Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've got a Savage 340 in 30-30 that I'm working up as a Yute rifle for #1 granddaughter.

Somebody somewhere mentioned using hollow-point boat-tail bullets. I've not been able to find actual working recipes.

Q: Have any of you actually used HPBT's in a 30-30 bolt gun? What bullet did you use? How did it work?

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My friends son uses a T/C Encore carbine in 30-30 and they load up 125gr. Sierra Pro Hunters. I’ll ask him specifics about the load and performance, but it seems like the perfect little tree-stand gun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used them in the form of the old Sierra MK for punching paper, but never shot a bambi with one. The pointy bullet that has taken a number of deer from a 340 on our property is the Hornady 150 interlock. It put deer on the ground quite reliably. As for load data, I use 150 recipes for the 30 wcf and chrony the results.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If memory serves me right Pro Hunters are pretty good deer bullets. I've got some here for 8mm and 170 grain. At .30-30 velocities I would use something in 150 grains. That's just me. I wish I still had my .340. With a .340 you can shoot any shape bullet you want safely. Of course, in my .30-30 94 AE I shoot the 160 Grain Hornady Flex Tips which are safe in a tubular mag.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by trplem
I've used them in the form of the old Sierra MK for punching paper, but never shot a bambi with one. The pointy bullet that has taken a number of deer from a 340 on our property is the Hornady 150 interlock. It put deer on the ground quite reliably. As for load data, I use 150 recipes for the 30 wcf and chrony the results.

Sierra MK and Prohunters are two different bullets. I don't think I'd try to kill a deer with a MK. I don't know what it would do but it's not designed to expand on game. It's designed for accuracy on paper. But I've never tried it. For all I know it may be the best deer bullet on the planet. But I just don't know that so personally, I wouldn't go there.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
My friends son uses a T/C Encore carbine in 30-30 and they load up 125gr. Sierra Pro Hunters. I’ll ask him specifics about the load and performance, but it seems like the perfect little tree-stand gun.

Not Sierra, or any HPBT, but a kid out of Little Rock has came to the family camp over in Arkansas with a Contender rifle in 30-30, he has shot a couple deer over the years with the 125gr Nosler ballistic tip, I recall no problems, just seeing dead deer with exits.

Trump Won!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by shaman
I've got a Savage 340 in 30-30 that I'm working up as a Yute rifle for #1 granddaughter.

Somebody somewhere mentioned using hollow-point boat-tail bullets. I've not been able to find actual working recipes.

Q: Have any of you actually used HPBT's in a 30-30 bolt gun? What bullet did you use? How did it work?

One more point. In my limited experience I've garnered that HPBTs are for longer distances. No .30-30 I've shot was a long range affair. Even with Hornady Flex Tips it's still a sub 300 yard gun, well at least mine is. I would think a good accurate flat base bullet would serve you better, in whatever weight. JMHO.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/11/20.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Filaman has the simple solution, if you simply must have a pointy slug, and they're available in factory loads. I don't really see the need for them in most cases, and especially for a kid whom I imagine will be encouraged to take sure shots at moderate range. Pick a bullet designed to expand properly at the .30WCF's modest speed, and not any match bullets that might not. I've killed some deer with the Sierra 165gr Gameking HP, which is pretty explosive, but in .30/06 and maybe .308.

If I were gonna be tricky with a .30/30, I'd try some of the 150gr Speer Gold Dot bullets designed for the .300 BO. They should expand at lower velocity, allowing you to reduce the powder charge a bit if the girl is recoil-sensitive, and the 6.5s I'm using in my Grendel are pretty dang accurate. Reviewers on MidwayUSA say a lot of good things about the .308 too.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wouldn't even bother, but if I just had to, it would be 125gr Nosler, either BT or Accubond.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Personally I would just stick with .30-30-specific bullets and be done with it. All the makers have put a lot of work into them over the decades to make them as efficient as possible. Lots of competition in that corner of the market and nobody could afford to make a lousy bullet. Within acceptable .30-30 distances there's really no need for streamlined bullets. But, that's just me.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Personally I would just stick with .30-30-specific bullets and be done with it. All the makers have put a lot of work into them over the decades to make them as efficient as possible. Lots of competition in that corner of the market and nobody could afford to make a lousy bullet. Within acceptable .30-30 distances there's really no need for streamlined bullets. But, that's just me.

Nope. Its not just you...

+1

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L

I agree also. At one time I had a Remington 788 in .30-30 that I thought would be a good youth gun, so I loaded some 125 BTs for it. Turned out that to fit the magazine the bullets had to be seated so deep that the ogive of the bullet was below the end of the case. The stock was too long for the kids anyway and the kid almost lost the mag the first day. Mags for a 788 in .30-30 were hard to find and costly. Now my kid rifle .30-30 is a Contender and shoots 125 Its really well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe

Nope. Its not just you...

+1

The 150 Corelokt has bang flopped an awful lot of deer.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I am with if its not broke don`t fix it crowd .I doubt that much improvement can be made over the standard 30-30 bullet.

I do shoot some different bullets for paper but for hunting stay with the tried and true.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Pappy348

If I were gonna be tricky with a .30/30, I'd try some of the 150gr Speer Gold Dot bullets designed for the .300 BO. They should expand at lower velocity, allowing you to reduce the powder charge a bit if the girl is recoil-sensitive, and the 6.5s I'm using in my Grendel are pretty dang accurate. Reviewers on MidwayUSA say a lot of good things about the .308 too.

I've taken exactly one deer with a 30-30 in a 14" Contender, using a 150gr Nosler Solid Base HP. I think they may have been a test run or a screw-up at the factory. My LGS had them for cheap a few years ago, and he said he was nearly gifted them by the Nosler rep.

Last fall I picked up the bullets that Pappy mentioned here. I've had very good experiences with Speer Gold Dots so far, and got both the standard 150 gr version and the Blackout version. Haven't tested them to see how much I can get them to expand at velocities between a Blackout carbine and a 30-30 carbine. I think this is a good choice for what you're after, Shaman.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Using Sierra 150 FBSP in my Contender since day one. Bangs and flops. Caution with long bullets...SAAMI spec twist for the .30-30 is 1:12 and that is not a friend of “long”. Basically I agree with gnoahhh.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Why not just shoot factory ammo?

Your granddaughter probably doesn't possess the shooting skills that are desirable for long range hunting, so a little more velocity and a higher BC isn't likely to add much practical value to the equation. If you feel a pressing need to shoot pointed bullets, you could always shoot Hornady's 140 or 160 grain LeverEvolution factory loads.

If you have a Savage 340, I highly recommend the B-Square side-mount, as it is hands down the best scope mount for that series of rifles that I've seen. CDNN is selling them for $15, up from $10 not too long ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another vote for just using bullets designed for the 30-30, either factory or handloads. The old 30-30 is about the only cartridge that has bullets designed just for it, and not as a compromise to work in a myriad of cartridges..And 30-30 bullets just work. And with a new young hunter, the last thing you want is an "issue" caused by poor terminal bullet performance.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
This thread makes me wish I had an 1885 low wall in 30-30.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
This thread makes me wish I had an 1885 low wall in 30-30.....

I've thought for a time that a nice handy double in 30-30 or 30-40 would be a HELL of a lot of fun.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,329 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,093
Posts18,464,084
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.