Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
All:

I am being totally honest when I say that I haven’t looked at the selling prices of 99s for many, many months. Holy smokes! Either the sellers are totally on some primo dope and too proud of them OR the realized values for them have skyrocketed by about 30 to 50% or more.

What is it? I understand there are nuances for details but looking to hear about the overall market.

I have only bought from people I know for the last year or so. And the ones I want are sitting in collections with me waiting for a call.

Take care,
Jeff

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are going for some crazy money these days. Drilled with butt pads are going for 800. Crazy.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The really good ones are getting harder to find.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The one thing that I have noticed is that high condition post mil rifles have gone through the roof in the past 2 years or so. Much more desirable than they were 5-10 years ago. I've even added a few to my stable as well. Something I would have considered unthinkable 10 years ago.

Pre mil high condition rifles are holding steady, but haven't made the same jump.

I think the market on common stuff in general has depressed in the last year.

I see people asking 1300 for 50's 300 EG's, because they see the crazy money people paying for 1967 pressed checkered 308 F's

Don't confuse asking prices for market value....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 99guy
The one thing that I have noticed is that high condition post mil rifles have gone through the roof in the past 2 years or so. Much more desirable than they were 5-10 years ago.

You can thank Tommyguns for that!

LOL
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Originally Posted by 99guy
The one thing that I have noticed is that high condition post mil rifles have gone through the roof in the past 2 years or so. Much more desirable than they were 5-10 years ago.

You can thank Tommyguns for that!

I just signed on to mention that. He has done more for the 99 market in the past 2 years than any single person in history.

Where he found all those guns is a mystery to me....

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Somebody hoardin' da Savages.

Last edited by Fireball2; 07/09/20.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Somebody hoardin' da Savages.

Yep. He says: "you can't believe what comes through the front door".

Apparently a tractor trailer load of minty post mil 99's drove through his front door.

There's more to the story that ain't being told.

Anyways, let's get back to the game....

~Admiral Yamamoto~

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Not just Savage lever guns. The prices on nice pre-WWII '03 Springfields is burgeoning also, and don't get me started on Garands. Nice antique falling block single shots continue to rise as well. Those genres have been capturing most of my attention of late, having added a small pile of them to my "hoard".

I got it in my head that I needed a K-22 S&W to replace one I let go of long ago (5 screw, 6" pinned barrel). I didn't want to spend $1000+ (the going rate for a minty one) but after only a couple days diligence I found one for $700 and asked myself "what's my time worth spending it in a stupid search for a gun", so I bought it. That attitude, plus the very real concern about future gun ownership in America if the election goes sideways in November, I think is what's driving gun buying a lot now- and buying drives pricing.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think it's gun show withdrawal.. guys are needing their gun fix and can't get to any gun shows.

Even the local Cabela's and others are very low on used guns.

So they're buying what they find.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have been talking guns with young guys lately. by young i mean 35-40 age group. i have noticed when i mention savage 99's their eyes light up more then any thing else. even black rifles. they seem to have as a group started remembering "grand dads" or some such. had a new pump put in my well and the well guy thought hard about a f 308 i have and wanted to trade. he didn't trade because of a new baby but he was really turned on by the 99.
seems a new generation is starting to get turned on by them.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Record gun transfers.

Tweet mor not doing well in the polls.

Bought a equity position in Ruger yesterday.

Firearms like Evan Slack the Idaho livestock market analysis......" higher higher higher!"

Last edited by Angus1895; 07/09/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does someone's tweets upset you?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Does someone's tweets upset you?

tweets always upset liberals!!!! JMHO! laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’m number 4578 inline for Oregon background check on a cheap rifle I finally got to a FFL recently. They say a week and half wait.
It is a little insane, the prices are high and the shelves are bare in a lot of places do to the craziness going on now, I don’t think it is going to change anytime soon.
Dealers can ask what they want and get it. These are not the good old days.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is surprising to me. I put my 1920's vintage 99A, 99B, 99C and 99D on here some time ago and no one was interested. All the gun shows have been cancelled so I haven't been able to take them to a gun show. Does this post mil thing mean I might be able to sell my early 99C in 308?

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Still thinking about this 300 G with a small chip at the toe for $800. [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] [Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by sqweeler; 07/10/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wyo1895
This is surprising to me. I put my 1920's vintage 99A, 99B, 99C and 99D on here some time ago and no one was interested. All the gun shows have been cancelled so I haven't been able to take them to a gun show. Does this post mil thing mean I might be able to sell my early 99C in 308?

Doesn't mean the guys here are buying everything up.. we're still a bunch of tightwads. grin But folks out there seem to be. How early is that 99C? Wouldn't happen to have the double diamond checkering?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rory, it doesn't have the double diamond checkering. The serial # is 11160xx, it has the lightweight barrel with the raised boss for the rear sight, excellent straight grained walnut stock and a steel buttplate. It looks like the higher quality F's and DL's that were produced at that time. It's a nice looking rifle as opposed to the 99C's that were made a few years later. It shows almost no bluing wear, some case fading and no marks on the wood. I want $800 plus shipping in a hard case which will probably be about $60-$80. Let me know if you want photos.
Squeeler. The front sight on the barrel of the 99G looks like the last style of lightweight barrel sight which was discontinued about 1925/1926. I would want to see the barrel address. The serial # is either 33xxxx (1931) or 38xxx (1938 or 39). Neither of which should have the light weight barrel. It could be the earliest medium weight barrel which had a similar sight but that sight was only on the rifles produced about 1926/27. But then with Savage never say never. See page 68 of my book for a photo showing the various early sights.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks, David. The double diamond 99C's look like they are under SN 109xxxx, and I've only seen 2. They were catalogued with double diamond the first year, but I think they were pressed checkering as soon as they went into full production.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,331 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.