Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Theeck: Indeed I have been here at the intersection of the Blacktail Valley and the Beaverhead Valley of Montana for 23+ years now and have only seen maybe 10 Pheasants!
Alas just 28 miles north of my home (and 1,000' lower in elevation) the Pheasants are rather "thick"!
My wife and I were returning from dinner and the gunshop in Ennis, Montana, this spring and I took the back road from Laurin, Montana to Beaverhead Rock (14 miles north of my home) and we counted 105 (one hundred and five) "Rooster" Pheasants on that 18 - 20 mile drive!
Sadly Hunting rights in that area are tough to attain - I only have ONE "in" for Pheasants in that area and plan on putting it to use this fall. I would like to shoot one more "brace" of Rooster Pheasants before I cross the great divide.
The reason (I think) that there are very few Pheasants in my immediate area is the elevation (5,400'), the amazing number of predators and not as many cattail and swampy areas near me.
I have been seeing Chukars near my home over the last 5 years (mild winters?) though.
I have had as many as 14 (fourteen) Hungarian Partridge in my yard at one time.
Nothing is more fun to see (and amusing!) than a Hungarian Partridge kicking the ass "acrobatically" of a Magpie!
And as others have mentioned, I enjoy the "sounds" of the various birds around my home - I did NOT know what the term "angry birds" was until I retired and moved to Montana. Many types of birds get in a noisy snit accompanied by rather enthusiastic "fighting" with others birds of their own breed and of other breeds.
I also collect feathers that are shed in my yard - I have also sent along about 20 (twenty) Owl pellets to the local science teachers for the science/biology classes to study and dissect and observe the tiny bones therein.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Birdy, what brand dog food is that?

Does the mocking bird eat anything you put out other than suet.

Birds here clean out a block of suet every day. Even whitewings.

I need an electric board mouse killer to knock down on the freaking sparrows.

My wife orders the suet from Lowes online for a dollar a square. Much cheaper than in a pet store.

Last edited by jaguartx; 07/10/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Magpie..........

sumbitches don't dare land in my yard

Magpies are the only none mammals who can recognize themselves in a mirror , a farmer noticed a female Magpie putting charcoal on her face.

Magpies are birds of the Corvidae family. The black and white Eurasian magpie is widely considered one of the most intelligent animals in the world and one of only a few non-mammal species able to recognize itself in a mirror test. Wikipedia

Last edited by persiandog; 07/10/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Morewood
Shot a birdie today. Which was nice for not playing for a year or so.

How did those golf balls taste? wink

Dunno. Had to spit on my balls and rub them vigorously to get the dirt and grass stains off. You know how it is.

All the ball washers were bagged and zip tied "for our safety" and I was out of beer.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Shot a birdie today. Which was nice for not playing for a year or so.

How did those golf balls taste? wink

Dunno. Had to spit on my balls and rub them vigorously to get the dirt and grass stains off. You know how it is.

All the ball washers were bagged and zip tied "for our safety" and I was out of beer.

Isn't that what the snack cart girl is for?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There were two rose breasted grosbeaks at the feeder

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
We have quite a few different birds around and about. I’m not very educated in distinguishing different bird species....they all look similar in Gumbo! 😉 memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

persiandog, My wife’s family had a “talking” Magpie” when she was a kid! Her Dad had split it’s tongue, and the bird had learned to say a few words! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jaguartx: You bring up an excellent point/topic.
What can I feed the birds that is healthy and yet cheaper than what I have to pay for "Songbird Seed" here in remote SW Montana?
I am surmising I spend about $15.00 to $20.00 per month year round for bird seed.
I get that much pleasure and more from the birds, but if I could cut that amount in half, I could buy a lot more ammunition every year.
What the birds "drop" on my lawn below my feeders the Deer and Raccoons clean up very well - no rotting seeds on the ground at all.
The VarmintWife has "Amazon Prime" maybe I will check there and see what they can deliver here - any suggestions are appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdy, what brand dog food is that?

Does the mocking bird eat anything you put out other than suet.

Birds here clean out a block of suet every day. Even whitewings.

I need an electric board mouse killer to knock down on the freaking sparrows.

My wife orders the suet from Lowes online for a dollar a square. Much cheaper than in a pet store.

Good idea on the suet, I have never tried to feed the mockingbird anything else but it will pick smaller bits out of the dog food and swallow them whole. I'll bet if I cut oranges in half and spikd em on a nail like they do for orioles both the mockingbirds and the whitewings would eat it.

Whitewings get at my suet block too but the mockingbird aggressively chases them off. Interestingly enough the male mockingbird (without the bum wing) is not as tame as she is and I dunno that he visits the suet.

Unlike mourning doves and inca doves whitewings also feed in trees and bushes and and cling to the suet cage while feeding, unlike other doves they will also take sorghum right off the seed head. They can do this because they have relatively soft and flexible feet, these same feet have limited their spread nothwards because their toes freeze off in prolonged cold.

Cooper's hawks have been present in the Hill Country outside the north of town forever, but over the last fifteen years or so urban-adapted Coopers have been spreading west from Florida, in the last few years breeding pairs have appeared in San Antonio. They ain't everywhere yet but I do expect them to eventually hammer these breeding whitewings which are an abundant prey base here.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We have a 4 acre lot in a fairly wooded rural development and have feeders out. While not seen all in one day here is a list of the birds seen/heard on or from our property:

1. Turkey
2. Turkey Vulture
3. Red-shouldered Hawk
4. Mourning Dove
5. Yellow-billed Cuckoo
6. Eastern Screech Owl (heard only but seen elsewhere)
7. Barred Owl (same)
8. Great Horned Owl (same)
9. Common Nighthwak
10. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
11. Red-headed Woodpecker
12. Red-bellied Woodpecker
13. Downy Woodpecker
14. Hairy Woodpecker
15. Northern Flicker
16. Pileated Woodpecker
17. Eastern Wood-Pewee
18. Eastern Phoebe
19. Great Crested Flycatcher
20. Red-eyed Vireo
21. Blue Jay
22. American Crow
23. Black-capped Chickadee
24. Tufted Titmouse
25. White-breasted Nuthatch
26. Brown Creeper
27. House Wren
28. Carolina Wren (which I hear singing right now)
29. Golden-crowned Kinglet
30. Eastern Bluebird
31. Swainson's Thrush
32. Wood Thrush
33. American Robin
34. European Starling
35. Cedar Waxwing
36. Tennessee Warbler
37. American Redstart
38. Northern Parula
39. Magnolia Warbler
40. Blackburnian Warbler
41. Chestnut-sided Warbler
42. Blackpoll Warbler
43. Yellow-rumped Warbler
44. Black-throated Green Warbler
45. Eastern Towhee
46. American Tree Sparrow
47. Chipping Sparrow
48. Field Sparrow (heard only so far but seen elsewhere)
49. White-throated Sparrow
50. White-crowned Sparrow
51. Dark-eyed Junco
52. Scarlet Tanager
53. Northern Cardinal
54. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
55. Indigo Bunting
56. Red-winged Blackbird
57. Common Grackle
58. Brown-headed Cowbird
59. Baltimore Oriole
60. House Finch
61. Purple Finch
62. American Goldfinch

Quite a few others seen within the 80 acre development. So far there are only 5 homes in the development which is nice.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow it’s a bird Paradise. Are you still coming in August ?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Jaguartx: You bring up an excellent point/topic.
What can I feed the birds that is healthy and yet cheaper than what I have to pay for "Songbird Seed" here in remote SW Montana?
I am surmising I spend about $15.00 to $20.00 per month year round for bird seed.
I get that much pleasure and more from the birds, but if I could cut that amount in half, I could buy a lot more ammunition every year.
What the birds "drop" on my lawn below my feeders the Deer and Raccoons clean up very well - no rotting seeds on the ground at all.
The VarmintWife has "Amazon Prime" maybe I will check there and see what they can deliver here - any suggestions are appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I just get cheap chicken scratch from the BiMart up the road. Usually around $10 a 50lb bag. Payback brand I believe. Seems most of the birds prefer the cracked corn and red millet and leave the wheat until everything else is gone.

I force my birds to look elsewhere for food on Thurs and Sunday. They will come through the yard to glean what they can out of the grass and stuff, but have to visit the neighbors' feeders or Ma Nature if they want to fill their crops.

Last edited by Valsdad; 07/11/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Whelenman, regrettably it is doubtful that I will make it. Some of our friends from Walla Walla, WA are planning to come for a visit then. I didn't know about until this past week.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
And yes we do have a birder's paradise here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKCHOPPER
I like red winged black birds, Robins make a nice tune also.

Yep. And mocking birds. It will be interesting to see how long until the hawk or owl gets the huns.

mocking birds that nest in my neighbor tree are back, going to get some netting for my chili pequin bushes or they eat them all.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

Yep, hen scratch here but of course mockingbirds, robins, jays, thrushes and such dont mess with that.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Jaguartx: Indeed the Robins I observe are all carnivores (they only eat worms!).
I am headed to the feed store now to buy some "chicken/hen scratch".
Thanks to you and to "Valsdad" also.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Theeck: Indeed I have been here at the intersection of the Blacktail Valley and the Beaverhead Valley of Montana for 23+ years now and have only seen maybe 10 Pheasants!
Alas just 28 miles north of my home (and 1,000' lower in elevation) the Pheasants are rather "thick"!
My wife and I were returning from dinner and the gunshop in Ennis, Montana, this spring and I took the back road from Laurin, Montana to Beaverhead Rock (14 miles north of my home) and we counted 105 (one hundred and five) "Rooster" Pheasants on that 18 - 20 mile drive!
Sadly Hunting rights in that area are tough to attain - I only have ONE "in" for Pheasants in that area and plan on putting it to use this fall. I would like to shoot one more "brace" of Rooster Pheasants before I cross the great divide.
The reason (I think) that there are very few Pheasants in my immediate area is the elevation (5,400'), the amazing number of predators and not as many cattail and swampy areas near me.
I have been seeing Chukars near my home over the last 5 years (mild winters?) though.
I have had as many as 14 (fourteen) Hungarian Partridge in my yard at one time.
Nothing is more fun to see (and amusing!) than a Hungarian Partridge kicking the ass "acrobatically" of a Magpie!
And as others have mentioned, I enjoy the "sounds" of the various birds around my home - I did NOT know what the term "angry birds" was until I retired and moved to Montana. Many types of birds get in a noisy snit accompanied by rather enthusiastic "fighting" with others birds of their own breed and of other breeds.
I also collect feathers that are shed in my yard - I have also sent along about 20 (twenty) Owl pellets to the local science teachers for the science/biology classes to study and dissect and observe the tiny bones therein.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

That's really cool. I'm jealous.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (14idaho, 6mmCreedmoor, Akpilot, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 13 invisible), 1,608 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,517
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.