Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
There are a number of posts on this forum referring to the crap Campfire members dumped on him. I was not familiar with that aspect. What was the deal there?

Know one of the contributing factors to his depression was a $2500 monthly rental on his CNC outfit. He was in a vicious cycle of being so depressed he couldn’t work, much less communicate with others. No work——->$2500 a month due before other expenses...it just put the hole he had dug for himself deeper and deeper each month.

What a crying shame.

$2500/month on CNC equipment - you’ve got to build a good many more than the 50 guns/year his website says to break even on that I would think

BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

photo
Robert Ballard Gradous
Hephzibah, GA—Robert Ballard Gradous, 58, husband of Kimberly Kurtz Gradous, entered into rest Monday, July 6, 2020.
Memorial services will be held Monday, July 13, 2020, at 2:00 PM at 3021 Old Waynesboro Rd, Hephzibah, GA.
Mr. Gradous, son of the late Carolyn Ann Gradous and Dr. Bruce Gradous, was self-employed which included farming, mechanic and gun machinists.
In addition to his wife and father, he is survived by his sons, Joseph Ballard Gradous, of Hephzibah, and Joshua Bruce Gradous (Amber), of Savannah; and his brother, Tim Gradous (Laura), of Hephzibah.
Chance & Hydrick Funeral Directors, 2502 Richmond Hill Road, Augusta, GA, 30906.
www.chanceandhydrick.com
Sign the guestbook at AugustaChronicle.com/obits
The Augusta Chronicle - 07/12/2020

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry to read this. He bedded a rifle for me about 8 years ago. Very nice to deal with.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spent a half a day with Robert 7 years ago when he built my rifle...

Felt like I was in the presence of a guy who knew what the hell he was doing...
Still have this rifle and probably always will.... RIP

CLICK:
gradous 308

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
sako.beautiful rifle.also to others i belive robert did a lot of work for others with fluting and other machining jobs.much more so his investment in his cnc equipment was most likely paying quite a bit for the cost for it..i regret now putting off the build i was going to have robert build for me..

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Robert is the one who taught me how to fit and chamber a barrel. He spent a day and a half with me and wouldn’t accept a dime for his time. A quirky guy for sure but a real genius.

RIP Robert

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Very, very sad. RIP. I have seen videos of his work. He was a real craftsman.

Depression is a real and deadly burden that can strike anyone, anytime.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
quirky..arent we all in our own way.god bless

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
This is Sad news, I only read about him on the Fire, may he Rest In Peace and God bless his family.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by rockdoc

Very true.

Too bad depression is such a dark illness, more than one way.

Dark for the victim, dark in that it's not spoken about enough, lingers in the shadows until it's too late.

And, then there's the lingering guilt and remorse of family and friends. "Why didn't we see this coming, what could be have done, etc. etc..." Blaming themselves for something they probably couldn't have prevented. Once someone makes up his or her mind, it's hard to intervene...

Closure is such cases is more often than not, really difficult...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Very true.

Dark for the victim, dark in that it's not spoken about enough, lingers in the shadows until it's too late.

And, then there's the lingering guilt and remorse of family and friends. "Why didn't we see this coming, what could be have done, etc. etc..." Blaming themselves for something they probably couldn't have prevented. Once someone makes up his or her mind, it's hard to intervene...

DF

So true. Not too long ago I was reading about this very topic (suicide/depression) in the campfire forum.
And based on the volume of ignorance shown in that thread, there's a lot more education and enlightenment that needs to happen around depression.

Sad deal. frown

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by SKane

Very true.

DF

So true. Not too long ago I was reading about this very topic (suicide/depression) in the campfire forum.
And based on the volume of ignorance shown in that thread, there's a lot more education and enlightenment that needs to happen around depression.

Sad deal. frown

I think it's more of a factor due to the old crusty, racist, ignorant, obese old men that live in the classified section but I also agree with you....grin...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Very true.

DF

Sad deal. frown

It tends to get real personal when you see it up close, when it involves family or friends.

This in not something to just brush off because it's uncomfortable.

It's real and all too prevalent.

You can't understand something you haven't experienced, haven't walked in their moccasins.

People tend to discount what they don't understand or find objectionable. This is one topic that refused to be swept under the rug...

DF

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D

Very true.

DF

Sad deal. frown

It tends to get real personal when you see it up close, when it involves family or friends.

You can't understand something you haven't experienced, haven't walked in their moccasins.

People tend to discount what they don't understand or find objectionable. This is one topic that refused to be swept under the rug...

DF

Absolutely spot on. I'm dealing with it now as my 15-year old son took his own life in late May. It was painful to read this about Robert as I had always respected his work. The pain and torment left in loved ones after a loved one decides this path is beyond comprehension. As stated in my other thread, you can't begin to really understand the "low" they're in as your mind isn't in the same place.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by devnull

Very true.

DF

Sad deal. frown

DF

Absolutely spot on. I'm dealing with it now as my 15-year old son took his own life in late May. It was painful to read this about Robert as I had always respected his work. The pain and torment left in loved ones after a loved one decides this path is beyond comprehension. As stated in my other thread, you can't begin to really understand the "low" they're in as your mind isn't in the same place.

I remember reading your post.

I could feel your anguish, but no way could I fully experience what you were and are going thru.

I feel for the Gradous family and friends. There's not much one can say, other than to just be there for them.

Sometimes it's awkward the way people interact with the family, making it uncomfortable for everyone.

I'm sure you experienced some of that, people trying to say the right thing when there really is no "right thing".

DF

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
as i stated previously on this thread.unless you have had clinical depression you cannot understand it.it cannot be described as to the feelings associated with it.mine started over 40 years ago.i suffered with a internal strain and mental anguish people can not even begin to try to comprehend.meds saved my life period.talking to a psychiatrist after suffering terribly for almost 2 years got me diagnosed thru testing.it is horrible on your family and friends and when i was diagnosed it was in 1985 it was not nearly as understood as it is today.the mind is so complex and as people know if you cant touch it or see it so hard to be understood.all i can say is i would of preferred to had a finger or toe broken daily and continuously every day over and over than have suffered with this horrible mental torture.again im assuming robert felt no real relief from any meds he i hope tried.this is so sad and if i wasnt living in missouri now and concerned with this covid-19 issue i would of flown east for his service.no one should ever think of this as cowardise..it is not at all.i pray he is at peace.god bless

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
devnull.truly from the bottom of my heart i am so sorry for the loss of your precious son.i can only hope the good memories will carry you and your family forward.always know and understand this is not caused in anyway by you and your loved ones.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by sloone
as i stated previously on this thread.unless you have had clinical depression you cannot understand it.it cannot be described as to the feelings associated with it.mine started over 40 years ago.i suffered with a internal strain and mental anguish people can not even begin to try to comprehend.meds saved my life period.talking to a psychiatrist after suffering terribly for almost 2 years got me diagnosed thru testing.it is horrible on your family and friends and when i was diagnosed it was in 1985 it was not nearly as understood as it is today.the mind is so complex and as people know if you cant touch it or see it so hard to be understood.all i can say is i would of preferred to had a finger or toe broken daily and continuously every day over and over than have suffered with this horrible mental torture.again im assuming robert felt no real relief from any meds he i hope tried.this is so sad and if i wasnt living in missouri now and concerned with this covid-19 issue i would of flown east for his service.no one should ever think of this as cowardise..it is not at all.i pray he is at peace.god bless

Thanks for sharing.

Hope that helps someone.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Devnull, my condolences and prayers for you and your family, as well as all of Robert's.

God Bless.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
746 members (10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 87 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,399,996
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.