Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dirtfarmer,

One reason to choose a heavy base, like the one you used--which is also why I chose mine.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
JG,

No, I haven't. But wouldn't be surprised if it worked OK, depending on the diameter of the suppressor, though it might require some experimentation with the position.

Haven't tried that, either. I think it would take more effort to get the relatinship right, may need a cleaning rod for that.

I'm posting the picture of mine, being we mentioned it. Some may not have seen it. Same idea as yours.

It takes a longer bench, like the one I built for the tailgate of my pickup. Works pretty well. Gibralter drum throne makes a great BR seat. Deer corn in the truck, headed to the camp; picture was taken a few years ago.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
MD, have you ever tried it with a suppressor?

With the Sporter model you'd likely have to position the whole unit in front of the suppressor due to its shape.

This is from the Wiser mount site:
Q: Will The Chrono Mount allow my MagnetoSpeed Sporter to work with a suppressor?
A: The geometry of the bayonet still limits its use, unfortunately, so it depends. See MagnetoSpeed's fitment guide for more information. We have; however, had a few customers position the entire bayonet assembly in front of their suppressors to get proper lift and gap to bore with good success. If you decide to run it in this configuration, we advise caution to be used so the exhaust gasses do not melt your bayonet strap.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
"If you decide to run it in this configuration, we advise caution to be used so the exhaust gasses do not melt your bayonet strap"

Which is, of course, irrelevant if you don't use the straps. Would be interesting to try.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
"If you decide to run it in this configuration, we advise caution to be used so the exhaust gasses do not melt your bayonet strap"

Which is, of course, irrelevant if you don't use the straps. Would be interesting to try.

Free standing in front of the suppressor may be the best way.

Would have to be careful with alignment, may require a cleaning rod alignment after each shot, as "eyeballing" the relatinship, bore to bayonet with a suppressosr sitting on the end of the barrel, would be difficult, IMO.

DF

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Got a Caldwell Rock Jr. and think this will be enough for the magneto speed mount.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Tejano
Got a Caldwell Rock Jr. and think this will be enough for the magneto speed mount.

That should work.

Just something solid enough, like JB said, that will hold it where you set it and not move around.

The free standing set up requires attention to detail, setting up each shot. You gotta get it aligned right every time.

I also take 4-5 rifle to the range, letting them cool while I shoot others.

Free standing beats the heck out of having to change the bayonet from barrel to barrel then back again. I may shoot one gun 6-8 times, cooling between groups. With 4-5 guns, that would be WAY too many swap outs, IMO.

I'd rather be concerned with precise alignment for each shot than doing all that swapping...

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Another brain fart...

With a suppressor, I'd get a wooden dowel as close to caliber size as I could find, one that would easily slide into the bore. I'd check bore/bayonet alighnemt between each shot. It wouldn't need to be more than 18" or so, just enough to index in the bore and extend over the bayonet.

Without a suppresssor, I can pretty well eyeball it. A big bulge on the end of the barrel would make that much harder, maybe impossible for any precision.

And, bayonet to bore alignment is essential to: (1) not blow up the bayonet and (2) miss recording the data. There is some leeway, but not a lot.

DF

Edited to add, with the suppressor, the dowel may have to be longer, long enough to pass thru the suppressor and into the barrel far enough to accurately establish bore axis and long enough to extend over the bayonet. 18" would probably be long enough without a suppressor. One would probably have to add suppresssor length for the dowel to work.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/12/20.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
tag

IC B3

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
The Wiser bayonet attachment is shown with a suppressed rifle. It has attachments for a bi-pod or a small rail that mounts on the sling swivel. This would be worthwhile if you have to use a cleaning rod for each shot.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How about a spacer taped to either the barrel or the Magnetospeed unit, could tape it on to the barrel or to the chrono, may want a different height for some barrels. Chunk of rubber of some type to keep it soft maybe.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
283 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 26 invisible), 2,009 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,593
Posts18,397,953
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.