Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe not quite a backpack tent but has anyone ever used the EZ cube canopy tent or the Ozark trail 10x12 wall tent? I am looking at both of them for less than a dozen times of year use. I am down in Louisiana so I don't experience lots of high winds and snow storms, so I am not worried about those elements a bunch. I have not looked at alot of other models either, I like the foot print and interior height that those 2 mentioned offer.

Dont eat the big white mint!
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sako:

You may have been wondering why no one has answered your post. I looked up both of those tents. They're not very good tents and therefore the people on this forum are not familiar with them. Why aren't they good tents? You may ask. They are cheaply built and they will be destoyed by the first strong wind. They are OK only if you are going to use them in your back yard when you can seek shelter in the house. Don't count on either of those tents to protect you when the weather turns bad. If you don't need a tent to protect you from bad weather then you don't need a tent.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
KC, don't be such a downer. He can always wrap up in the scraps after the wind shreds them...... To keep from having to run back in the house, ya know.....

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don:

You're right. I'll try to be more positive from now on.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KC

Don:

KC

Heh...you positively know what you're talking about.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Twenty years ago this summer I took my wife and kids on a cross country trip from GA through SD, Mt Rushmore, Yellowstone, and back through CO. We tent camped as much as possible and stayed in motels when it was more practical. We pulled into the Badlands NP in South Dakota and were setting up one of those cheaper tents just after dark. We could see a storm brewing to the west and just a minute or 2 before the rain started a strong gust of wind flattened the tent and broke several poles.

We threw everything in the Tahoe just before the rain hit. It rained sideways. The closest town was Wall and they had no rooms available. It was midnight by the time we got to Rapid City and ended up sleeping in the car in a Walmart parking lot. Saw Mt Rushmore the next day then headed toward Yellowstone. I managed to duct tape the poles together to finish the trip, but I've not used a cheap tent like that since.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by KC
Sako:

You may have been wondering why no one has answered your post. I looked up both of those tents. They're not very good tents and therefore the people on this forum are not familiar with them. Why aren't they good tents? You may ask. They are cheaply built and they will be destoyed by the first strong wind. They are OK only if you are going to use them in your back yard when you can seek shelter in the house. Don't count on either of those tents to protect you when the weather turns bad. If you don't need a tent to protect you from bad weather then you don't need a tent.

Well I generally pay very close attention to the forecast prior to making tent camping plans, if the weather is gonna be [bleep], I don't waste my time. I know that sounds very "city folkish" but if the weather is horrible, it makes for some crap tree stand sitting. Flat woods camping usually does not see the same weather conditions as plains or mountain areas. For the same money as some of them fancy canvas tents, I could score an enclosed cargo trailer and camp in it, high and dry regardless of the elements.

Dont eat the big white mint!
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Originally Posted by KC

Don:

KC

Heh...you positively know what you're talking about.

BTDT

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
KC, I am new to the forum, but I have read many of your post. What do you think of the Hilleberg Unna for a back pack tent ?

Last edited by Mark1960; 07/18/20.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mark1960
KC, I am new to the forum, but I have read many of your post. What do you think of the Hilleberg Unna for a back pack tent ?

Mark:

Hilleberg has a very good reputation for really good tents that are pricey. I have no personal experience with the Unna. I looked up the reviews;
Hilleberg Unna
It only has two poles. That's a design that I have experience with. It creates two flat walls and if the wind is coming from the wrong direction the tent will be pushed down onto your face. A Hilleberg tent will probably pop right back up after the wind stops blowing, but kind of irritating and will keep you awake, while it lasts. It's also a 1-man tent. I have slept in 1-man tents and there's not enough room for one guy and his gear. I prefer a 2-man tent because they are easier to get around in and easier to store my gear. The extra weight is worth it.

IC B3

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
KC, Thanks for the reply.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

627 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 56 invisible), 2,011 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,245
Posts18,448,023
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.