24hourcampfire.com
-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
10essee Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello fellas. New to the forum and was hoping someone could answer me a question. I have an old M96 Mauser In 6.5x55 that ive just been shooting factory ammo out of but recently had a custom built on a 700 action.
I was able to find a 100 Norma brass back when I started the build but have combed the web since and it all seems unavailable or discontinued. Would anyone happen to know if Norma dropped the caliber from their line. Seems there’s no loaded ammo from Norma in this caliber available either.
I’ve long been a fan of the Swede and since building the modern action am hoping to get the most out of it. With annealing and neck sizing I forgive I can get several reloads from what I have but I’d like to have a stash pile to work from when those are shot out.

GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Post this on the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
10essee Offline OP
OP Offline
Ok. No problem. Thanks

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 10essee
Hello fellas. New to the forum and was hoping someone could answer me a question. I have an old M96 Mauser In 6.5x55 that ive just been shooting factory ammo out of but recently had a custom built on a 700 action.
I was able to find a 100 Norma brass back when I started the build but have combed the web since and it all seems unavailable or discontinued. Would anyone happen to know if Norma dropped the caliber from their line. Seems there’s no loaded ammo from Norma in this caliber available either.
I’ve long been a fan of the Swede and since building the modern action am hoping to get the most out of it. With annealing and neck sizing I forgive I can get several reloads from what I have but I’d like to have a stash pile to work from when those are shot out.

hi

I can assure you that Norma still loads the 6.5 x 55 Swedish, and with many bullet choices for target and hunting.

The cartridge is still very popular here in Sweden, and for sure is still loaded by the millions.

In fact, it would be easy for me to pick up a few pounds of once-fired cases at the range during August and September -- most Swedes don't reload for this cartridge since factory-loaded practice ammo is so cheap.

Unfortunately, getting fired cases by US customs would likely require a huge amount of paperwork. The USA is very unfriendly to any sort of firearms-related imports.

It is likely that the American distributor has some sort of a problem, but just wait a bit and I'm sure that you will be able to stock up.

If you find Lapua cases or loaded ammo, buy'em. They are extremely good cases!

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Post this on the "Ask the Gunwriters" forum.

Why?

So they can critique his grammar

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
New guy

Post this in the classifieds. WTB

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Since you have a custom built on a 700, you may run into a problem. I have never used Norma brass for that but I have used Lapua brass. Lapua is made for a Mauser with a claw extractor, it is a narrow groove, and the head diameter is a bit bigger than the usual .473". Many have no issues with Lapua brass in a Remington, but some do. Most all of the American made brass companies make the Swede with a .473" head. I use Lapua but I turn the brass to fit. I have Winchester, Remington and Nosler brass too.

In a well chambered modern action, the Swede really shines!

Last edited by WayneShaw; 07/09/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently, there's been a run on Norma brass in 6.5x55. Hopefully, it will be back in stock soon. I have seen Lapua and Hornady brass in 6.5x55 available and I'd have no issue using either.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
All Norma products are traditionally found next to the hens' teeth in the unicorn aisle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A run on ammunition,brass?? You don’t say...just swede?

lol laugh

I need to put my Hell I Was There book down and see what I can find.

Lemme pack my kaywoodie and put my yellow suspenders on and head to Fat Fred’s LGS.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Current Savage target gun...pic below

6.5x55 using PTG bolt face works with Lapua...Norma or any domestic brass

Same with the Tikka...any brass...yes Norma & Lapua have slightly larger head size...

Watch Euro Optics for brass..

PS....I have a gold box of Lapua 6.5x55 F/S

https://www.eurooptic.com/Norma-Brass-65X55-Shooter-Pack-50-per-box-20265517.aspx

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Since you have a custom built on a 700, you may run into a problem. I have never used Norma brass for that but I have used Lapua brass. Lapua is made for a Mauser with a claw extractor, it is a narrow groove, and the head diameter is a bit bigger than the usual .473". Many have no issues with Lapua brass in a Remington, but some do. Most all of the American made brass companies make the Swede with a .473" head. I use Lapua but I turn the brass to fit. I have Winchester, Remington and Nosler brass too.

Umm, Actually the American brass manufacturers are the ones that screwed it up, as usual...the cartridge was designed from the get go with a 12.20 mm rim= .480". I would guess that the Americans said, "gee, just think how much money we could save if we built brass and boltheads to the more popular .473"...don't worry about the case stretching on multiple firings just ahead of the web. If the brass fails a little early, it's ok, we can just sell them some more ill dimensioned crap."
In a well chambered action, the original CIP chamber supports the case as was originally designed, giving long case life and safety for the reloader. The very quiet re-design of the 6.5x55 to a long version of the .260 Rem didn't do anyone any favors.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by flintlocke
Originally Posted by WayneShaw

Umm, Actually the American brass manufacturers are the ones that screwed it up, as usual...the cartridge was designed from the get go with a 12.20 mm rim= .480". I would guess that the Americans said, "gee, just think how much money we could save if we built brass and boltheads to the more popular .473"...don't worry about the case stretching on multiple firings just ahead of the web. If the brass fails a little early, it's ok, we can just sell them some more ill dimensioned crap."
In a well chambered action, the original CIP chamber supports the case as was originally designed, giving long case life and safety for the reloader. The very quiet re-design of the 6.5x55 to a long version of the .260 Rem didn't do anyone any favors.

I fail to see how a .473" case as apposed to a .480" case will cause case stretching. I assume you are suggesting since the claw extractor engages the small extractor groove, that will hold the case from stretching? I wouldn't depend on it.

I stated since the OP has a custom gun on a Rem 700, that the chamber would be one closer to a SAAMI spec as apposed to a sloppy military chamber. This is how a Swede can perform with any other modern cartridge, modern strength action, good chamber, you can run it way over what the old Mausers could handle. And since the OP is going to reload, first with neck sizing only, he will not have to worry about the stretch the old guns did. Then with the proper adjustment of the sizing die, case stretch is no worse than any other cartridge on the market.

It's the older guns, very generous chambers and weak actions that set back when firing, and brass/loaded rounds made to go in ANY gun with that chamber, is where you run into trashing a case in 2 or 3 reloads.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As already stated, "Real" 6.5x55 brass has a .480 Rim Diameter, domestic brass uses .473.

This makes no difference when fired in a "true" Swede with the correct bolt face.

You built yours on a Rem 700 Action, you need to check the bolt face, if it is for .473, the stick with Domestic brass, if it is .480 then all will work.

I have two (2) 6.5x55 rifles both have the correct bolt face. I use Norma in one and Lapua in the other. I prefer the Lapua.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, about a year ago, 6.5x55 Norma brass was easily found. Today, not so much.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 16penny, 58 invisible), 2,646 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.