Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Moses
So the Iron Ridge is not bonded? Sewn?

The soles are sewn on. Looks like a Goodyear type welt.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
If I had to buy hunting boots I'd get Cabelas Iron Ridge boots.

I bought a pair of those last year (400gram) and liked them a lot. It's only one season use but so far so good. I may look for another pair on sale and get a back-up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bearcat74

I have 2 pair of Pronghorns. One pair has been rocked solid and just sprung a leak after 10yrs. The other newest pair leak if you walk across a damp yard. They are super comfortable but my new pair is not very waterproof.

I have Danner Elk Hunters and a couple other higher dollar Danners that are still waterproof.

The Elk Trackers look good but I’ve never used a pair.

Spray them with a silicone water proofer.

https://www.amazon.com/silicone-waterproofing-spray/s?k=silicone+waterproofing+spray

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Three pairs here depending upon my mood and the weather,

Cabela’s Meindl Ultralight Hunter 800g Thinsulate
Irish Setter Elk Tracker 1000g Thinsulate
Irish Setter Wingshooter Uninsulated

Almost always high boots because of the ticks. Always opt for the most insulation available in my deer hunting boots as it gets pretty cold on the West Mountain here in PA and the mountain in Sherburne, NY. All boots I wear are in Wide sizes.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Snyper

I have 2 pair of Pronghorns. One pair has been rocked solid and just sprung a leak after 10yrs. The other newest pair leak if you walk across a damp yard. They are super comfortable but my new pair is not very waterproof.

I have Danner Elk Hunters and a couple other higher dollar Danners that are still waterproof.

https://www.amazon.com/silicone-waterproofing-spray/s?k=silicone+waterproofing+spray

I use wax toilet rings with a paint stripper gun to heat it and drive it into the leather. No adverse effects on the leather, works great and is cheeeeeap.!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I suppose that silicone spray would not put a lot of silicone into the leather like the raw silicone oil. We had barrels of the raw silicone oil at work to lubricate the machine tools and some of the guys thought it would be great to water proof their boots. Too much of a good thing they found when they figured that if some was good, more was better. The thick boot leather even on Sorel boots turned into mush with no ankle support.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bought the Danner Powderhorns last year, very comfortable out of the box. I hiked around for a few miles in the hilly backwoods and they were great. They come in uninsulated, 400 gms and 1000 gms thinsulate:

https://www.danner.com/productfamily/powderhorn?sortId=product_family-asc

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Moses
Eye-ballin Danner Pronghorn 8" Gore-tex 800 gram Ins. and Irish Setter Elk Tracker 12" Gore-tex 600 gram Ins. $200-$240 range.

I believe that's what mine are, Danner Pronghorn 8". For me the ankle diameter is too small. I had to set aside the heavy wool socks and wear thin cotton tube socks instead because with the wool socks I was cutting off circulation. My feet were warmer with mere cotton socks and blood circulation than they were with thick wool socks and no circulation.

I like Danner a lot but I won't buy online, I will only buy them where I can go in with the socks I plan to wear with them and try them on in the store.

My preferred boots are a pair of Merrell Phaserbound .. little lower top but they fit well. I am limited in how steep I can climb in them though, I have substantial protruding heel bone knobs which wear against the near vertical back of those boots. Instead, if things are wet and I need waterproof, I've been wearing the Moab mid goretex boots. In dry condition I wear Moab ventilator low tops regardless of what I'm hunting in .. brush, rocks, etc. They fit over the backs of my heels well.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
At Bass Pro several of the boots I tried on were a whole size larger than my size and still tight. Length was getting too long. My worn out Whitetail extremes were a 9. Don't know the width. I ordered a 9 wide Iron Ridge 800 gram delivered to the store so I can try on. If it doesn't fit I can leave it there and order up.

M
Moses Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Tried them on to tight. But the 9.5 wides fit. Now to Sno Seal and break-in.

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Thanks

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I wore danner u.s. made nehalems for 15 years. I just switched to the Cabelas meindl’s which have been great. But basspro has ruined Cabelas so that is no more.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SuperCub

I use wax toilet rings with a paint stripper gun to heat it and drive it into the leather. No adverse effects on the leather, works great and is cheeeeeap.!

Same here, but I haven't used the heat gun. Strippers yes, but not the heat gun. That's a good idea.

Wax, even cheap crapper bowl rings do more for waterproofing a pair of boots than pretty much anything else I have tried. As long as there's no torn seams or blown out soles, wax does wonders to seemingly worn out boots.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
The Woody Max Muck boots are hard to beat. They are worth looking at even though they don't exactly match your criteria.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Same here, but I haven't used the heat gun. Strippers yes, but not the heat gun. That's a good idea.

Wax, even cheap crapper bowl rings do more for waterproofing a pair of boots than pretty much anything else I have tried. As long as there's no torn seams or blown out soles, wax does wonders to seemingly worn out boots.

I use the paint stripper gun to heat the wax to liquid and the leather to warm. Slop on the wax thick and use the gun to drive in the wax and repeat till it stops taking more. It's amazing how much wax some leather will soak up. It works very well. Have used it for years on work boots and hunting boots alike.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by T_Inman

I use the paint stripper gun to heat the wax to liquid and the leather to warm. Slop on the wax thick and use the gun to drive in the wax and repeat till it stops taking more. It's amazing how much wax some leather will soak up. It works very well. Have used it for years on work boots and hunting boots alike.

Supercub ,

Thanks for that tip , I'll head to the plumbing dept. soon .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Obenauf’s Heavy Duty LP and out in the summer sun for a couple hours here.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I used Danner Pronghorn snakeboots 90% of the time but when it gets in the 20s or below I use these (older version). They are very comfortable.

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ide-zip-hunting-boots-800-gram?a=2206126

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Dryshod Shredders.But I’m a flat-lander...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Muck arctic sport are the only boot that I have found that keep my feet warm even down to below zero and they are comfortable to walk in also. Toes got frostbite in Germany while on maneuvers. I love their chore boot for bow season too.

Last edited by MS9x56; 08/25/20.

Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
206 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 20 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,787
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.