Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Out of a 308 Win. the 168 VLD has been great on deer and hogs.

BP-B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80

Also, protip, don't aim for shoulders on an elk when using Bergers.

I'm not an elk hunter, but that seems reasonable to me. Horses for courses and all.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have used them on the following animals.

7/08AI- 140 Hunting. Mule Deer Buck at 210 yards. No Exit DRT.
7/08AI- 140 Hunting Black Tail Buck 490 yards- No Exit DRT
7mm- 168 Hunting- Black tail Buck 190 yards. no Exit DRT.
28 Nosler- 180 Hunting- Black Buck 200 yards. No Exit DRT
28 Nosler- 180 Hunting- White Tail doe- 100 yards- No Exit DRT.

This is only a small sample but I have enjoyed the results.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Yes
Great
WT deer
.172 (17-204)
100yd ish...neck shot....Bang flop....

Originally Posted by mibowhunter
Yes
Great
WT deer
.243 (6x47L)
252 yard head shot...bang flop

I hope you had two tags!😁

More like 7 ! whistle............ laugh

TB, CWD and Covid-19 , free so far.....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not for me thank you. I will stick to my Accubonds and Long Range accubonds thanks.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by WAM
No, I have not tried them and likely won’t.

Comments online notwithstanding, their own design description doesn’t meet my criteria for mule deer and elk hunting bullets. I prefer the penetration and controlled expansion of Barnes and Trophy Bonded bullets. I normally don’t shoot much past 300 yards so the high BC is relatively unimportant. Get closer, don’t miss.... Bring enough gun. Happy Trails

You pegged it for me. I might be tempted to shoot a bit farther than 300 yards but not much. When wind gets iffy my distance ceases to get longer. I really suspect a lot of people that talk this [bleep] have no conception of what even 300 yards looks like, much less 400. That's a long way out there and a little wind will go a long way in misdirecting your bullet. I shot a hog at a little over 300 yards once and let me tell you, I was amazed I killed it. He only ran about 20 yards. But if he'd been another 100 yards out It would have been a real challenge. I have no problems shooting at hogs at long range, they're not game animals, they're pests. But if it's a deer or other game animal, the conditions would have to be very good for me to chance a shot. And much over 400 and I would pass.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I know the 6.5 140’s dig really good started off at 3000 FPS. Muleys, blacktails, whitetail, bear and elk.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by T_Inman
My experience is limited to the 140 grain 6.5 hunting berger, plus some of the 1st generation .30 cal bullets, but they're too soft for me. Hit an antelope, deer or elk tight behind the shoulder and you're good to go.
Hit an elk on the shoulder and you're in for a rodeo. BTDT, 6-7 times now.

I've switched to harder bullets.

Originally Posted by T_Inman
My experience is limited to the 140 grain 6.5 hunting berger, plus some of the 1st generation .30 cal bullets, but they're too soft for me. Hit an antelope, deer or elk tight behind the shoulder and you're good to go.
Hit an elk on the shoulder and you're in for a rodeo. BTDT, 6-7 times now.

I've switched to harder bullets.

My experience mirrors the above, shot a large pig in her shoulder. She got up, went back to eating corn. She was trapped in a large round pen. They were very accurate

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
Originally Posted by Reba
Thanks.

Yep, I find them very accurate.

However I'll stick with the Barnes, which are accurate at the correct seating depth.

I have had bullet failures never again.

I love Barnes. However, I have either witnessed, or done it myself, critters that would *likely* have not been killed/recovered if shot with Barnes instead of Bergers.

Also, protip, don't aim for shoulders on an elk when using Bergers.

Pro tip. Use a better bullet and shoot and kill elk at all angles.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
My philosophy since 1993! wink memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I have the 156 EOL on order to try in my 6.5's. Should work in the 26 Nosler, 6.5-284, even the 6.5x55. Some shoot them in the Creed, but I think they'd be moving pretty slow.

My 6.5-284 has a 26" Kreiger and is very accurate. I'm thinking RL-26 and hoping for 2,800 or so fps. I'll use 869 in the Nosler, should reach 3K fps.

DF

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't like the amount of lead that can get in the meat from Bergers. Other bullets if all the blood shot meat is trimmed it is usually fine, with Bergers even some meat that washed up fine still had lead fragments in it. They do kill fast but now there are so many other choices for higher BC bullets like the ELDs and LRAB I go for a more controlled expanding bullet when available. But most of the game I take is at relatively close range, typically 300 yds. or less. If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

Quote: “If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.”

The key word being “all”! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I reckon, like most expansive type bullets, depends on how fast you're driving them.

That's why I'm trying the 156 EOL in some of my 6.5 rifles. Heavier, slower Berger Hunting bullet may be OK. I've killed deer with 140 VLDH out of the 6.5-284. DRT, but they do frag, have seen multiple exit holes from frag pieces.

For chest shooting WT's they should work OK. I try to stay out of the shoulders to preserve meat.

Like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Parridge was too hot, was too cold, but one was "just right". Finding the "just right" bullet is an art. Gotta find the combo that works.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by memtb

Quote: “If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.”

Yeah, kinda like the "Sierra Stalk" Find the elk and start running away until you get to the range where they will not blow up. Then shoot!

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
I have the 156 EOL on order to try in my 6.5's.

DF

I suspect you'll like them and then blow minds of folks when you get exits.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fotis

Yeah, kinda like the "Sierra Stalk" Find the elk and start running away until you get to the range where they will not blow up. Then shoot!

If you guys would learn holdovers or learn to dial and realize you don't need to shoot big Weatherby type cartridges at things real fast, you'd be real surprised how bullets behave, like Berger's, BTs, Hornady HPBT, amidst many others. There's something to mid range MV and higher BC's I assure you. That should get the anti-Berger/anti-Creedmore crowd riled up.

But then you may not be able to buddy brag about your big guns any longer...grin...

- Greg

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Those that can use real rifles do, those that can't use target guns...

Molon Labe
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Those that can use real rifles do, those that can't use target guns...

Don't be silly....

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by Fotis

If you guys would learn holdovers or learn to dial and realize you don't need to shoot big Weatherby type cartridges at things real fast, you'd be real surprised how bullets behave, like Berger's, BTs, Hornady HPBT, amidst many others. There's something to mid range MV and higher BC's I assure you. That should get the anti-Berger/anti-Creedmore crowd riled up.

But then you may not be able to buddy brag about your big guns any longer...grin...

Or you can use Long range accubonds or Barnes LRX and not have to worry about your ultra hyper speeds. This is another way to look at it. I have worked up loads with Bergers before but they never produced any groups I could not reproduce with LRX or accubonds or cutting edge for that matter. Life is too short and rifles are way too many to worry about the performance of a Berger or any sub-par bullet (in my eyes).
On the other hand yes I have taken antelope with my 416 Bee at over 450 yards with the 330 GS Custom HV. For me that is fun. Not for everyone mind you, but I find it personally rewarding.

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
115 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,448 guests, and 728 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.