Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
D
Does anyone use CCI 400 primers in an AR?

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sure I do. I've never had any issues with them. I don't run my loads super hot though:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With that being said, my preference is for the BR4 primer. They are slightly more consistent and help with accuracy:

Not a huge difference, but its there. I've been using CCI 400 primers for quite a while in the 223 and other cartridges that require a small rifle primer. I even use them in my 6WOA ar15, when I have to. Lately I've been experimenting with the CCI 41 primer and they work too, if you can find them. The 41 has a harder cup that is more intended for semi auto rifles, such as the AR15.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have when that was what was available, don't find them necessary.

mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
I have when that was what was available, don't find them necessary.

mike

In my area, CCI rifle primers like the standard 200,400, 450, 250 are the easiest to find. Generally they are always on the shelves at the LGS. Your statement is funny, as I don't find match grade primers "necessary" nor do I find the CCI41 primer "necessary", and those are the ones that you can't find. The reason to use the CCI400, for me, is because they are available and they work. It is likely the OP is asking about them because those are the only ones he can find in his location as well.. If you have a better primer that works well and is easier to find, why don't you cough up that info for the op. He may appreciate it, instead of the snide remark about the CCI400 not being "necessary". I always find it necessary to use a primer myself...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not about whether they work as far a target performance goes or not, it's about the mechanics of an AR's firing system.

Most AR's, after firing & when another round is chambered, will allow the FP, by inertia, to strike/touch the primer..................various specific guns will have this to a varying degree.

If you have a combination whereas your rifle's FP is prone to it, combined with a thinner, softer cup thickness, then you could have a combination that will generate slam fires.

Much has to do with the particular gun's setup & the velocity of the bolt as it slams into battery; obviously, harder is more likely to be a problem than slower, softer.

Here's a listing of various primers & cup thicknesses.........................for my part, I avoid Win, Federal, & CCI 400 & Rem 6 1/2's unless absolutely necessary to use them

JMHO, YMMV.

MM

Primer Cup Thickness

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
deleted

Mike

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 07/10/20. Reason: not worth my time!!

NRA Endowment Member

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Yep, BSA is still fairly new to AR's and probably missed to switch up when Winchester changed the color of their primers, it caused a lot of grief amongst the internet.

Shooting a carbine is likely more prone to cause a slam fire than a rifle but I use CCI 41's mostly because they are necessary. smile

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The chart does not include the 41s. Any idea on how they measure up?

Is hardness of the brass necessarily comparable between brands?

I've sourced the following lately and thinking along these lines. Will load for 556 AR, bolt 223, and bolt 300 BO subsonic and AR 300 BO . Any input is appreciated, well, almost any.... shocked

CCI 41, reserve for serious AR chit
CCI 450, 2nd pick for AR
Fed 205 M, not sure
Fed 200, use for bolt gun

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've used Fed 205M for years in AR's without issue but as I said, I use more 41's just because.

Never tried any 200's.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I normally use CCI-450s in ARs because they are recommended over the CCI-400s, but I've used many of the CCI-400s and get slightly better accuracy overall with the CCI-400s.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It's not about whether they work as far a target performance goes or not, it's about the mechanics of an AR's firing system.

Most AR's, after firing & when another round is chambered, will allow the FP, by inertia, to strike/touch the primer..................various specific guns will have this to a varying degree.

If you have a combination whereas your rifle's FP is prone to it, combined with a thinner, softer cup thickness, then you could have a combination that will generate slam fires.

Much has to do with the particular gun's setup & the velocity of the bolt as it slams into battery; obviously, harder is more likely to be a problem than slower, softer.

Here's a listing of various primers & cup thicknesses.........................for my part, I avoid Win, Federal, & CCI 400 & Rem 6 1/2's unless absolutely necessary to use them

JMHO, YMMV.

MM

Primer Cup Thickness

Thickness is only one variable. CCI cup material is harder then Winchester and Federal material.

As far as what I use, it's powder dependent.

400's work well with IMR4895, Benchmark, H322, and similar powers.

Ball powders get magnum primers. I've tested CCI450's vs 400's behind ball powders and the 450's/41's win hands down for group size.

With TAC I've found the S&B small rifle primers even beat the 450's, when you can get them. It's my understanding they are no longer imported, but with the current primer situation it could be nice if that changed.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/10/20.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

CCI-41's have the same cup thickness as 450's & BR4's; can't say about the relative hardness between brands, but I would suspect that it's very similar absent any other data.

There has also be a few reports on pierced primers in the newer WIn SR primers as well.

There's just no reason the use the thin primers in an AR, unless that's absolutely all that is available.

I use CCI-400's, Fed's & Win's w/o a 2nd thought in bolt guns.

MM

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

CCI-41's have the same cup thickness as 450's & BR4's; can't say about the relative hardness between brands, but I would suspect that it's very similar absent any other data.

There has also be a few reports on pierced primers in the newer WIn SR primers as well.

There's just no reason the use the thin primers in an AR, unless that's absolutely all that is available.

I use CCI-400's, Fed's & Win's w/o a 2nd thought in bolt guns.

MM

I have a couple of guns known for light primer strikes. Winchester primers take of any ignition problems. Even in bolt guns they will pierce long before a CCI primer. If you loads are a on the smokey side, generally Winchester and federal primers will pierce, where CCI primers will hold on until they blow.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

JMHO, YMMV.

MM

Primer Cup Thickness

Yeah that article was written 25yrs ago. Bill Clinton was President, top 3 songs in 1995 were 1-“Gangsta's Paradise" Coolio featuring L.V. 2- “Waterfalls" TLC 3- “Creep” TLC The WSR went through a redesign 10yrs ago and all bullet companies pretty much use it in there load data. But hey what do bullet companies know.

Last edited by 79S; 07/10/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh and of you are having slam fires you have a head space problem

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
or not seating the primers properly

NRA Endowment Member

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Que rost495

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Well, let me tell you everything I know for certain....

And I'll elaborate.....

laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

--- Kid Rock 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 11point, 12344mag, 48 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,961
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.