-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am so glad it worked out for the dog, you and your son. That dog is going to be a challenge.

I was once given a totally trained 3 yr old GWP years ago and she was a fence jumper. Once I got her hunting hard and often she calmed down. Off season would have her jumping but staying in neighborhood and coming back within an hour. I never left her alone outside which was a PITA. Very frustrating till she got older and couldn't jump the 5 1/2 ft fence. Had to be vigilant with doors being opened to outside. She would blow past you as you entered or left the house.

A digger may be easier to deal with after making the area secure with concrete along bottom of fence. ha ha.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everyone wants a friggen hunting dog.

But, if you aren't going to channel that dogs talents
they are horrible pets. Done right, their great.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by tater74
We found the owner and reunited them.
An hour later he calls back and wants to know if we want the dog.
Bought her for $1,250. Spent $1,300 on training. Just walking away from her because she is a digger.
They have her brother as well. Both dogs have gotten out before.

She had been gone 3 days, but looked like she hadn't eaten well in weeks.

Now we have a free dog.

Crazy!

Work on obedience, make it her job.

I’m excited for you and wish you all the best of everything!

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Tater: Outside kennel run pour a concrete slab. Put kennel panels on top of slab. Make sure you use a stretcher bar on the bottom of the chain link between upright supports. Put a top on the kennel. Use a snap link on kennel door latch. For perimeter fence around property string electric fence (not Invisible fence) along top and bottom of fence. Use a solar panel to charge. Be discrete (no yellow insulators) if you live in a city. Most municipalities outlaw electric fences. If you have an escape artist they learn quickly to take the pain of an invisible fence with shock collar. They quickly find any chink in your armor such as flicking up door latch with nose, climbing chain link, etc.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hmmm, how does one hunt with such a Dog and plan on returning home with it each time? Good Dogs figure out the trilogy and prefer to hang with those who brought them.

If you can't train it out of the Dog, then the battle never ends. However, perhaps the time fending for herself made an impression....

Last edited by battue; 02/20/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
An escape artist can make for a very good hunting dog as they tend to be smart, motivated, and adaptable. They can just be a challenge to contain when left alone.

It really depends on what motivates the dog's desire to escape. The allure of a feed lot manure pit, a female in heat (either yours or one in the neighborhood), the great dislike of being penned up, or any number of other temptations can draw a dog when not under supervision. The most common cause, in my experiences with my dogs and those of others, seems to be a form of separation anxiety. When with the handler the dog obeys well and is manageable but leave it alone and it will do whatever it takes to escape confinement. Then the dog will do what it needs to do the feel less anxious which can range from lounging in the yard to roaming the countryside.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I had a Springer that would leave on occasion if you didn’t watch him. He had a purpose for doing so and that was to kill Groundhogs. He would be gone, but would leave a Groundhog on the deck and take off again if you didn’t see him. Normally two days max and he would be home covered in dirt, tired and his claws often messed up. He was going in after them.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Everyone wants a friggen hunting dog.

But, if you aren't going to channel that dogs talents
they are horrible pets. Done right, their great.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
For clarification, what do you mean by the above comments?

Last edited by battue; 02/22/20.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Keep her running and working. Good exercise for all of you.
Find out who the owner spent the $1,300 on training with and find out their methods, commands etc. they used.
Better to use some consistency if possible.

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A lot of breeders implant microchips but don’t register them, leaving it to the new owner.

Honestly, I don’t have much faith in them. Most people see a dog without a collar or tag, they assume it’s been dumped.

And unless whoever finds the dog specifically asks the vet to trace the chip, they won’t bother because the finder often wants to keep the dog, especially if it’s a nice dog.

Checking the chip puts an obligation on the vet to contact whoever registered it and they don’t want the hassle (even though that’s the purpose they sell you a microchip for).

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
How has this gone four pages without pics?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We found the owner and reunited them.
An hour later he calls back and wants to know if we want the dog.
Bought her for $1,250. Spent $1,300 on training. Just walking away from her because she is a digger.
They have her brother as well. Both dogs have gotten out before.

Now we have a free dog.

SWEET!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Post pictures on facebook , if you don't have an account ( and I don't blame you if you don't ) get someone to post for you ,

More dogs are found these days on social media than any other way .

If you still don't hear anything then you've done your due diligence . Seeing as you have already contacted the local animal shelter .

I would be very very hesitant about posting pics of it. I've been in this very situation before. My wife posted pics and within a couple hours we had 4 different people claiming it as THEIR dog. It was easy to tell when we allowed each person to come identify the dog that it was not their dog as the dog wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of them. You can make a post though saying you've found a GSP and let them send you pics of their dog that they think it could be

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Luvbowhuntn

I would be very very hesitant about posting pics of it. I've been in this very situation before. My wife posted pics and within a couple hours we had 4 different people claiming it as THEIR dog. It was easy to tell when we allowed each person to come identify the dog that it was not their dog as the dog wanted absolutely nothing to do with any of them. You can make a post though saying you've found a GSP and let them send you pics of their dog that they think it could be

Did you find the rightful owner?

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M

We live in a lard butt society full of lard butt dogs and perception of what is healthy is often skewed pretty badly. A GSP isn't a Lab, and a prime weight young GSP looks skinny. My pointers ribs show at fighting weight and I get comments. Strangely enough the vet rates his body condition as "ideal" at exams, and I can run him 15-20 GPS confirmed miles per day over a multiple day hunting trip. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Best of luck with the dog. They need a LOT of exercise, especially when young, but are great dogs if you put in the work.

.....and just spend the money and get a Garmin Alpha. I thought they were expensive too, until my very promising young GSP got killed on a road after I lost her when she jumped some deer and chased them.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Nope. He ended up living with us til he died a few years later. He ended up being a really great dog to have around.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Those vets wont be in business long!

Microchips are followed right up to the last known person in possession; Manufacturer, distributer, vet, hospital, whoever. The final Owner can check number at any time to see if his dog has been found... if such request finds that the dog was found and the notice was ignored by the vet or anyone else in the chain puts them in a legal hurt.

Any decent vet or shelter or person with any decency its the first thing they do.

My vet, checks every animal that comes in that he's not seen before.

Me, I've found and rescued so many stray's I've purchased my own scanner, and have been able to return "All OF THEM" to their owners within minutes or at least hours.

Any vet that doesn't trace the chip implanted in a lost pet brought in needs their license revoked. Here it is done without charge.

AAHA Universal Microchip Lookup Database:

Link

Phil

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

plus 2 on the alpha

Originally Posted by Makintrax73

We live in a lard butt society full of lard butt dogs and perception of what is healthy is often skewed pretty badly. A GSP isn't a Lab, and a prime weight young GSP looks skinny. My pointers ribs show at fighting weight and I get comments. Strangely enough the vet rates his body condition as "ideal" at exams, and I can run him 15-20 GPS confirmed miles per day over a multiple day hunting trip. The proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Best of luck with the dog. They need a LOT of exercise, especially when young, but are great dogs if you put in the work.

.....and just spend the money and get a Garmin Alpha. I thought they were expensive too, until my very promising young GSP got killed on a road after I lost her when she jumped some deer and chased them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Nope. He ended up living with us til he died a few years later. He ended up being a really great dog to have around.

Glad it worked out.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

628 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 65 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,244
Posts18,447,948
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.