Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Formaldehyde? I used to know a retired guy who went to work part time for a funeral director. He'd worked all his life for Wonder Bread. He told me that the 1st time he assisted with an embalming, he recognized the fluid as the same stuff they used as a preservative in bread. Embalming fluid is largely formaldehyde with a few other ingredients. I guess that if you eat enough Wonder Bread, you'll keep forever.

Must have been a really long time ago, or maybe just in a way different part of the country. I worked for Wonder Bread (Continental Baking) in the mid 80's and there was no formaldehyde anywhere around the plant.

Might be he smelled something else in the embalming compounds that smelled similar to what was used in baking?

I said I USED to know...like 30 or 40 years ago used to. There have been a lot of changes in the world since then.

Yep, there most certainly has been a few changes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by FishinHank
We use formalin to treat our fish for trichodynia. Its some nasty stuff!

Have used a lot of it in the fish industry. Egg treatment, parasites. Nasty crap if you ask me.

One place I had to show the bosses I could get the same and better results with salt on our fry and cut back on using the stuff in the hatchery building. Resistant to change they were, at the expense of my health and anyone else around when I was treating. I like salt!

Saltwater is definitely a better option! Wish we could use it here but we are quite a ways up the creek from good saltwater. A few of the hatcheries I've worked at have pumps though and they utilize it. Hatch is so much easier with some saltwater in the mix.

I bet. I just used salt on the fry once hatched in the hatchery troughs. Turn down the water, put in the short standpipe, empty a 50lb bag of salt in with most of it at the head, wait for them to start losing balance, turn the water on, put in the tall standpipe again.

No dragging a jug of formalin from the 55 gal drum through the building, filling chicken waterers, breathing fumes etc. You probably know the routine.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Potassium Permanganate impregnated zeolite works for air. Not sure how it works in a contact situation.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We use formalin to treat our fish for trichodynia. Its some nasty stuff!

Have used a lot of it in the fish industry. Egg treatment, parasites. Nasty crap if you ask me.

One place I had to show the bosses I could get the same and better results with salt on our fry and cut back on using the stuff in the hatchery building. Resistant to change they were, at the expense of my health and anyone else around when I was treating. I like salt!

Saltwater is definitely a better option! Wish we could use it here but we are quite a ways up the creek from good saltwater. A few of the hatcheries I've worked at have pumps though and they utilize it. Hatch is so much easier with some saltwater in the mix.

I bet. I just used salt on the fry once hatched in the hatchery troughs. Turn down the water, put in the short standpipe, empty a 50lb bag of salt in with most of it at the head, wait for them to start losing balance, turn the water on, put in the tall standpipe again.

No dragging a jug of formalin from the 55 gal drum through the building, filling chicken waterers, breathing fumes etc. You probably know the routine.

We used to use chicken waterers on our heath tray stacks but we use a peristaltic pump on the head boxes that feed the nopads. Pretty slick deal but I don't miss the fumes. I had to treat the adults today but luckily that raceway is outside so its not too bad. I still wear a respirator though when I pump it out of the barrel. Some of the hatcheries in PWS still use hydrogen peroxide which is nasty crap too.

The issue with using saltwater straight out of the ocean is you have to run it through a UV system before it goes to any eggs or fish to kill anything in the water.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Box fan and a weed burner.

Put fan @ back of garage and heat the wet spot w the weed burner.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm very sensitive to form. and have found that lemon scented ammonia in a glass bowl left in a sealed area will help.
After that run an ionizer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've developed a sensitivity to Betadine too, along with Argentine and Ovadine.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

You let your Doctors know, right.

Not good if you need to get operated on and some imaging requires an "iodine contrast" injection. Likely they have something else.

Amazed me I never developed the sensitivity to all those things. Tried my best to avoid it as much as possible. Bosses always seemed to want to use the strongest option first, I tended the other way.

I hear you on the raw water. That was our problem at the one place, our eggs were hatched in jars using raw river water, the jars sat in the indoor raceways they were going into when hatched, and the problem with using the formalin was that there were other things going on in the bldg and other people working there. No nasty fumes from salt, but bosses being bosses, things didn't always go my way. Never could figure out all the money they used for other crap, why not put some UV units on the hatching/rearing water inside?

In it is contentment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You let your Doctors know, right.

Not good if you need to get operated on and some imaging requires an "iodine contrast" injection. Likely they have something else.

Amazed me I never developed the sensitivity to all those things. Tried my best to avoid it as much as possible. Bosses always seemed to want to use the strongest option first, I tended the other way.

I hear you on the raw water. That was our problem at the one place, our eggs were hatched in jars using raw river water, the jars sat in the indoor raceways they were going into when hatched, and the problem with using the formalin was that there were other things going on in the bldg and other people working there. No nasty fumes from salt, but bosses being bosses, things didn't always go my way. Never could figure out all the money they used for other crap, why not put some UV units on the hatching/rearing water inside?

If you saw how much we had to move our fish it would make your head explode.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (264mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 260madman, 40 invisible), 2,799 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,590
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.