Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#15033833 07/08/20
D
dassa Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
What are the advantages and disadvantages of a 16 inch barrel versus an 18 inch barrel? Also, what are the advantages of the .223 wylde chamber?

GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The wylde chamber is usually more accurate . With the 18-inch barrel you can run a rifle length gas system which is usually a little smoother with slightly less recoil

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
16" loud and almost 100 fPS slower than an 18"

But all I own are 16's

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The wylde chamber is usually more accurate . With the 18-inch barrel you can run a rifle length gas system which is usually a little smoother with slightly less recoil

Can you not get a Wylde chamber in a 16 inch barrel?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by passport

Of course you can, He was answering both the OPs questions separately.
Although many 16” barrels are 5.56, while most 18 are .223 wylde

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advantages & disadvantages are whatever you perceive them to be.

Some of the differences are that the 16" gun will be a little more nimble to handle, it will have more muzzle blast, given the same barrel profiles, the 16" will be lighter & will give up about 80 FPS of velocity with the same loadings as the 18"

Even though the guns are generally heavier, IMO & for my tastes, the 18" guns tend to balance & point better for me than the shorter guns, at least to a point. The 16" & 14.5" guns feel considerably more nimble to handle especially are vehicle & are easier to move around with.

Wylde chambers are available in most any length, depending on the barrel maker.

Choices are highly dependent on your intended use & personal preference.

MM

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Wylde chamber is more generally accurate with match bullets like the 77 grain SMK/TMK. The regular 5.56mm chamber is generally more accurate with the most "terminally effective" rounds like the Barnes 70 grain Tac-X and the 62 grain Barnes TSX.

Barnes bullets like to jump, and the regular 5.56mm chamber affords more of it over the Wylde. Decide which you want to run first, then decide on the chamber. On barrel length, if you going to run a brake, or flash hider or a can, the 16" will handle much better than an 18" barrel and will provide little disadvantage for shots under 300 yds..

If you want your rifle for the majority of shots over 300 yds, then pick the longer barrel.

IMHO and YMMV....

Last edited by Shadow; 09/29/20. Reason: clarity
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Sure you can. I was just answering his last question regarding the wylde chamber.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Walter_Sobchak

Of course you can, He was answering both the OPs questions separately.
Although many 16” barrels are 5.56, while most 18 are .223 wylde

Thanks. Exactamundo. If it were me, I'd be getting a compass lake chamber and 20" tube, but like you said, I was merely answering the op's questions...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chamber dimensions

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Chamber dimensions

MM

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I've had really good luck with the Wylde chamber and have never heard about the Compass Lake chamber until now. What benefit do you get with a CL chamber over the Wylde and with what ammo?

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I ever put one together it will be 18" crowned.
No screw on stuff.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the 18 is more suited to hunting in my opinion, especially if you take a shot without ear pro.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

As mentioned you can. I have a 16” Wylde chambered barrel, but I’m thinking of upgrading it to an 18” barrel. If you do go 16”, I’d suggest mid length gas over a carbine length one. From what I have found looking around, your better barrel manufacturers Put mid length gas systems on 16” barrels and cheaper ones use carbine length. Not saying the cheaper barrels can’t be accurate though. I’ve got. 16” 5.56 Red-X Arms upper I won with a 1:9 twist pencil barrel. It will out shoot my BCA (the only BCA I’ll ever buy as well) 16” Hbar 1:8 twist 223 Wylde upper everyday of the week with up to 62 gr ammo in it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
I've had really good luck with the Wylde chamber and have never heard about the Compass Lake chamber until now. What benefit do you get with a CL chamber over the Wylde and with what ammo?
It's a tighter chamber that, on average, gives slightly better groups than a Wylde. It has a shorter throat too that may be good for longer accurate barrel life under certain circumstances. Because of these two differences, it also uses about a 1/2gr less powder than a Wylde.

It is also more finicky about brass, being slightly tighter at the base and significantly tighter at the shoulder. The Wylde is more of a compromise between accuracy & reliability, the CLE being more accuracy oriented.

The only gun other than a Compass Lake-built rifle that I'm aware of that used that chamber was old Bushmaster NM rifles. I think White Oak may offer barrels with that chamber as well. John Holliger and Frank White seem to be pretty good friends, they do work for each other.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Nebraska
It's a tighter chamber that, on average, gives slightly better groups than a Wylde. It has a shorter throat too that may be good for longer accurate barrel life under certain circumstances. Because of these two differences, it also uses about a 1/2gr less powder than a Wylde.

It is also more finicky about brass, being slightly tighter at the base and significantly tighter at the shoulder. The Wylde is more of a compromise between accuracy & reliability, the CLE being more accuracy oriented.

The only gun other than a Compass Lake-built rifle that I'm aware of that used that chamber was old Bushmaster NM rifles. I think White Oak may offer barrels with that chamber as well. John Holliger and Frank White seem to be pretty good friends, they do work for each other.

My Windham weaponry barrels have compass lake chambers and they do shoot pretty good. No complaints here. Both rifles shoot sub moa in the black rifle challenge here

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The CLE chamber is virtually the same as a 223 chamber so be careful what you put into it; & the accuracy gain over the Wylde based on the chamber alone, it not a deal breaker/deal maker for any except genuine very high precision shooters in competition, & maybe not even then. IMO.

YMMV

MM

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by TWR
16" loud and almost 100 fPS slower than an 18"

But all I own are 16's

Same here. Haul an 18 around for a while and then tell yourself why they're better again.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Get a couple of each. Problem solved.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Or several..............................

MM

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

700 members (007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 64 invisible), 3,124 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,063
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.