Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Terryk Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I planted some fruit trees this year. I never grew peaches, so I thought I would give them a try. Been really hot and dry, so I took back some water and noticed that japanese beetles are eating the new trees and new raspberry plants. I was thinking Seven in a pressure sprayer unless there is a better method. So what should I use on 7 foot newly planted peach trees (and a few cherry trees).

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Liquid 7 is the ticket in a pump sprayer.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Diatomaceous Earth in a duster is an organic option

Buy once, cry once.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Short term solution - spray with Sevin (or dust) or malathion (not so good for edibles)

Here is the LONG TERM solution to your japanese beetle problem. JB lay eggs in your lawn, those hatch late Spring (called "June Bugs" for a reason) and eat everything in sight.

Apply Miky Spoor to your lawn.

I had a BAD infestation about 20 years ago and applied this product and have not seen them since! Bio friendly, harmless to other animal and plant life. Very, very effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Milky-Spore-...ilky+spoor&qid=1594397606&sr=8-5

Milky spore
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Paenibacillus popilliae (formerly Bacillus popilliae) is a soil-dwelling, Gram-positive, rod-shaped bacterium. It is responsible for a disease (commonly called milky spore) of the white grubs of Japanese beetles.

The adult Japanese beetles pupate in July (in the Northeast United States) and feed on flowers and leaves of shrubs and garden plants. During this adult stage, the beetles also mate and the females lay eggs in the soil in late July to early August. The eggs hatch soon afterwards and in this larval or grub stage, they feed on the roots of grass and other plants. As the weather gets cooler and winter approaches, the grubs go deeper into the soil, and feeding declines as they over-winter.

In August, when the grubs are close to the surface and feeding, they are vulnerable to infestation by milky spore. This is also the optimal time frame for turf inoculation or applications with milky spore to increase milky spore in the soil environment (there are product specific guidelines that should be followed for milky spore application).

Resident spores in the soil are swallowed by grubs during their normal pattern of feeding on roots. This ingestion of the spore by the host activates reproduction of the bacteria inside the grub. Within 7–21 days the grub will eventually die and as the grub decomposes, billions of new spores are released into the soil.

Milky spore in the soil is not harmful to beneficial insects, birds, bees, pets, or people; and milky spore, like other bacteria, is highly survivable in drought conditions but suffers in temperatures of Zone 5 and colder.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Imidan. It's far more effective than Sevin or many of the garden store insecticides. It'll last about 3 weeks instead of having to be reapplied every few days. It's what many commercial orchards use. Usually it comes as a wettable powder.
Normally it's sold in 5lb bags but with a little searching, you can find it in 1lb bags. You won't find it in a garden store but you might find it in a local farm store. Check Ebay. That's where I got mine.
2 tbsp/gal in a sprayer does the trick.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Haha

They’re eating fouck out of everything here.

Mother Nature’s a dick.

My peach trees are just for shade now.

Have to dust my beans and okra after every couple of rain showers. I’ve got beetles banging other beetles ‘ridin doggystyle’ while the other one is trying munch leaves. What the hell

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I spray with Sevin. I don't have peach trees, but have used it on them in the past. I have a dozen apple trees that I spray with Sevin, if not the codling moths and Jap beetles would eat everything

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 13 invisible), 1,145 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,237
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.