.

Good luck.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thank you

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Irving I've never went on charters out of Mass or CT But I've sailed out of Orient Pt. LI . The charter Captains there probably would allow you to use any tackle but they prefer to use the tackle they prefer.

Charter boats generally have good equipment
" Head Boat" , " party boat" not so much

I've fished for cod at Cox's ledge we used Penn senator 4/0 spooled with #40 and#50 lb pink Ande ,rods were pretty stout ,with a little tip action ,medium heavy I'd say . In the northeast Atlantic sometimes the lead sinkers get up to 20 oz depending so you need beefy rods & reels if you asked me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gonna be hard to find a suitable 2 speed conventional with the budget unless you go used.

Maybe a single speed with high gear range would be nice.

Penn Fathom Star 25N and Penn Carnage 2 jigging rod will be nice and light with plenty of power for blues/blacks/cods/schoolie albies.

Maybe load it with spectra for backing but will require proficiency in joining mono/floro to spectra.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
...for Cod...would like to buy a decent setup...around the 300...

Forget spinning. If you want quality look for used Shimano Trinidad or Talica.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WDEA
Gonna be hard to find a suitable 2 speed conventional with the budget unless you go used.

Maybe a single speed with high gear range would be nice.

Penn Fathom Star 25N and Penn Carnage 2 jigging rod will be nice and light with plenty of power for blues/blacks/cods/schoolie albies.

Maybe load it with spectra for backing but will require proficiency in joining mono/floro to spectra.

I have a Fathom 15 and 25N; each are two speeds. These are probably my two favorite reels to fish offshore with. I am planning to pick up a 30 soon as well.

I bought my 25NLD2 on sale for about $215 or $225 if I remember correctly. Foregoing the Carnage rod and going with a Star Aerial (or similar class) which can be found easily for $100, you could get a solid, 2spd combo for right at or just over the OP's $300 mark. But you would have to look around and keep an eye out for sales. And with the Wu-Flu supply shortages going on, that is going to be difficult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1badf350, 222Sako, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222ND, 63 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,672
Posts18,456,039
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.