Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Back in the early 1990s, they were coming into the US by the boat load, either factory new or Russian armory refurbished. Not sure which they were. They looked factory new. I bought four of them for $100.00 each, and sold one to my brother for what I paid. Over the years, I sold two of mine (I think I got about $400.00 apiece for them in the early 2000s), and I kept the best of the three. My brother still has his.

I was thinking of selling the last one I have, and went online to see what folks are getting for them with all matching numbers, nice shape, and pristine bore, like mine. Bidding typically starts at $750.00 or more, and some are getting about a grand for them. What the heck??

[Linked Image]

BP-B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
They are a fine.weapon...

@ $75

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Don't know if he still has it but a friend of mine brought back a captured original issue SKS from his tour in RSVN.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Non-arsenal refinished sample in excellent condition is $800+/-100 while arsenal refinished bring $500 to $600. Russian military/police Makarovs start at about $600 bring baks well over $1000 approaching $2000. Americans crazy. On the other hand not long ago fine MC-7 shotgun in excellent condition could be bought for not a lot more than $2000, that's cheap. Americans make no sense.
Look at ammo situation in: 9x19, .380, .45ACP at common internet retailers, most are "out of stock". Mucho Loco!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hmmm

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing

@ $75

Guess again ........They are a fine rifle, period.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before American panic Chinese Poly-Tech AK about $3000 at same time used Arsenal assembled form American and Bulgarian parts bout $900. Crazy people still buy overpriced Chinese stuff. Another example $350CDN Chinese Norconia 1911 $600 in USA, loco! At same time CZ 1911A1s were sold for about $700 (made in USA in Norwich NY). The were not popular at the time so <1000 were made.
Why the only response Americans have to crisis is run on buying Guns and ammo? This is crazy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wish I'd bought 50 at a hunnat dollah a pop. I actually bought ten, cherry picked two for myself and flipped the others to pals at no profit to me.

The Simonov is actually a pretty good firearm. I have several Chinese, one factory, the others parts guns shooters, and they are all reliable and decently accurate, two really shoot well, nearly enough but not quite for PDs.

As for the two Soviets, I've left them unscoped and in factory shape with new rear sights on the action cover (spare generic) and some bedding to de-stress them a hair. I also took off the varnish (which was coming off anyway) and used modern poly finishes. One is a Stalin-year, the other Krushchev, which is a neat link to history. They'll score about 80-85 on the NRA target with an X or two.

For a hundred bucks or less, every one was a screaming deal and shoots fine. But 750? I don't think I'd buy one now. Bringbacks and Albanians are off the charts as are even the most hammered Yugos.

But it was great while it lasted, just like K-98s.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by CashisKing

@ $75

Guess again ........They are a fine rifle, period.

especially when they fire in 3 round groups

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My "brother" got shot by one from about five feet away. Pissed him off so he killed the guy who shot him, although I think he would have killed the fellow regardless of whether he was angry or not.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I remember seein’ em’ by the case for $65 a piece at the gun shows at the Houston AstroHall and the Convention Center downtown...in the 90’s. But you could also buy new Colt 1991 A1’s for $279 a piece from distributors then too. If I only knew...

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Given that ordinary citizens can't easily own selective fire rifles the SKS does make sense. The Norconia ones with factory high-cap magazines/adapters make more sense than an AK/AKM. They are less expensive to own and just as effective.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
With a blueprint, a sheet metal bending brake and some hand tools you can build your own AK. It will be as good as or better than the one you buy for $1K!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Hindsight is 20/20

Lot's of thing bought back when would have turned a huge profit.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I remember when Cokes were a nickel and I could see my dick.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Leading up to Clinton's assault weapon ban in 1994 many firearms dealers already had piles of SKS rifles on hand. Unsure if they would be banned as well, leaving them with a bunch of money tied up in guns they could not sell they started undercutting each-other's prices hoping to get rid of as many as they could before the ban deadline date. The lowest I saw them was $59. As it turned out, though, (IIRC) SKS rifles sold after ban could not have fixed bayonet but those sold with bayonets before the ban date were 'grandfathered ' in.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Wish I'd bought 50 at a hunnat dollah a pop. I actually bought ten, cherry picked two for myself and flipped the others to pals at no profit to me.

The Simonov is actually a pretty good firearm. I have several Chinese, one factory, the others parts guns shooters, and they are all reliable and decently accurate, two really shoot well, nearly enough but not quite for PDs.

As for the two Soviets, I've left them unscoped and in factory shape with new rear sights on the action cover (spare generic) and some bedding to de-stress them a hair. I also took off the varnish (which was coming off anyway) and used modern poly finishes. One is a Stalin-year, the other Krushchev, which is a neat link to history. They'll score about 80-85 on the NRA target with an X or two.

For a hundred bucks or less, every one was a screaming deal and shoots fine. But 750? I don't think I'd buy one now. Bringbacks and Albanians are off the charts as are even the most hammered Yugos.

But it was great while it lasted, just like K-98s.

Yeah, I kick myself for not buying more Swedes at $85 a rifle in the 90's at Big Five. Buddy of mine who "knew things" told me we had better get our asses down there and pick through a couple as they had the reputation of being shooters.

I've got one I originally wanted to "sporterize" with aftermarket stock, have the bolt handle bent, drill and tap, shorten the barrel and all that jazz. Got to looking at it a few years later, and the values on them. All matching numbers except the cleaning rod, which some collectors have told me I'm lucky to have. Seems like that's the item most likely to get lost or swapped during an arsenal re-furb.

At one point I put a no gunsmithing mount on it, with a cheap long eye relief scope and using Rem factory ammo put 3 in less than 2" at 200 yds. Now I've removed the scope and am keeping it for barter or sale or "emergency use".

What we could have done had we known, eh?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by antlers
I remember seein’ em’ by the case for $65 a piece at the gun shows at the Houston AstroHall and the Convention Center downtown...in the 90’s. But you could also buy new Colt 1991 A1’s for $179 a piece from distributors then too. If I only knew...

1991 lol

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Funny, back then the conventional wisdom on em was that the stocks were designed for 12 year old girls and they were about as accurate as a Parkinson's patient throwing darts.

Apparently they have aged well in the past 25 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Originally Posted by antlers
I remember seein’ em’ by the case for $65 a piece at the gun shows at the Houston AstroHall and the Convention Center downtown...in the 90’s. But you could also buy new Colt 1991 A1’s for $179 a piece from distributors then too. If I only knew...
1991 lol
Whatcha laffin’ at...?

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
578 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 12308300, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,736
Posts18,401,088
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.