Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Before we know it deer season will be here for us friends. Hunting ammo has been a challenge to get local along with finding loads of our choice online.

Fast forward to selection a factory load for my .300 win mag. Not exactly my favorite caliber but I love the rifle as it’s a custom rifle.

Does anyone have experience with this bullet in 180 grains in .300 win on deer? Looking for something that won’t blow up on me like previous experiences with the corelokt.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
BP-B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I use it in a 30-06 at 2850 FPS and never had any issues. It blows clean through. I’ve shot deer, hogs up to 300 pounds, and angus bulls that went rogue. The bulls were both shot from the side. One behind the shoulder and one under the ear - both exited.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have used the 165 Interlock for 15 years or so in a 30-06, and it is one of my favorites for whitetail. Years ago my father and I used the 139 in a 7mag for several years with great performance. We shot deer with them both near and far, and the little 139 always did its job. The 130 also works very well in a 270.

I haven't used or seen a 180 used in a 300mag, but have no doubt they will work reliability for you.

Good luck this season!

Last edited by CarolinaHunter; 07/04/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I loaded the Hornady 180 Interlock in various 300 WIN MAG rifles for decades. Used Alliant Re22 and never had a bullet "blow-up" or lost a deer. I'm using those bullets up in a 30-06 SPRG now, been using a Mule Deer load using Hunter powder, the bullets still perform fine on whitetail. I use the 165 Interlock in my 308 WIN, get the same grade of performance.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The 180 grain Hornady works fine in the .300 WM

I prefer the flat base, but thats just me, and I prefer to slow them down to 30-06 velocities, again just me...deer aren't too awfully hard to kill.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I had bad luck with interlocks one time and it scared me off. I need to give them a try again. I'm being silly I know. But that's the way I am. Burn me once and that's all. I shot at a big buck at about 120 yards coming toward me and I know damn well I hit it. But it ran off never to be found. The only bullet on deer out of my .270 Win. that has never failed me is the SGK 130 grain. I
've never had a failure with them on deer. I've killed hogs with Interlocks grave yard dead. But that one failure on ONE deer ruined my Hornady experience. I see people on here that swear by them so it must have been a fluke. I really need to give them another try. Then again, why change something that's worked for almost 40 years?

What to do? What to do?

Last edited by Filaman; 07/04/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I loaded 180 gr Hornady SP's and R-22 for full throttle loads for my youngest brother's 300 win mag model 70.He shot 2 cow elk and numerous deer with them. Never heard him complain about how they worked. My own m70 of would shoot a max load of R-22 and 180 NPT 's very well but it is a stout load you don't allways need. Playing around with the 165 gr Hornady SP flat base and h 4831 to 3000 fps got me very accurate load for deer without max recoil. Kind of a super 30-06 load and more enjoyable to shoot. Never subbed in the 165 NPT but I'll bet that would have been fine load also. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A now gone friend used the 165 for deer and elk for years in a Weatherby.
Mostly the boattail. Did fine.

Never a fan of Hornady, wouldn't hesitate to use them, just hate that stupid cannelure.

Petty, huh? Gotta have a reason. And that stupid thing seated way out of the case
is good enough.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I used to use the 165 btsp in my 300wsm all the time. But I ran them slower and the bullets worked great. Like some around here used to say, they are a "poor man's partition". Just throttle them back (think 30-06 velocities) a bit and you will be golden.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
The Boat Tail interlock in a 300 win mag is a bad idea.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I shot a mule deer doe about 90yds lengthways with the 180 Hornady going 2910 from the muzzle of a 30-06 ( the old Light Magnum ammo) It acted just fine, complete penetration. I had wounded her the evening before being stupid, and I wanted to break her down when I jumped her next morning. The flat base keeps its core better than the boat tail, so look for "180 SP Interlock" somewhere on the box. And have a ball! Years ago, I killed four deer up near Llano with a 300 Win Mag and the then available Federal Blue Box with Sierra 150 pro Hunter bullet. They acted like Partitions on those little deer! Hardly any bloodshot but 2 1/2 wound channels.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
My 300wby loves the 165 and 180 Interlocs. I’ve used on deer and elk out to 600yds. They have their limitations as any cup and core bullet does, but they’re very accurate and deadly on game within the velocity limitations of bullet construction. I wouldn’t thing twice about using 180s for deer and elk. No, I wouldn’t want to have to bust a shoulders at point blank range on a big bull.... If you have to have any shot at any range capability, then I’d step up to a premium bullet (partitions or accubonds remain my first choice). I’d also thing about jumping up in bullet weight to 200g.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Not a factory load. but I loaded some 220's for a friends 300 win mag to use in the woods and the pucker brush. It worked great for that purpose at close range.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think of Hornady Interlocks as the non-premium bullet with premium performance.

I am always skeptical of bullet failure reports on lost animals because of the following:

A well hit animal can easily run 50 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail. Most of us have seen this on more than one occasion. Yet, hunters will report shooting animals from ~100 or more yards and the animal disappears from sight after 10-15 yds of running. They "profess" to be 100% certain of a "good hit" and "blame bullet failure" even though they have no physical evidence to support it; i.e., no recovered animal.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 07/05/20.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I agree within reasonable limits. A 165 interlock impacting at 3400fps (a distance of 10’) wont make it to the off side rib cage of a large mule deer when shot squarely through the lungs. Bullet failure? No, just way out of design parameters of the bullet. No question many of the true premium bullets would have exited. The 300wby shooting 165 Interlocs remains my mule deer combination of choice because of it’s effectiveness. I actually prefer it to my 7STW that shoots 160 accubonds as fast (even though it shoots flatter). One of the things I really appreciate about the Interlocs is how easy they are to find great accuracy. For new rifles, I always start with Interlocs and accubonds.

Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
I think of Hornady Interlocks as the non-premium bullet with premium performance.

I am always skeptical of bullet failure reports on lost animals because of the following:

A well hit animal can easily run 50 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail. Most of us have seen this on more than one occasion. Yet, hunters will report shooting animals from ~100 or more yards and the animal disappears from sight after 10-15 yds of running. They "profess" to be 100% certain of a "good hit" and "blame bullet failure" even though they have no physical evidence to support it; i.e., no recovered animal.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At camp, we had one fellow who shot a 300 WIN Mag. He had good luck with 180's and 165's-- both downloaded somewhat with H4895. It made for a fairly easy-shooting rifle.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a friend who lives in Montana, but he used to live in Nevada and he's hunted deer with a Ruger M77 in 300 Win Mag for all the years I have known him (about 35 now) and the ONLY bullet he uses is the Hornady 180 grain flat base Inner-lock. Other then an AR15, the 300 is the only center fire rifle he owns.
I have seen him kill several deer with it (maybe 8) and I know he's used it for elk and bear too. I told him about 168 grain Barnes and the 180 grain Partitions, but he said he'd take my advice if the old Hornady ever failed him. So far he says it's never let him down. Hard to argue with that.

I also used a few in my old 308 Norma Mag about 30 years ago, and I have nothing to whine about.

Last edited by szihn; 07/07/20.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I used the 180 interlock for 14 years or so in a 300wm. The only thing to complain about was the kick, not the performance.

One year early on I was looking for the 180 interlock Hornady Custom factory load, and the store was out. I bought reloading gear soon after that and continued on with the same bullet.

B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thank you for everyone’s responses..
I should note for this application of the good old .300 win mag I would be shooting between 100 to 130 yards.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre

Well said, and the truth

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
97 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 15 invisible), 1,679 guests, and 658 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,741
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.