Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't think I've ever seen one.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Might be the rarest variation of catalogued 99 that was actually produced that there is. grin

The one fully confirmed one that I have info on is rough.

[Linked Image from decg5lu73tfmh.cloudfront.net]

Attached Images
1965_99C.jpg (13.32 KB, 363 downloads)

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That is butt ugly...................... grin grin grin grin grin grin At least your sock is clean.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not my picture or foot. grin

But yeah, that stock is so ugly I'd suspect a 99E stock was swapped onto it except for the serial number.

Last edited by Calhoun; 07/10/20.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
laugh laugh laugh

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
That is butt ugly...................... grin grin grin grin grin grin At least your sock is clean.

I laughed so hard at that I spit out my coffee, from this morning!

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep.

His most classic tweet was congratulations to the great state of Kansas for a super bowl winning team/ effort.

IMO

Attached Images
IMG_4752.JPG (29.53 KB, 335 downloads)
Last edited by Angus1895; 07/10/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
What has happened to the 99s is that people have discovered what a high quality rifle the 99 is.I have been in the gun business in one form or another for 45 years.The 99s have always been undervalued in my opinion.Younger hunters have just now begun to discover them.I recently tried to buy a 99F 308 on gunbroker.It was mint and built in 1958.I did not get it because it went for $1650.I believe they will continue to go up as the supply of good condition guns dries up.At the end of last deer season I put a photo of a deer and my 99EG on a local deer hunting site.I had over 30 responses,most asking where I got the cool rifle.Quality will always hold value.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The only problem is the youngsters think that an "old 40 year year old 99" is a good representative of what a 99 was. Little do they know that that the post-mils suck compared to the pre-mils, like post- and- pre 64 '70's. Trouble is there are a lot of guys old enough to retire now who were born when the post-mils were and hence the guns automatically are garnering "revered elder statesman" status now. We're doomed. grin grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Angus1895
Yep.

His most classic tweet was congratulations to the great state of Kansas for a super bowl winning team/ effort.

IMO

Still have a Hillary sticker on your Subaru?

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
during Savage`s last years of production of the Savage 99 as a dealer i could have ordered a 7mm-08 and that still haunts me. i did get lucky when one kind 99 guy sold me a 284 win which is a very great rifle too. i still wish Savage built that 99 rifle yet at least for a year or 2 ,i was told by Savage that if that Savage 99 was built again it would cost around $1500.00 to buy, i told Savage i want one.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a BLR Texan style stock in 7 08. Neal from PA got the trigger real sah weet!

Having the wood refinished. By an Amish furniture maker.We will see how it turns out.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Guess I bought my one and only 99G just in time.
Really nice shooting gun. Just like my dad’s, (and that is what I wanted) except for the Redfield aperture sight on his; I have a tang sight on mine.

My brother ended up with my Dad’s G and that is ok with me.

RAS Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the perspective guys. I appreciate it.

Glad I bought when I did. Starting off a decent collection today is a small fortune.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is an obscure, but strictly enforced law that mandates NO Savage 99, regardless of caliber, model, or condition can be sold for under $700. Sell one for $650, they'll toss your ass in jail.......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Oops, I sold two at a recent gun show, a 99E in 300 for $450 and an EG with a mismatched forend for $600. I guess the gestapo will be at my door any minute now.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After reading this thread, my last year’s deer should have been really happy to have been shot with a ‘57 pre-mil 99F .300 Savage.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since I got the NTA bug (Need To Acquire) several years ago for a Savage 99 and following 99 prices on GB and GI, I've noticed a jump in prices. Not drastic, but there, esp for the prewar and pre 1950 models it seems. Of course prices for M1 Garand's, 03 Springfield's, and other MILSURP firearms I collect/shoot and am interested in have also. (Colt Pythons and older S&W K and N frame hoglegs aren't immune either). At the last Gun Show I attended before the rest were cancelled last spring (mid March-due to Covid) there was a large consignment auction in a nearby building at the large complex I was at. A friend advised there was a bunch of firearms and accessories to be sold. A local collector was thinning his herd by a 'big' amount. Included in the vast array of about every kind of caliber, gauge, brand, and model of firearms were two Savage 99's. A EG in 250/3000 from around '47-48 and a early 50's R in 300 Savage. Both were in very good shape, with good bores, no after factory add-on's or drilling. The building was packed with not only items from A-Z and people, but there were a good number of gun buyers drooling and waiting for the sale of the firearms and all kinds of ammo, components, hunting gear, etc.

It was late morning and I talked with one of the auction helpers and he advised the firearms and related stuff was going to be some of the last sold, probably mid afternoon. I had a afternoon family function that I couldn't miss and knowing the history of the auctioneer of getting top dollar and even more than a item is worth at times, I left. I talked to a friend several days later and he advised that both Savage 99's sold in the $1500 range, didn't think they'd go that high, but not surprised. I've missed a couple of nice EG's in 250/3000 the last 3-4 months that I was watching on GI/GB that were in nice shape and sold for a decent price. One of those times when ya think "I should have paid more attention and placed a bid." The way it goes. 'NTA' a cut checkered version prior to 1950 of a EG in 250/3000.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Savage94C
Since I got the NTA bug (Need To Acquire) several years ago for a Savage 99 and following 99 prices on GB and GI, I've noticed a jump in prices. Not drastic, but there, esp for the prewar and pre 1950 models it seems. Of course prices for M1 Garand's, 03 Springfield's, and other MILSURP firearms I collect/shoot and am interested in have also. (Colt Pythons and older S&W K and N frame hoglegs aren't immune either). At the last Gun Show I attended before the rest were cancelled last spring (mid March-due to Covid) there was a large consignment auction in a nearby building at the large complex I was at. A friend advised there was a bunch of firearms and accessories to be sold. A local collector was thinning his herd by a 'big' amount. Included in the vast array of about every kind of caliber, gauge, brand, and model of firearms were two Savage 99's. A EG in 250/3000 from around '47-48 and a early 50's R in 300 Savage. Both were in very good shape, with good bores, no after factory add-on's or drilling. The building was packed with not only items from A-Z and people, but there were a good number of gun buyers drooling and waiting for the sale of the firearms and all kinds of ammo, components, hunting gear, etc.

It was late morning and I talked with one of the auction helpers and he advised the firearms and related stuff was going to be some of the last sold, probably mid afternoon. I had a afternoon family function that I couldn't miss and knowing the history of the auctioneer of getting top dollar and even more than a item is worth at times, I left. I talked to a friend several days later and he advised that both Savage 99's sold in the $1500 range, didn't think they'd go that high, but not surprised. I've missed a couple of nice EG's in 250/3000 the last 3-4 months that I was watching on GI/GB that were in nice shape and sold for a decent price. One of those times when ya think "I should have paid more attention and placed a bid." The way it goes. 'NTA' a cut checkered version prior to 1950 of a EG in 250/3000.

All I can think to add is "You can't win if you don't play".

LOL
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Fireball2

All I can think to add is "You can't win if you don't play".

Amen to that! Glad I wasn't asleep at the wheel when I bought that 99R!!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,905 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,487
Posts18,452,031
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.