G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by memtb

Quote: “If all my shots were at extended ranges then I would re-consider the Berger.”

The key word being “all”! memtb

Yeah, kinda like the "Sierra Stalk" Find the elk and start running away until you get to the range where they will not blow up. Then shoot!

If you guys would learn holdovers or learn to dial and realize you don't need to shoot big Weatherby type cartridges at things real fast, you'd be real surprised how bullets behave, like Berger's, BTs, Hornady HPBT, amidst many others. There's something to mid range MV and higher BC's I assure you. That should get the anti-Berger/anti-Creedmore crowd riled up.

But then you may not be able to buddy brag about your big guns any longer...grin...

Life is too short and rifles are way too many to worry about the performance of a Berger

Oh I don't worry I assure you as I actually use them as they were intended unlike most who are opining about them, par for today's 24HC experience.

Many ways to skin cats these days though most are stuck...

The LRX is a good compromise bullet yes., The LRABs I've seen were way soft....

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1 Greg!!
I’m a big Berger fan and their performance on game has been outstanding for me. I don’t purposely shoot shoulders as I prefer to destroy vitals which the Berger’s do a great job of.
I have started pin drilling the tips also.
For mono bullets the Hammer bullets are a great choice and what I use.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Outstanding sir! The hammers are.......Hammers! grin

Now if Berger made a 400 gr 375 bullet I would be all over that for steel in my 375 BAS. We keep waiting but nada.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
7 mm 168 vld
4 antelope 15 to 453 yards
10 deer out 50 to 435 yards all went less than 50 yards after being shot.
I have never had a problem with them

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
One question: Why? So many alternatives with excellent track records. Flame away.

IC B2

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PA_Bob
One question: Why? So many alternatives with excellent track records. Flame away.

One question: Why not? Every bullet design can have failures. I’ve personally had a few “premium” bullets do strange things. I like the performance of Berger’s on game and their accuracy in my rifles.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
In the applications I've put them to the Berger's have an excellent track record, deer and pigs falling down right now style.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by PA_Bob

Why try any bullet at all, Bob? They make factory loaded ammo with Core-Lokts and Powerpoints. Why not just shoot that stuff? It kills just fine. If you can hit with it. If there is no wind. If you are no more than a couple hundred yards away. If you shoot it in the ribs. And so it goes, Bob.

I started shooting Bergers because they were the first bullet that advertised high-BC. They turned my "300 yd" 30-06 into an actual 700 yd hunting rifle, and for BIG animals. Then I learned that 700 might as well be 1500 in a variable crosswind, and most of my scoped rifle shots (when I hunt open country and big burns and canyons) are in the 350-500 range, and even a 30-06 isn't needed to kill BIG animals at those ranges. There are other options now, but they don't necessarily work "better" than the Bergers for me. As I stated above, I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range. This is just my experience, but it covers lots of seasons, lots of animals, lots of situations, and lots of success.

The real question is: Why would you try anything else? I know the answer. It is all over this thread. It is IGNORANCE.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range.

You are gonna blow Field and Stream reading, corn feeding minds with this kinda stuff....

- Greg

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've never had a 30 cal 185 or 190 NOT exit. So they are accurate, carry their energy extremely well, buck the wind, fly flat, transfer their energy extremely well, and exit every time, at both extremely short and fairly long range.

You are gonna blow Field and Stream reading, corn feeding minds with this kinda stuff....

I have been told over and over again that they "blow up", and that they "never exit". I have never caught one. I did hit a deer behind the ribs and drove it up through the chest to exit inside the opposite shoulder. It clipped the very front of the shoulder. That was from 30 yds, and that one exited too. What am I doing wrong? Not enough ass shooting?

IC B3

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot

I have been told over and over again that they "blow up", and that they "never exit". I have never caught one. I did hit a deer behind the ribs and drove it up through the chest to exit inside the opposite shoulder. It clipped the very front of the shoulder. That was from 30 yds, and that one exited too. What am I doing wrong? Not enough ass shooting?

But but but the internet says they blow up and are no good!😁😁😁
I can’t remember ever not having an exit either. Even at long ranges but I tend to shoot the heaviest bullet I can for the caliber/twist.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The real question is: Why would you try anything else? I know the answer. It is all over this thread. It is IGNORANCE.

Easy there killer laugh
Just because one's taste differs from yours they are ignorant?

Brilliant deduction.

μολὼν λαβέ

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Easy there killer laugh
Just because one's taste differs from yours they are ignorant?

Brilliant deduction.

I did not deduce what you claim. I don't think you know what that word means, or how deduction works. I asked a question, and I provided the answer. You dragged my "taste" into it.

Brilliant retardation, there, Chief. Keep shooting a 30-378 with Barnes at elk in the valley, and schitting all over what you have never done, and can't imagine.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I sir, did not poop over anything on this thread. Look at my posts. I clearly said They are NOT for ME. I used them...I did not really like them.
And yes my Bee's all shout well under MOA and they bleed game just like your Bergers do, but with LRX's Partitions, Accubonds etc.
I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. Why does the aforementioned statement make me ignorant?
Cool your jets man we're just talking.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

No corn feeder or 90 grains of powder to kill a deer?

- Greg

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are referring to me Greg:
1. No Feeders in Wyoming
2. 110 grains of powder. laugh laugh But not always. My last one was 56 gr of H335 in my 444 Marlin.

μολὼν λαβέ

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If you are referring to me Greg:
1. No Feeders in Wyoming
2. 110 grains of powder. laugh laugh

You're a good sport Fotis ...grin...

I know no feeders in Wyoming.

- Greg

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Originally Posted by Reba

Has anyone used a Berger Hunting bullet?

How did it perform?
What animal was it?
What caliber was the bullet?
Any other thoughts?
l

Have not and will not. There are simply too many reports of what, to me, is unacceptable performance – including those from T_Inman and szihn in this thread.

While other bullets may not have B.C. values equal to the Berger bullets, I haven’t found the difference to be a problem inside 600 yards. What I have found is other bullets that perform well at a wide variety of impact velocities. By “well” I mean providing reliable but controlled and limited expansion and high weight retention. We’ve been using Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX bullets since they were introduced and no one in my hunt group has recovered one. Straight-down DRT results are common, running right around 50% with no animals going more than a few yards. Nosler AB have provided similar performance with no recoveries from antelope to elk. I’ve recovered a couple of North Fork SS bullets from elk but both smashed a lot of bone before coming to a stop. They are no longer available but the Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, Edge TLR and Terminal Ascent have similar construction (mono rear with bonded front core) with the addition of a polymer tip. I plan to use the Terminal Ascent for elk this fall.

The only cup-and-core bullets I use in my bolt rifles are the 90g BT and 95g SST in my .243 Win – and only for antelope. Can’t complain so far but antelope don’t provide much of a challenge to a bullet’s integrity.

In my 38 years of elk hunting I’ve had shot opportunities as close as 25 feet with my longest shot at 487 yards. My first elk was taken with a bullet (7mm RM/162g BTSP) chosen for its relatively high B.C. value. That turned out to be a rather poor choice. Weight retention was under 50% and the only bone hit was a near-side rib. The following year I switched to a lower B.C. Speer 160g Grand Slam and it took me twenty years to recover one. That one destroyed both shoulder joints of a 6x6 bull and still retained over 70% of its original weight. Over the years I’ve taken more elk with that combo than all other bullets combined – including my last elk, a 6x5 bull at 411 yards, 4 steps and down.

It is a truism that most bullets will work most of the time. It is also true that it sucks when they don’t. Pay attention to T_Inman and szihn and others with similar results when making your choice of bullet.

Good post!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I sir, did not poop over anything on this thread. Look at my posts. I clearly said They are NOT for ME. I used them...I did not really like them.
And yes my Bee's all shout well under MOA and they bleed game just like your Bergers do, but with LRX's Partitions, Accubonds etc.
I'm happy with my choice, you're happy with yours. Why does the aforementioned statement make me ignorant?
Cool your jets man we're just talking.

Details. How many animals have you shot with Berger bullets? Calibers? Ranges? I want to know how non-ignorant you are. If you tried them and didn't like them, I would like to know why.

It's all a value judgement. I don't care what bullets or guns or whatever you use. But I am keen to notice that that for many, this discussion becomes and ethical judgment, even though they have almost never tried the thing that they are condemning as ineffective or unethical. If you aren't one of those, good.

I do wonder why, though, that there are so many who have never done a thing, but want to get on a thread talking about that thing so they can condemn that thing.

I haven't used Bergers for about 4 years, I think. Lots of bullets that I have wanted to test, have been introduced recently, including other "target" bullets and other "hunting" bullets. What I have found is that they all work, if you understand their limitations. Some have more limitations than others. And that includes the vaunted and venerable "controlled-expansion premiums."

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 07/10/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will not go a by of all those internet reports of them blowing up and not penetrating yada yada yada. Maybe it's a fact maybe it's not I was not there to see it. I will tell you what I know from personal or personally witnessed experience.

Honestly I personally have used them 2 times. Both on antelope one at 277 yards 140 vld from my 264 Win Mag and one at 349 from my 300 rum. That was at 215 vld. Both did OK but way too much bullet destruction. Meaning hardly any bullet was left only shrapnel. Another one I saw was a 168 vld from a 7mm rum hit a big mule deer buck in the shoulder at 360 yards and failed to penetrate into the vitals.

Now. Did I get my antelope? Absolutely. Did my friend get his mulie? Absolutely, after another shot where it did work as promised. Would I use a berger on elk? No I would not. Now that said I digress to what I said before. Way too many guns for me for multiple loads. 95 percent of my guns use the ttsx or lrx. I try to keep my components as few as possible I get great accuracy and I can shoot mice to moose. Nosler accubond and partitions work quite nicely as well.
Again I never said they are crap. I said they are not for me.

μολὼν λαβέ

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

638 members (01Foreman400, 10ring1, 160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 3,003 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,259
Posts18,467,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.