Hop To
#14960356 06/11/20
J
Jericho Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Handled one of these today and cant remember the last time I saw one. Seller also had a 17HMR and a couple of 22LR with standard barrels. The 17HM2 had a heavy barrel and the price wasnt bad. Any input on this model and caliber?

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jericho: I own a pair of rimfire heavy barrel N.E.F. Rifles one in 17 HMR and the other in 17 Mach2.
Both are pleasingly accurate with the modest powered scopes I have on them (both scopes are 3x9 variables).
I enjoy both of these humble Rifles immensely and usually have one or the other behind the seat of my VarmintMobile when out and about whether Hunting or just travelling!
Over the past 6 years I have also had opportunity to mount scopes on two N.E.F. Handi-Rifles in caliber 17 HMR for friends and sighted both of them in.
Both shot very well in the limited shooting I did with them - my friends both still have these Rifles and keep them "handy" for small game, Varmints and Grouse.
I have owned my Rifles for 2 years and 5 years respectively and it is my understanding they are no longer made?
I do see them priced rather strongly of recent.
If the price pleases you I recommend you give it a try.
My happiness with these two N.E.F. rimfire Rifles led me to recently acquire another heavy barrel N.E.F. Rifle this time in centerfire - it is a 204 Ruger and again has a modest 3x9 variable scope on it. This Rifle shoots well for me and again is "handy" but the trigger is no where near as pleasing as the triggers on my rimfire N.E.F.'s.
Take a snap cap (or a fired 71 Mach2 case) with you when you look at it next and try the trigger - I bet you will be impressed.
Best of luck to you if you decide to try it.
Let me know.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have the heavy barreled 17Mach II and I love it. Super accurate and fun to shoot. I bought mine cause when I found this one I had never saw one in Mach 2 and I love the round with couple CZ’s and a ruger American in the Mach 2 also. I haven’t saw one in person since. I’m glad I bought it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd buy one in good shape if I found it.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Eight or nine years ago I found a pair of them in heavy barrel configuration sitting at the end of a shelf in a Vermont gun shop. They had $159.00 on them. I asked the sales guy what he could do if I took both of them. $90.00 apiece and I walked out the door with them. They have hands down been the most accurate rimfire I've ever shot.

I let my brother have one, he kept his in the fiber stock. I put mine in a brown laminate stock. The 17M2 is the finest rabbit and squirrel rifle I've used. When shortactionsmoker got the Rugers in I was going to buy one to have that caliber in a bolt rifle however after so many guys posting about not being happy with them I decided to hell with it. I've never not got a critter because of using the single shot.

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aboltfan: Your posting tempts me to put a REAL scope (16 to 20 power top end) on my N.E.F. 17 Mach2 and 17 HMR to see what they can do.
I am happy that you are so satisfied with your 17 Mach2.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan
Eight or nine years ago I found a pair of them in heavy barrel configuration sitting at the end of a shelf in a Vermont gun shop. They had $159.00 on them. I asked the sales guy what he could do if I took both of them. $90.00 apiece and I walked out the door with them. They have hands down been the most accurate rimfire I've ever shot.

I let my brother have one, he kept his in the fiber stock. I put mine in a brown laminate stock. The 17M2 is the finest rabbit and squirrel rifle I've used. When shortactionsmoker got the Rugers in I was going to buy one to have that caliber in a bolt rifle however after so many guys posting about not being happy with them I decided to hell with it. I've never not got a critter because of using the single shot.

That was a heck of a score. How are you connected to Massachusetts and Mississippi?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I grew up in Poplarville, Ms. Went in the army and was stationed in Mass. Married a yankee, got a job with the state of Mass. because there was no work back home. Retired from the Mass. job and moved back to Poplarville. Now have homes in both places and divide my time.

VG,

It's been my experience that H&R rifles can be surprisingly accurate, both rimfire and centerfire. I had the 17HMR and .22 mag. but sold them because I use my CZ452s in those two calibers. I still have the .22 LR that has a lightweight barrel. It will shoot 5 shot sub 3/4 groups at 50 yards. The 17M2 will group 5 shots in one hole. With either the .22 or 17M2 critters are in danger.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aboltfan
I grew up in Poplarville, Ms. Went in the army and was stationed in Mass. Married a yankee, got a job with the state of Mass. because there was no work back home. Retired from the Mass. job and moved back to Poplarville. Now have homes in both places and divide my time.

VG,

It's been my experience that H&R rifles can be surprisingly accurate, both rimfire and centerfire. I had the 17HMR and .22 mag. but sold them because I use my CZ452s in those two calibers. I still have the .22 LR that has a lightweight barrel. It will shoot 5 shot sub 3/4 groups at 50 yards. The 17M2 will group 5 shots in one hole. With either the .22 or 17M2 critters are in danger.

Your housing dollars can certainly get you more in Poplarville than in Mass huh? My acreage is over in Perkinston. Small southern towns just feel right to me.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aboltfan: I am taking the N.E.F. Sporster heavy barrel in 17 Mach2 out today in fact.
New shooter in tow.
Yes as I have relayed before here - all the rimfire N.E.F.'s I have had anything to do with have shot VERY well.
We will be after Ground Squirrels and maybe a Badger.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
VG,
How did your day out with the 17M2 go?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Aboltfan: What a day!
The VarmintWife and the oldest VarmintSon (in for the week from the west coast) headed out nice and early to get a chance at the early up, wet grass gathering Ground Squirrels!
During our day we ran just 50 rounds through the N.E.F. heavy barrel Sportster in 17 Mach2 but it performed very well indeed.
I let the VarmintSon do most of the shooting as his week was/is full of commitments with friends and stuff to do.
He alone shot 150 rounds out of our Ruger 77/17 HMR Varmint weight during the day along with some of the 17 Mach2 ammo.
I can't remember if I have mentioned this before but over the years I have killt 2 (two) Badgers with the 17 Mach2 cartridge (both one shot kills - and THAT is saying something). But alas no Badgers were seen during our day.
I am thinking it is time to "clean" the barrel on 17 Mach2 - not because of so many rounds down the barrel its just that the barrel has not been cleant in about 2 years.
Long live the 17 Mach2.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

476 members (222Sako, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 1,797 guests, and 1,034 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,179
Posts18,465,604
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.