Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i have a lot of reference books on the carbines' and have torn down a bunch of them for retailers to see how complete they are or mixture of parts so i am not unfamilar with them. I walked into cabella's gun room one day while they had a carbine on a rack, commenting how original it was. they were grading it before putting it on the shelf for sale. I told them it was not an original and they wouldn't believe me, totally overlooking that blue sky stamp on it.
that was when i really started watching what they put out for sale, as in their arrogence they mislabeled stuff and mispriced stuff.
I bought a second year production danish kraig for about 150bucks., not to mention other stuff.
like a s&w model 25 .45 colt in a presentation box for about 500bucks.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
back in the mid nineties, I bought an even dozen. They were a mix of Red Star and Izhmash refurbished. I think they were marked 1950 and 1952. Imported by some company in Harrisburg PA. $65 each. I kept them in their boxes and used just one of them. So so accuracy, nothing special, and did not really excite me.
When barack hussein got elected, I took all 12 to the Orlando Gun Show, and sold them them for $500 each. I could have sold another dozen easily.
I feel they are pretty much useless weapons, but to each his own.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

That's a ridiculous statement. They are very ruggedly designed and manufactured, extremely reliable, with lots of excellent practical features. The fact that they aren't target rifles doesn't detract from their value as weapons within the range that modern warfare tactics prioritizes for infantry riflemen, which is mostly within a couple hundred yards, and more typically much nearer.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember the days of the $68 SKS. Wasn't all that excited then. My opinion hasn't changed much.

In these times, a cheap dependable 7.62x39 launcher isn't a bad thing.

That said, if $650-750 is the water mark, I've got better places to put those dollars.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I put a Tech Sight on,ground off the recoil lug and added a butt extension for normal people arms. It's now GTG for the upcoming social revolution or zombie uprising, whichever comes first.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

That's a ridiculous statement. They are very ruggedly designed and manufactured, extremely reliable, with lots of excellent practical features. The fact that they aren't target rifles doesn't detract from their value as weapons within the range that modern warfare tactics prioritizes for infantry riflemen, which is mostly within a couple hundred yards, and more typically much nearer.

They can be much more accurate than the typical ammo available for them will allow. I got very good accuracy from a Chinese SKS by loading .311 diameter 150 grain spitzers over H322.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A fellow had an SKS out to our silhouette range, this was back in the mid-90's, and after the match we were taking turns plinking with it some. From an elbows on the bench rested position we had no problems hitting the 300 meter pigs with the issue open sights. Since those present were all silhouette shooters and very much into accuracy we were suitably impressed with the little thing. LOP was way too short, that was the only universal complaint.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you seen what beat up British No. 4s are selling for?

abusus non tollit usum
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

They can be much more accurate than the typical ammo available for them will allow. I got very good accuracy from a Chinese SKS by loading .311 diameter 150 grain spitzers over H322.

Sure, with fine tuning your ammo, they can be quite accurate.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by night_owl

No.

how much for one nowadays?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I feel they are pretty much useless weapons,

Like it or not, it's a battle rifle and an extremely good one. Nothing useless about that.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No.

Unmolested ones are hitting $800 here in Canada.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Valsdad

No.

Unmolested ones are hitting $800 here in Canada.

Wow. I used to have several like that, from various periods. I think I paid under a hundred for each. Years later, I sold them all at gun shows for between $350-$400.00 each. That was about ten years ago, I believe.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
back in the mid nineties, I bought an even dozen. They were a mix of Red Star and Izhmash refurbished. I think they were marked 1950 and 1952. Imported by some company in Harrisburg PA. $65 each. I kept them in their boxes and used just one of them. So so accuracy, nothing special, and did not really excite me.
When barack hussein got elected, I took all 12 to the Orlando Gun Show, and sold them them for $500 each. I could have sold another dozen easily.

Tell that to the dead american marines and soldiers from the korean war and vietnam war shot by an SKS.
Go back under your rock......

Last edited by renegade50; 07/10/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
That's a lot of money. I always thought they were ugly and never cared for the 7.62x39. I can see the appeal for a few hundred but for nearly $1,000 why would one chose an SKS over something in the AR family?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No love for the Mosin?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Theeck
That's a lot of money. I always thought they were ugly and never cared for the 7.62x39. I can see the appeal for a few hundred but for nearly $1,000 why would one chose an SKS over something in the AR family?

I think, at this point, it's become much more about the collectability (rarity, historical interest, condition, etc..) than the practical usefulness.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
No love for the Mosin?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I have what looks like a factory new Polish-made Mosin carbine with folding bayonet. I paid about a hundred dollars for it. That could serve someone very well for all their big game hunting needs in North America. It's about on par with a .308, ballistically, and has a nice trigger. Naturally, the bayonet would be removed to cut down on weight, if it were to fill that role.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Chinese SKS's are currently on "special" for $299.99 and $349.99 at PSA.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They come up on alantic firearms in various condition grades and prices every so often also.

Lots of em getting hawked at gunshows.
Lotta milsurp pistol deals on alantic also.

Showing up at gunshows.

Both marked up 150 to 300 bucks or more.

Get kinda a chuckle when ya casually look at one and dude starts chiming in about.
Blah blah blah rare
Blah blah blah hard to find
Blah blah blah i can drop 25 bucks off it.

And you can see the importer markings decsribed on various websites.

Just walk away from em acting like ya didnt hear a word said.

Fugging weasels.........

Last edited by renegade50; 07/10/20.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
701 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 74 invisible), 3,070 guests, and 1,416 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,679
Posts18,399,604
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.