Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was looking for some information about the Scuttlebutt Lodge, the name of Red Fisher's studio lodge, when I came across this. It's the intro to his 30 minute, weekly show. It ran from 1968 to 1989. I didn't know Red personally, but we met four or five times over the years. He loved telling stories. Red left us in 2006 at the age of 92.

Red was an odd duck. Not many Americans moved from the US to Canada in the 1960s, except for young men dodging the draft. There's no doubt that Red loved Canada, and I know that he spent many happy hours fishing all across the country. He was 49 when he decided to leave the US for good and move here. As you can imagine, he had an interesting life, but is best known to Canadians, and probably Americans living in the NE, because of his television show.

I know that may of you spent part of your Saturday afternoons watching Red. That was back in the dim times before cable and colour television. laugh

He really left his mark, even if the younger crowd don't know it. No doubt the biggest influence was on a young Steve Smith (I'll let you Google him) and his decision to create a character called Red Green. The show was inspired by Red Fisher.
---

This is from Wiki - Red was an American sporting goods retailer, U.S. naval and United States Coast Guard officer, newspaper columnist, and poet. With his gruff voice, he later became a popular radio and television personality in Canada.

When he moved to Canada in 1963, he launched what would become a popular radio talk show program The Red Fisher Show which moved to television in 1968. The TV version was set at fictitious "Scuttlebutt Lodge" and featured silent home movies of outdoors activities, often involving fishing, which involved high-profile guests, mainly from the major league sports of the era. Such guests included ice hockey stars Gordie Howe, Eddie Shack, and Johnny Bower, and baseball players Ted Williams, Roger Maris and Ferguson Jenkins. The Red Fisher Show differed from other outdoor living shows of its time by promoting nature conservation, game preservation and the "catch and release" mentality. The series continued until 1989, making it among the longest-running on CTV. The series was an inspiration for the comedy television series The Red Green Show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Fisher_(sportsman)

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here in BC we had Ted Peck. He ended his show with "Tight lines and straight shooting."

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
I remember him, always watched his show on Saturday afternoons.

I used to deer hunt with a guy who looked just like Red Green when he was in his deer-hunting getup, right down to the scruffy beard. ROFLMAO the first time he showed up like that. He'd never seen the show and didn't have a clue.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was glued to the TV in the winter, but Saturday afternoons in the summer, I was either fishing or pellet gun hunting with my buddy.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Great show for its time. Wonder if YouTube has some of the actual,shows

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I only found a couple of commercials for a wood stove store. There is also this.

Red Fisher - Poems of Our Great Outdoors - LP

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'm told Red Fisher inspired Steve Smith to do the Red Green spots on the Smith, and Smith show.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I met Red Fisher many times—first time in1973 and last time in 1984. I guided for him twice—once on the lower Nipigon river and once years later on Lake Nipigon itself.

He rightly deserves to be in the Canadian Fishing Hall of Fame—but he didn’t care one whit about fishing.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Evnin Steve, ya I watched a few of his shows. Not a lot though, Dad said he was a blow hard, whatever that is. Kind of had to agree with him. Seemed like he was an expert on everything, just had to ask him & he'd tell you. Just the way he seemed to be. Maybe just me. Bill out. 🐾👣🇨🇦

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Someone had to tell us about the great outdoors. smile Especially those poor sobs who lived in the city.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,640
Posts18,455,347
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.