Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#15029886 07/07/20
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I never paid these much attention as I thought they were S&W's bargain semiauto handgun.

I am now a certified firearms instructor (all persons wanting a firearms licence must take this course) and I need 8 firearms incapable of firing. I was shopping for a semiauto handgun on Gunnutz and found a S&W SD9VE for a very reasonable price. I also did think I would cry when I cut the firing pin (guns must function). It arrived in the mail today.

I must say I am impressed. For the money, it is a very nice handgun. From my recollection, there is not much difference from a M&P.

Anyways, I thought I would comment about this handgun. In Canada, $300 for a 9mm is a very low price. It will be a very could teaching aid example of a semiauto handgun.

Last edited by AB2506; 07/07/20.
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Young friend of mine just bought one, trigger is kind of gritty and mushy to my way of thinking, but otherwise it seems fine.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Other than a Glock 17 with after market trigger parts, no polymer handgun trigger has felt great.

C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I've got a couple of them, and my experience is that the trigger is better than when they were marketing the Sigma, and this is the improved version. Regardless of that, the ones that I've had and seen are as reliable as any gun on the market. I know several people with them as all they wanted was a functional gun. Demand has skyrocketed for guns in general and in the last several months they've gone up in price. CDNN is up to $349.99 with a limit of 3. That's supply and demand for you. Plus I think they point well and feel good in the hand.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Almost bought one in .40 went Mossberg instead.
$309 for the Mossberg Mc1sc $289 for the S&W. I just needed a pocket something and the mc1 does that better than the SD. Trigger on the SD was 6 lbs. But smooth.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
I am now a certified firearms instructor (all persons wanting a firearms licence must take this course) and I need 8 firearms incapable of firing.

Just curious as to the approach. Why disabled firearms instead of blue guns or similar?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
I am now a certified firearms instructor (all persons wanting a firearms licence must take this course) and I need 8 firearms incapable of firing.

Just curious as to the approach. Why disabled firearms instead of blue guns or similar?

There are two classes of licences. Non-restricted which is basically most rifles and shotguns. The feds have 6 action types. Bolt, break action, lever, pump, semiauto and muzzleloader. I need an example of each except the muzzleloader. After the eight hours of classroom instruction, the students write a 100 question exam which they have to score over 80. Then there is a practical exam where the student must demonstrate safe gun handling including loading and unloading. Minimum score of 80. So I need functioning guns that cannot fire. I need ammo that is inert. Restricted is handguns. If they take this class within 7 days of the non-restricted, they only need 4 hours if classroom before a 100 question exam and practical test. Six hours of instruction if this class is taken more than a week after the non-restricted. They must score 80 on both written and practical. For this, I need an example of a semiauto, a double action revolver and a single action revolver. Students practice with handling the guns during breaks, lunch etc.

So short answer is, they have to load and unload the firearm. To avoid negligent discharges, both firearms and ammo must be inert.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG

There are two classes of licences. Non-restricted which is basically most rifles and shotguns. The feds have 6 action types. Bolt, break action, lever, pump, semiauto and muzzleloader. I need an example of each except the muzzleloader. After the eight hours of classroom instruction, the students write a 100 question exam which they have to score over 80. Then there is a practical exam where the student must demonstrate safe gun handling including loading and unloading. Minimum score of 80. So I need functioning guns that cannot fire. I need ammo that is inert. Restricted is handguns. If they take this class within 7 days of the non-restricted, they only need 4 hours if classroom before a 100 question exam and practical test. Six hours of instruction if this class is taken more than a week after the non-restricted. They must score 80 on both written and practical. For this, I need an example of a semiauto, a double action revolver and a single action revolver. Students practice with handling the guns during breaks, lunch etc.

So short answer is, they have to load and unload the firearm. To avoid negligent discharges, both firearms and ammo must be inert.

Thanks. I'd consider cerakoting the slides or something similar to further distinguish the disabled pistols. A somewhat unique color that didn't ruin resale if I wanted to go that route.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you allowed to replace the firing pins after you are done with the testing?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael
Are you allowed to replace the firing pins after you are done with the testing?

Where possible, I'm considering buying a second firing pin to have on hand to make the guns capable of firing again. Their designation/status is not changed with the Canadian Firearms Centre, so I don't see why not.

I picked up a 4" Taurus 38 Special for $150 plus shipping. I'm pretty sure I could care less if I ever am able to fire it again.

I missed out on a no name brand of 22LR single action for $150. However, a Ruger Wrangler for $280 isn't bad. Of course I found a used one for less a day after I bought the new one.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely one of the worst handguns I've ever owned.

AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Absolutely one of the worst handguns I've ever owned.

Like I said, I don't think I'll cry cutting the firing pin.

My post was mainly that I expected it to be much worse than it is.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (260Remguy, 44automag, 338reddog, 4xbear, 444Matt, 257robertsimp, 17 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,187
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.