Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'm not in the oil & gas field but they are one of our customers. Everyplace around here in my industry has people laid off. I am one of them. Since May I have been looking for a job that will actually pay the bills. Just online while the state was "shut down" and both online and by pounding the pavement since we have re-opened. This is the only line I have true work experience in that I can actually start in a job making more than some kid fresh out of school. I've been working "parts" since 1984. This is the first time I have been without a job for more than a few days. I know how to do plenty of other stuff but have never actually worked in those industries. I do have some money to get me through a year or so but I was hoping it would be there to help retire on. I'll be 55 in another 3 months. The extra $600.00 has been a blessing. Plenty of $10 - $12.00 dollar jobs around but at that rate, I lose my house.

I am considering opening my own business, just not sure exactly what it will be. I am thinking maybe a small dump truck and start hauling gravel, dirt, etc. Just haven't found one yet. I am also running a 220 line to my garage to start doing some sand/ bead blasting and considering maybe powder coating. I don't know of anyone else in this area doing it. Thinking maybe start with small things and if there is enough call for it I have another garage that I could run electric to and start doing larger items.

Not bitching or complaining, just more an opportunity to vent a little.

Any useful suggestions?

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
600 a week...........I cant imagine that kind of money.

There must be some folks around here getting that much. Maybe?

Be about double the average income for this place.

No house payment?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Good fortune, Dave.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
600 a week...........I cant imagine that kind of money.

There must be some folks around here getting that much. Maybe?

Be about double the average income for this place.

No house payment?

What do you mean?

I am MAGA.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by renegade50
Mofo,s refusing to go back to work when told to return.
And ineffective or no reporting of the schit to state UI systems.

Freddy the fry guy making 3 or 4 times what he normally makes a week and still in moms basement at age 28...

And got the 1200 freebie on top of it all....

Fugging buncha bullschitt......

Renegade I can tell you for three states at least that I've worked on, if they refuse to go back when called by their employer, they will get cut off. I see it every day. They say BUT IT'S NOT SAFE! - tough chit. you still get cut off at least until an investigation is complete, and with as far behind as these state UI offices are, that could take months.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by dave284
I'm not in the oil & gas field but they are one of our customers. Everyplace around here in my industry has people laid off. I am one of them. Since May I have been looking for a job that will actually pay the bills. Just online while the state was "shut down" and both online and by pounding the pavement since we have re-opened. This is the only line I have true work experience in that I can actually start in a job making more than some kid fresh out of school. I've been working "parts" since 1984. This is the first time I have been without a job for more than a few days. I know how to do plenty of other stuff but have never actually worked in those industries. I do have some money to get me through a year or so but I was hoping it would be there to help retire on. I'll be 55 in another 3 months. The extra $600.00 has been a blessing. Plenty of $10 - $12.00 dollar jobs around but at that rate, I lose my house.

I am considering opening my own business, just not sure exactly what it will be. I am thinking maybe a small dump truck and start hauling gravel, dirt, etc. Just haven't found one yet. I am also running a 220 line to my garage to start doing some sand/ bead blasting and considering maybe powder coating. I don't know of anyone else in this area doing it. Thinking maybe start with small things and if there is enough call for it I have another garage that I could run electric to and start doing larger items.

Any useful suggestions?
Don't discount a lawn care business for something that is inexpensive to get into. All you need is a lawn tractor or zero turn, weed eater and a trailer to haul it. Demand is high, at least around here. Lots of lazy fuggers that don't want to mow their own and old fuggers who can't. I know a guy here locally who gets more business than he can handle. Makes enough May- Oct to live off all year and just takes the winters off.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
On any Boom scenario you’ve got to get there before the whores and gamblers arrive and leave it before they start to depart.

Prudhoe Bay.

Rock Springs Wyo
Rifle Colorado

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Off topic, but the Grammar Cop in me has to ask: When did this erroneous habit begin of placing the dollar sign after the numerals?

As a courtesy to the dyslexics among us.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Consumer spending drives 70% of US economic activity, if you’re interested in a recovery, do everything you can to prop it up in this period. Take away the $600 plus up, offer no further support to Main Street, two things will happen: consumer demand will collapse, and you’ll set off a wave of foreclosures and evictions, both will worsen the recession in time for the election.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife and I have squirreled away most of hte $600.00 per week. Got a feeling it won't be too long before we're forced to dip into that fund.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by bbassi
Ends in 2.5 weeks, supposedly.

Thinking we’ll see some folks going back to work around August time.

I'm working for a unemployment department for a midwest state that will remain un-named (contractor), but as an "insider" I wouldn't bet on the $600 going away this month. Now they may throw a "bonus" out there for people to go back to work, but the $600 kicker will remain.

Treasury Secretary Mnunchkin (sp?) did mention this very thing. A return to work bonus payment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Off topic, but the Grammar Cop in me has to ask: When did this erroneous habit begin of placing the dollar sign after the numerals?

dyslexic viles matter

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

Freddy the fry guy making 3 or 4 times what he normally makes a week and still in moms basement at age 28...

Renegade I can tell you for three states at least that I've worked on, if they refuse to go back when called by their employer, they will get cut off. I see it every day. They say BUT IT'S NOT SAFE! - tough chit. you still get cut off at least until an investigation is complete, and with as far behind as these state UI offices are, that could take months.

In Louisiana the unemployment state payments per week vary from ~250$ up to 845$, then add on the 600$. Those at the top ain’t doing bad for being unemployed.

Rocky, sorry about that $ sign thing, I did it again,,,,and again .

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Valsdad

dyslexic viles matter

Ah --- thats leverc

Last edited by Etoh; 07/09/20.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

dyslexic viles matter

On they don’t !

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Any useful suggestions?
Don't discount a lawn care business for something that is inexpensive to get into. All you need is a lawn tractor or zero turn, weed eater and a trailer to haul it. Demand is high, at least around here. Lots of lazy fuggers that don't want to mow their own and old fuggers who can't. I know a guy here locally who gets more business than he can handle. Makes enough May- Oct to live off all year and just takes the winters off.

Good advice, Blackheart. It’s honest work and with good write offs come tax time.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Any useful suggestions?

Where in WV do you live? Are you in the panhandle? I'm looking for a Class B boom truck driver in Frederick, MD. Send me a PM if you're interested.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

In Louisiana the unemployment state payments per week vary from ~250$ up to 845$, then add on the 600$. Those at the top ain’t doing bad for being unemployed.

! ,welL stop doing .it

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Wish I was getting 600.00 a week.

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O

! ,welL stop doing .it

Kayo $#

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,558
Posts18,453,692
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.