Hop To
Page 41 of 43 1 2 39 40 41 42 43
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
[quote=VarmintGuy]

Have you wondered what would prompt a cyclist to do something like that one did?

Douche-baggery?

That's certainly a possibility, but I am going to guess, and this is based on experience, that it is due to too many unnecessarily close passes.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
PaulBarnard: Does "this" describe you?
Last month on a narrow two lane highway (one lane in each direction) between Alder, Montana and Virginia City, Montana I am driving along and come upon a slow moving bicyclist that had attached to his bicycle a 5' long stick with flag attached at the end.
Problem was the "stick/flag" was extending horizontally not vertically!
And said stick stuck into his lane of travel at least 4 1/2'!!!
Causing folks travelling in his lane (ME!) to slow down and travel in the ONCOMING lane to pass around him!
WTF I said to myself as I and the car behind me went into the oncoming lane and had to slow down in a limited sight section of the road.
I was miffed at this dimwit bicyclist's idiocy but went on my way.
The fellow in the car behind me DID NOT!
He pulled in front of the bike/bicyclist and turned his car so the "biker" had to stop!
I slowed as I watched in the rear view mirror - last I saw was the fellow in the car opening his door and getting out of the car - obviously to speak with the bicyclist in question.
He-he I thought.
I continue on to the gunshop in Ennis, Montana do my business and start backtracking towards my home on the route I had came. Who do I come across but said idiot bicyclist and he no longer has the long stick and flag extending into the lane of travel!
It MAY have been shoved up his ass - I don't know?
I myself worry about bicyclist using auto lanes and not keeping up to speed or staying on the shoulder as many roads where I live have NO shoulders.
Bike safe!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

There are a lot of different angles on that. First off, it is very prickish of the cyclist to do that. While I say that, I will also say that I wouldn't pass a cyclist on that road without moving into the oncoming lane. I might if he moved to the tiny strip of pavement to the right of the fog line and I crawled past him. Montana law requires a "safe" distance in passing a cyclist. I am going to go for a minimum of 3 feet. I will most often move completely into the oncoming lane. It's really easy to do on lightly traveled rural roads like that. Some states require it. A few states require more than 3 feet. 3 feet seems to be the most common minimum established by law.

The guy that got out of his car was as big of a prick as the cyclist. What in the name of fuukk makes people comfortable getting out and taking up issues with cyclists. Those same people don't do it with motorists.

But wasn't it pretty much a non-issue for you and the other driver? That's not a high traffic road, and while it's got some curves, sight lines are generally good enough to pass a slow moving cyclist.

I like riding on roads like that. I ride in the middle of the lane. When a vehicle comes up from behind, I glance over my shoulder. I continue doing over the shoulder checks as they close the distance. I do this so that they know I know they are there. I do allow that they may be distracted morons and not notice me. The way it usually plays out is I see them start drifting over to set up to pass. As they do that, I drift to the right side of the lane to create a cushion an as a sign of courtesy. I wave as they pass at a safe distance. I was riding a road like that last year in CO. A semi was coming from both directions. I got the hell of the road. The bottom line is that I choose the strategy that my intuition and experience leads me to. I am prepared to bail hard right at any moment.

Why do I ride in the middle of the lane? There are several reasons. It makes me more visible. Motorists are much less likely to buzz pass me. As they approach, if I sense a buzz pass, I still have some real estate to move over into to create a safer distance.

That rider must have been slow as hell if you had time to go into a gun store and come back out and him still be on that less than 10 mile stretch of road.

Have you wondered what would prompt a cyclist to do something like that one did?

I think Louisiana Law requires 6’ of separation when a vehicle encounters bicyclist.

Please don’t try to think

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Paul, im glad to hear you are one of the few conscientious, noncontentious bikers out there. smile You must still take care, as there are a lot of hispanic dimocrap women on welfare driving F -250s out there.

The most dangerous drivers are old folks. REALLY? - THEY ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN DRUNKS AND DRUGGIES?
That's part of the reason Florida has a bicycle death rate 2 times the national average. MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE THE OLD BIKE/TRIKE RIDERS ARE SO INEPT.
The angriest drivers are middle age, out of shape, white males. OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THE CRAZY YOUNG COWGIRLS DRIVING PICKUPS OUT THIS WAY - OR THE LESBIANS DRIVING THOSE SUBARUS

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Last month on a narrow two lane highway (one lane in each direction) between Alder, Montana and Virginia City, Montana I am driving along and come upon a slow moving bicyclist that had attached to his bicycle a 5' long stick with flag attached at the end.
Causing folks travelling in his lane (ME!) to slow down and travel in the ONCOMING lane to pass around him!
WTF I said to myself as I and the car behind me went into the oncoming lane and had to slow down in a limited sight section of the road.
He pulled in front of the bike/bicyclist and turned his car so the "biker" had to stop!
I slowed as I watched in the rear view mirror - last I saw was the fellow in the car opening his door and getting out of the car - obviously to speak with the bicyclist in question.
He-he I thought.
I continue on to the gunshop in Ennis, Montana do my business and start backtracking towards my home on the route I had came. Who do I come across but said idiot bicyclist and he no longer has the long stick and flag extending into the lane of travel!
I myself worry about bicyclist using auto lanes and not keeping up to speed or staying on the shoulder as many roads where I live have NO shoulders.
Bike safe!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

There are a lot of different angles on that. First off, it is very prickish of the cyclist to do that. While I say that, I will also say that I wouldn't pass a cyclist on that road without moving into the oncoming lane. I might if he moved to the tiny strip of pavement to the right of the fog line and I crawled past him. Montana law requires a "safe" distance in passing a cyclist. I am going to go for a minimum of 3 feet. I will most often move completely into the oncoming lane. It's really easy to do on lightly traveled rural roads like that. Some states require it. A few states require more than 3 feet. 3 feet seems to be the most common minimum established by law.

The guy that got out of his car was as big of a prick as the cyclist. What in the name of fuukk makes people comfortable getting out and taking up issues with cyclists. Those same people don't do it with motorists.

But wasn't it pretty much a non-issue for you and the other driver? That's not a high traffic road, and while it's got some curves, sight lines are generally good enough to pass a slow moving cyclist.

I like riding on roads like that. I ride in the middle of the lane. When a vehicle comes up from behind, I glance over my shoulder. I continue doing over the shoulder checks as they close the distance. I do this so that they know I know they are there. I do allow that they may be distracted morons and not notice me. The way it usually plays out is I see them start drifting over to set up to pass. As they do that, I drift to the right side of the lane to create a cushion an as a sign of courtesy. I wave as they pass at a safe distance. I was riding a road like that last year in CO. A semi was coming from both directions. I got the hell of the road. The bottom line is that I choose the strategy that my intuition and experience leads me to. I am prepared to bail hard right at any moment.

Why do I ride in the middle of the lane? There are several reasons. It makes me more visible. Motorists are much less likely to buzz pass me. As they approach, if I sense a buzz pass, I still have some real estate to move over into to create a safer distance.

That rider must have been slow as hell if you had time to go into a gun store and come back out and him still be on that less than 10 mile stretch of road.

I think Louisiana Law requires 6’ of separation when a vehicle encounters bicyclist.

https://www.ncsl.org/research/transportation/safely-passing-bicyclists.aspx

The 6’ rule is newish following right after Baton Rouge City councilman, Buddy Amoroso was hit and killed on Hwy 66 (Angola road) last year.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hatari
It occurs to me from my participation in a number of different forums that Americans love to express their rage for bicyclists on the road. I am a bicyclist. It's one of my many passions. So give me your best shot. In the end we may all learn something.

My problem with bicyclists?

1.) They use roads for recreation not transportation. Outside of ultra urban areas and college towns that have beaucoup bike lanes, I got 'em out here riding in pelotons of 25 and more that can't do 12 mph up a hill. We have many hills here. I only see 2 type of true bicycle communters here: a.) Man bun 30 year olds and b.) DUI recipients that have no drivers license.

2.) They insist on having 5 pm rides that start in the center of town and ride through suburbia during rush hour backing traffic a 1/4 mile behind them on double yellow roads.

3.) too many do not follow the rules of the road, weave in and out of stopped traffic, ignore traffic lights and then piss all down their legs if some car doesn't see them sneaking up from behind and cuts them off.

4.) Idiots will ride alone on our curvy hilly roads at odd hour and occasionally become statistics when they are riding in the middle of a lane at 16 mph and a cars overtakes them coming around a blind curve.

Biking is a great exercise and sport. My wife is a triathlete and bikes. Just not on public roads. She's had several friends involved in incidents with autos. They lost the confrontation.

I have seen some of those rush hour rides there. I want no part of that. Where does your wife ride her bicycle training for and during triathlons?

All road users need to drive within their line of sight on hills and blind curves.

Either the Greenway we have here or the Budweiser complex in Cartersville on the weekends.

We are very fortunate to have some dedicated paths on the lake and river levees here. If we didn't, I wouldn't ride. These roads and drivers are ill suited for harmonious sharing. The rural roads of south MS where my camp is are great. 35 miles into my ride this past weekend, I had been overtaken by just 3 autos. Because cycling is becoming more common, the drivers are getting acclimated and the whole situation is pretty good. My number may be up next time I ride there, but it won't be because I was rude or not on high alert. Hell, it may be up on my drive this evening.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by BobBrown
He-he I thought.
Bike safe!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Please don’t try to think

Such wisdom from the browneyebob.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He-he I thought.
Bike safe!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

The 6’ rule is newish following right after Baton Rouge City councilman, Buddy Amoroso was hit and killed on Hwy 66 (Angola road) last year.

Which campfire member here got him?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
[quote=VarmintGuy]

Douche-baggery?

That's certainly a possibility, but I am going to guess, and this is based on experience, that it is due to too many unnecessarily close passes.

We’ve had discussions like this before and we’ve both laid out our positions so there’s no real need to hash it out again. But as for what you just said, you know I ride bikes and motorcycles. I’ve had plenty of close calls from close passes on both. Never once though did it occur to me to place a board with a flag on the end on either side to claim a lane.

Dude has balls though, I’ll say that much for him... 😁

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
He-he I thought.
Bike safe!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Which campfire member here got him?

Heh.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Paul, im glad to hear you are one of the few conscientious, noncontentious bikers out there. smile You must still take care, as there are a lot of hispanic dimocrap women on welfare driving F -250s out there.

The most dangerous drivers are old folks. REALLY? - THEY ARE MORE DANGEROUS THAN DRUNKS AND DRUGGIES?
That's part of the reason Florida has a bicycle death rate 2 times the national average. MAYBE THAT'S BECAUSE THE OLD BIKE/TRIKE RIDERS ARE SO INEPT.
The angriest drivers are middle age, out of shape, white males. OBVIOUSLY YOU HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THE CRAZY YOUNG COWGIRLS DRIVING PICKUPS OUT THIS WAY - OR THE LESBIANS DRIVING THOSE SUBARUS

A drunk driver would be more of a threat, but because of the sheer numbers of older folks in FL they present a greater threat. Cycling accident data is not great, but the folks that live down that way will tell you it's the old folks.

The Subaru drivers in CO are unequivocally the most courteous group of drivers I encounter anywhere. Full size Chevy/GM truck and SUV drivers the worst by a good margin.

IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

Another Covid victim. Should have been wearing his mask...

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/09/20.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
You ain’t seen an empty room until you been to a bicyclist’s funeral.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deflave
You ain’t seen an empty room until you been to a bicyclist’s funeral.

Laffin... 🤣

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We are very fortunate to have some dedicated paths on the lake and river levees here. If we didn't, I wouldn't ride. These roads and drivers are ill suited for harmonious sharing. The rural roads of south MS where my camp is are great. 35 miles into my ride this past weekend, I had been overtaken by just 3 autos. Because cycling is becoming more common, the drivers are getting acclimated and the whole situation is pretty good. My number may be up next time I ride there, but it won't be because I was rude or not on high alert. Hell, it may be up on my drive this evening.

Sounds like the perfect place to ride. Low traffic, and southern MS is flat and straight as I recall. Go ahead!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I don’t ride a bike like these guys with the spandex shorts and helmets do. I’ve had the same bike since around 2004. Every now and then I’ll jump on it - with whatever clothes I happen to be wearing at the time - for the hell of it and ride it around the neighborhood.

When I get a wild hair, if I get on a road and there’s no bike lane, I’ll either get on the sidewalk or pull over in the dirt and let cars pass if I’m in their way.

I see jackasses all over the place here riding in the middle of the lane as though they’re on full blown motorcycles instead of a gay ass bikes.

9 times out of 10, they are phagity old, gray ass university professors. I live about one minute up the block from the university. Biggest douche bags on the face of the earth.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 07/09/20.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I use lights with cameras in them and have them on both front and rear. I figure the wife may be a millionaire if I get hit. I don't wear the spandex. Used the shorts once and hated them and I won't go out in public with my stuff hanging out. Even as short as it is at almost 69 years old. Be Well, Rustyzipper.

Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance, and the gospel of envy. Its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery. Winston Churchill.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L

9 times out of 10, they are phagity old, gray ass university professors. I live about one minute up the block from the university. Biggest douche bags on the face of the earth.

And yet you choose to live there - and complain. Oh yes, the is the 24hrcrybaby forum.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Sounds like the perfect place to ride. Low traffic, and southern MS is flat and straight as I recall. Go ahead!

There are some slow rolling hills and blind curves. It's certainly something that I take into consideration when I am driving and riding.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

sorry

her bike has a flat tire

[Linked Image from bestlatinawomen.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Page 41 of 43 1 2 39 40 41 42 43

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1234, 70 invisible), 3,531 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,271
Posts18,467,379
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.