Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
So in my haste to actually drive today, i pulled out of the garage and ran over an old bottle of rv toilet chemical which was the old formaldehyde formula, can hardly go in now, fumes are overpowering, any stuff to dilute it, or do i just run the hose in the garage and try to flush it out, seems to be absorbed into the concrete floor now.

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Atmospheric gassing off

Airing it out is all I can tell you.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Partsman
So in my haste to actually drive today, i pulled out of the garage and ran over an old bottle of rv toilet chemical which was the old formaldehyde formula, can hardly go in now, fumes are overpowering, any stuff to dilute it, or do i just run the hose in the garage and try to flush it out, seems to be absorbed into the concrete floor now.

Trap yourself a skunk. wink

A commercial ozone machine is the only thing I can suggest.

Last edited by windridge; 07/08/20.

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Didn’t Jeffery Dahmer make those Laotian kids drink that stuff after he drilled holes in their skulls?

Partsman, why are errrr where you keeping that around?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've heard that odor is an aphrodisiac for a funeral director

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by slumlord
Didn’t Jeffery Dahmer make those Laotian kids drink that stuff after he drilled holes in their skulls?

used to use it in all my rv stuff good for waste, but this one I think came from when we cleaned out in laws house when they passed and I forgot it was around, and it must have rolled under the jeep and didn't not know till I drove out and heard a pop, so soaked up what I could,
It is powerful stuff

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would call around to the chemistry departments of major universities and ask if there's anything like an extension office. Also might want to contact companies that used to manufacture it. They should know.
Be careful about sharing personal info since it might, by law, require a hazmat team and epa regs.

Let me know what you find out.
I've smelled some somewhere for decades just as strong. I wouldn't hose anything off. Depending if aquafer or runoff, water supplies sometimes run far off. State and fed epa would test ground water, big fines and clean up costs...perhaps neighbor suit. Just my .02cents as a good neighbor is this opinion.
Just rubber gloves, thick dishwashing ones, old cotton rags, rags, put in a sealable snap lid bucket asap.
Whatever you do, I would keep all pets and kids away and more than careful about skin. I'd dispose of the clothes and gloves afterwards. Oh, btw, you might want to through an absorbent on it afterwards.....clay cat litter, baking soda. Fire place ashes. Careful because creasote is carcinogenic and caustic, no doubt could blind someone who accidentally touches their face. This all might be illegal, dangerous and not know it, so at your own risk of course.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Maybe.....you should give "back on the road" deal a few more days-weeks eh?

I am MAGA.
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by slumlord

Without that formaldehyde, Dahmer could not have made the moo goo guy in the pan and penis butter and jelly sandwiches.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
mixing formaldehyde and ammonia will give a relative non-toxic mixture of methenamine , if the formaldehyde has not been oxidized to formic acid which is probably what you are smelling, especially if it has been sitting on hot concrete.. also there will be other oxidation products.

depending on the ratio of what is left the formic acid would also neutralized by the ammonia.

you may want to check with a local HazMat team.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Dilution is the solution to pollution. Lots of water.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Etoh
mixing formaldehyde and ammonia will give a relative non-toxic mixture of methenamine , if the formaldehyde has not been oxidized to formic acid which is probably what you are smelling, especially if it has been sitting on hot concrete.. also there will be other oxidation products.

depending on the ratio of what is left the formic acid would also neutralized by the ammonia.

you may want to check with a local HazMat team.

He is Canadian.

Pour a pint of maple syrup on it and call it a day, eh.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
if your curious about that kind of stuff.

phenyl propanone (a type of formaldehyde called a ketone) and dimethylamine (a type of ammonia) are condensed to make amphetamines

the same dimethylamine can be condensed with organic acids, one in particular lysergic acid to form LSD

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E

this neutralization route is geared more towards use in tissue samples, so the formalin doesn't interfere with additional analysis.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Would a commercial ozone generator neutralize the formaldehyde? What would be its effect on the "ant acid"?

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So basically, piss on it?

At least he warned us. laugh

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
P
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Thanks for the info and humour, I will be away all day tomorrow heading up to see a house in Kelowna, see how it is when I get back, wiped up as much as I could.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by windridge
Would a commercial ozone generator neutralize the formaldehyde? What would be its effect on the "ant acid"?

ozone is a strong oxidizing agent. remaining aldehydes and ketones would be oxidized to their corresponding organic acids

in the case for formaldehyde, it would oxidize to more ant acid (formic)

and depending on the containment of the ozone, it could oxidize anything it comes in contact with, some of which, may not wanted to be oxidized

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Formaldehyde? I used to know a retired guy who went to work part time for a funeral director. He'd worked all his life for Wonder Bread. He told me that the 1st time he assisted with an embalming, he recognized the fluid as the same stuff they used as a preservative in bread. Embalming fluid is largely formaldehyde with a few other ingredients. I guess that if you eat enough Wonder Bread, you'll keep forever.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.