Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I've got a Remington 7600 i'd like to put peep sites on and they seem to be asking a fair bit for a new straight comb stock. Any suggestions and tips on how to remove the comb on the Monte Carlo while maintaining a nice proper profile and shape?

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

You're right. The straight comb IS the way to go for peeps....and I couldn't find a reasonable priced one. I got lucky and worked a trade deal. Someone wanted my synthetic version and I wanted wood. I of course gave some cash on my end.

If you have a minute Carlo to experiment on....a good rasp will do the trick. I really like Iwasaki rasps. A "fine" cut will be sufficient. Half round or flat. I run both. (I stock flintlock rifles from slabs of wood).

One interesting fact was the recoil difference. Literally shooting the SAME exact loads from 35 Whelens. The scoped Monte Carlo and a ghost ring carbine. The Monte Carlo bests the stuffing out of me. The straight comb is MUCH more enjoyable. And I'm not loosing enough speed from the carbine to make up that difference.

If you're interested, I can take pics of mine side by side so you can get an idea of the difference. She'd me a PM if so. I'd be glad to help. Heck, I can trace my straight stock and mail the tracing to you so you have a template. I don't know that you can get them exact...but a good rasp and you might be able to get it close enough that it works.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info my Mauser06. I was going to suggest the same thing. A very rough rasp to get the majority of the material removed will make quick work of the rough work, then start in with a finer cut rasp to clean things up and blend everything in. Once you're happy with the shape you can take a sanding block and clean it up to final shape and prep for finish... it isn't nearly as difficult as it seems at first and if you have a rifle stock you really like shooting, you can use those measurements for the new stock lines to work to. The refinishing will probably be the more difficult part...

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Just a thought. A 20ga (not 12) 870 stock will fit the 7600. Lots more common.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Speaking of 20ga 870 stocks, CDNN has them listed for as low as $39.99 for the synthetic model. If one of them would work then you would still have your unmolested stock for later use or to sell.

IC B2

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have a Rem 572 22 pump that I've been meaning to do the same thing to. A few years ago, I couldn't find a walnut 870 20ga stock for replacement, so I figured I'd break out some implements of destruction and reshape the existing stock...eventually. Now, I see a bunch of 870 20ga stocks on ebay, but you have to buy the set at $239 - $250. I guess one of these days, I'll have the ambition to start cuttin on that monte carlo. Still too far down the list of projects for now though.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rasp, sand paper, and a finishing compound.

1Minute
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I have done much the same to a rifle with one the 60`s roll over stock .I also shoot left handed so shootin with a high comb is hard.

Work it down little by little and try it until your eye is aligned with sights when the rifle hits your shoulder .

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 65 invisible), 2,326 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.