Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A California "pink slip" was a title for a car that was paid for. One with a lien on it was printed on a white piece of paper, and the car couldn't be sold without the lienholder releasing interest in the car. Having a Pink Slip meant the car was paid for.

The "Deuce Coupe" all the hotrodders wanted was the 3-window with the suicide doors. There was also a 5-window model like the one in the picture above.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
BP-B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Got a 32 Ford... A tank full of gas...A mouth full of puussy and a hand full of azz...And I'm movin on...

Made me bust a gut, Grizz !!

And I’m moving on .

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Flathead" Ford engines had the valves in the block, not the cylinder heads. "Relieving" the surface of the block between the valves and the edge of the cylinder by grinding away a little metal increased gas flow. So did "porting and polishing"- - - -grinding the intake and exhaust ports bigger and polishing the surface of the cast iron to make it slicker and reduce turbulence. I did all of that to my first car, a 1947 Mercury convertible with a bored and stroked and ported and relieved flathead V8 engine with tubular steel headers and Offenhauser finned aluminum cylinder heads.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
"Flathead" Ford engines had the valves in the block, not the cylinder heads. "Relieving" the surface of the block between the valves and the edge of the cylinder by grinding away a little metal increased gas flow. So did "porting and polishing"- - - -grinding the intake and exhaust ports bigger and polishing the surface of the cast iron to make it slicker and reduce turbulence. I did all of that to my first car, a 1947 Mercury convertible with a bored and stroked and ported and relieved flathead V8 engine with tubular steel headers and Offenhauser finned aluminum cylinder heads.

Sometimes complimented by milling the heads a few thou to increase compression.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by VernAK
I believe the "deuce" was a Model B.......IIRC 1931 was the last year of the Model A.

Yup

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It should be remembered that Big John Milner died on New Year's Eve in 1964 when he was hit by a drunk driver.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The "Model B" in 1932 was the 4 cylinder. That distinguished it from the "Ford V-8" which was the first 8 cylinder car produced that ordinary citizens instead of the filthy rich might be able to afford.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
Got a 32 Ford... A tank full of gas...A mouth full of puussy and a hand full of azz...And I'm movin on...

A most excellent way to travel!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
"Flathead" Ford engines had the valves in the block, not the cylinder heads. "Relieving" the surface of the block between the valves and the edge of the cylinder by grinding away a little metal increased gas flow. So did "porting and polishing"- - - -grinding the intake and exhaust ports bigger and polishing the surface of the cast iron to make it slicker and reduce turbulence.

Yes, the flathead (side valve) V8 breathed very poorly in stock form, so the intake and exhaust ports would be opened up and the path smoothed by judicious removal of metal, and polishing to assist the air to flow with less turbulence - a "port and polish". The top of the block would be milled to remove metal between where the valves emerged and the cylinder, again to give more space and a smoother path for intake and exhaust - "relieving". Typically the heads would be modded or replaced too, to give more compression and better airflow, and that might include relieving above the valves as well as the relieving to the block. Bigger carbs, cam, headers and big pipes (such as lake pipes - named after the salt lakes) also helped breathing. Boring and stroking's already been covered. In a light car that could add up to something pretty quick - and 140 at the top end's pretty impressive.

Of course you could also bin the sidevalve, and put in a small block. A much more efficient design to start with, and with the same level of modification a much more powerful option.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Would the hot rodders of that period been stress relieving cranks and rods?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

he got it right.

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
It should be remembered that Big John Milner died on New Year's Eve in 1964 when he was hit by a drunk driver.

Yep, this topic brought the previous movie to my mind as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
Would the hot rodders of that period been stress relieving cranks and rods?
Don't know. Maybe some guys with knowledge of metallurgy who were big into competition and had the cash to "do it right" - but most of the guys I rodded with were big into creating stress with little concern for relief. We did use magnaflux to find problems/weaknesses.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Had a 1940 ford coupe on my lift at the school where I taught auto. Mike and George Borazon owned it. They put in a corvette engine and drive train. The kids got a big kick out of seeing something so different. Sadly Mike, who taught at that school, and George, a newscaster are both deceased.

Used to play that song to the students to explain that there was a great deal of terminology in the field of automotives and slang versions of same.

The other Beach Boys song that was great was Shut Down.

Tach it up, tach it up
Buddy going to shut you down

[Verse 1]
It happened on the strip where the road is wide
Two cool shorts standing side by side
Yeah, my fuel injected Stingray and a four-thirteen
Revving up our engines and it sounds real mean

(Verse 2)
Declining numbers at an even rate
(At the count of one we both accelerate
My Stingray is light the slicks are starting to spin
But the four-thirteen's really digging in
Got to be cool now, power shift - here we go

Superstock Dart is winding out in low
But my fuel injected Stingray's really starting to go
To get the traction I'm riding the clutch
My pressure plate's burning that machine's too much

(Verse 3)

Pedal's to the floor hear the dual quads drink
And now the four-thirteen's lead is starting to shrink
He's hot with ram induction but it's understood
I got a fuel injected engine sitting under my hood

Shut it off, shut it off buddy now I shut you down
repeat repeat

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Way-cool mechanical details aside, here’s Brian Wilson doing his thing.....

...a pity the guy has been so troubled in life.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
That’s back when you could understand the words and the singer wasn’t shrieking in pain.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by WAM
That’s back when you could understand the words and the singer wasn’t shrieking in pain.

Amen!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
easier to beat the driver than the car. people who could get these to hook up and go straight were the winners. flex frames and not much suspension! don't forget the skinny tires!

If you're not having fun; you're not doing it right!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
"Purrs like a kitten till the lake pipes roar" Lake pipes are chromed exhaust pipes that run on the outside of the car next to the running board and are quite visible
The Deuce Coupe in the photo does not have lake pipes

Lake pipes had caps on the end of them to quiet them down, then they could be rotated open to "let her breathe".

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
118 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 18 invisible), 1,356 guests, and 694 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,588
Posts18,397,851
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.