-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You mention " weak ejection", is it discharging the brass from the gun or is it dropping it back into the loading port? If so, that is a different problem altogether and a result of a poorly done conversion

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
GB1

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
The pic of the bastardized SAKO extractor cut in the bolt nose was improperly machined.

The SAKO extractor pivot should be a counter bore NOT a through hole to witness the firing pin.

With the improper install you will be hard pressed to acquire proper ejection w/ a spring & ejector change.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Dans40X

The SAKO extractor pivot should be a counter bore NOT a through hole to witness the firing pin.

Wouldn't that also be a potential safety issue? Any gas leakage normally is directed into the left side action vent hole. There is no action vent hole on the right, so gas could be directed out through the right side lug raceway from this new hole in the bolt.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
All noted. I have a spring on the way and will see if that helps. If not am I at a new bolt?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
OP,
No,you aren't at a total lose...yet.

A.003"-.004" press fit pin into the through hole for the bastardized SAKO extractor job.

Have a competent 'smith machine the bolt nose for a pinned mini or M16 style extractor.

The 3 rings of steel feature by design is null & void unless you install a bolt w/ the OEM Remington style extractor.

Keep'em in the X ring,
Dan

www.accu-tig.com
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Not to discount anyone else’s experience or knowledge, Tikka uses a through hole, right to the pin. Your ejection issue is likely related to ejector spring pressure and forward positioning of the extractor.

Originally Posted by jackmountain
I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Shooter71
Not to discount anyone else’s experience or knowledge, Tikka uses a through hole, right to the pin. Your ejection issue is likely related to ejector spring pressure and forward positioning of the extractor.

How do they vent the gases from that side of the action in the event of leakage into the bolt? The exposed locking lug raceway otherwise points back towards the shooter's face/head.

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Following this thread with interest.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You think it’s set to far forward?

Hell...Reloading/Shooting are still my favorite things to do,besides play in the box the kids came in.................
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 117LBS

It’s hard to say what it’s doing without having it in hand, but the farther forward the extractor is the less angular work the ejector can do on the case head. I’d just try a new spring and see, but you can also alter the notch on the ejector to get a little more throw out of it.

I’m not an organ donor. I don’t believe in an afterlife, but I’d rather cover my bases in case there is and I need everything. You just never know.
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

How do they vent the gases from that side of the action in the event of leakage into the bolt? The exposed locking lug raceway otherwise points back towards the shooter's face/head.

There’s a vent hole about 90 degrees from the extractor. On a Tikka the extractor rotates slightly past the lug abutment.

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 117LBS

It’s hard to say what it’s doing without having it in hand, but the farther forward the extractor is the less angular work the ejector can do on the case head. I’d just try a new spring and see, but you can also alter the notch on the ejector to get a little more throw out of it.

I tried to illustrate the relationship between the extractor location and the amount of ejector travel in the original post to see if I could get this answered. Thanks for the tip on modifying the plunger, I hadn't considered that. My hope was that if the extractor was too far forward there might be a different part(extractor) available that was shorter.

Last edited by 117LBS; 07/12/20.

117LBS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I installed a new spring and modified the ejector to give a little more travel and it seems to have helped. The brass is now being thrown fairly well as opposed to just barely falling out and dropping directly below the rifle. It still has trouble ejecting a loaded round but I understand that is normal? Wouldn't mind the extractor living a little closer to the bolt face but I likely live with it as is.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

597 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 22250rem, 1_deuce, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,284
Posts18,448,683
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.