Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
I try to go on a couple group charters a year fishing out of Mass or Connecticut for Cod or whatever else may be biting. I'm tired of using the typical rental equipment and would like to buy a decent setup for myself, preferably around the 300.00 mark or under generally i prefer spincast to bait but i am not opposed to either, maybe even a 2 speed reel open to suggestions

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
GB2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you like spinners, the Daiwa BG is an excellent choice. They run on the big size, for their displayed capacity (Eg, BG3000 is like a Penn Battle 4000). As for rods, A Penn Battalion is great, or the Prevail II, a little cheaper. If it is group charters, and dropping baits tough, the rod is less of an issue vs a surf one, or one specific for lures. Get a MH one of your preferred length (I assume 6-7ft if on a boat) and the action you prefer, brand doesn't matter as much. I have an UglyStik and fancier Daiwas, Shimanos and Penn's, fish can't tell the brand as far as I know.

Good luck.

I
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I
Thank you

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Irving I've never went on charters out of Mass or CT But I've sailed out of Orient Pt. LI . The charter Captains there probably would allow you to use any tackle but they prefer to use the tackle they prefer.

Charter boats generally have good equipment
" Head Boat" , " party boat" not so much

I've fished for cod at Cox's ledge we used Penn senator 4/0 spooled with #40 and#50 lb pink Ande ,rods were pretty stout ,with a little tip action ,medium heavy I'd say . In the northeast Atlantic sometimes the lead sinkers get up to 20 oz depending so you need beefy rods & reels if you asked me

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Gonna be hard to find a suitable 2 speed conventional with the budget unless you go used.

Maybe a single speed with high gear range would be nice.

Penn Fathom Star 25N and Penn Carnage 2 jigging rod will be nice and light with plenty of power for blues/blacks/cods/schoolie albies.

Maybe load it with spectra for backing but will require proficiency in joining mono/floro to spectra.

IC B2

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Irving_D
...for Cod...would like to buy a decent setup...around the 300...

Forget spinning. If you want quality look for used Shimano Trinidad or Talica.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by WDEA
Gonna be hard to find a suitable 2 speed conventional with the budget unless you go used.

Maybe a single speed with high gear range would be nice.

Penn Fathom Star 25N and Penn Carnage 2 jigging rod will be nice and light with plenty of power for blues/blacks/cods/schoolie albies.

Maybe load it with spectra for backing but will require proficiency in joining mono/floro to spectra.

I have a Fathom 15 and 25N; each are two speeds. These are probably my two favorite reels to fish offshore with. I am planning to pick up a 30 soon as well.

I bought my 25NLD2 on sale for about $215 or $225 if I remember correctly. Foregoing the Carnage rod and going with a Star Aerial (or similar class) which can be found easily for $100, you could get a solid, 2spd combo for right at or just over the OP's $300 mark. But you would have to look around and keep an eye out for sales. And with the Wu-Flu supply shortages going on, that is going to be difficult.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (257 mag, 160user, 35, 6mmbrfan, 10Glocks, 16 invisible), 1,747 guests, and 807 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,776
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023
<

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.