Same here. Was anyway.

Camp is where you make it.
BP-B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Walt, that'd only be a hop, skip, and a jump. A friend of my Wife has a place/house at Ottertail.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
when i visited my old aunt Elsie in her area the joke was : the train goes thru Long Siding and then stop`s and Pee`s.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
"Central MN" isn't nearly far enough from MLPS. If you're on any 2-lane on Fri-Sun anywhere within 75Mi of Mille Lacs between Memorial Day and Labor Day, you're taking your life in your own hands. Plus, you're still in MN funding whatever MLPS deems appropriate whether you support it or not.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Windfall
A road trip over there was always visually rewarding for the Swedish descended blond and blue young ladies. One state over shouldn’t make that much difference, but it does. Wi. has more lakes than MN., but your women are cuter.

yep we like our Norseman ladies blond and blue eyed ! i married one , my grandfather came from Sweden hers from Norway.

>> this professional Minnesota football team called Vikings are shaming our name and heritage !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Two places I'd like to stop, and chat. The Bear Trap at Sauk Centre, and the Funkey bar.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Two places I'd like to stop, and chat. The Bear Trap at Sauk Centre, and the Funkey bar.

I'm sure that conversation would be entertaining.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
The other distinctly Minnesota saying is, "Fertle girl killed in Climax by boy looking for Moorehead". iFertile, Climax, and Moorehead are not far from each other and the saying is actually a paraphrase of a newspaper headline.

Highway 61 cut through our farm on dad's side with I35 later cutting through the other side. Mom's side lived off 61 just south of Duluth and one took it to get to the rest of her family on The Range/Arrowhead border.

Minnesota is actually fairly well situated for hunting with great hunting for ruffed grouse, woodcock, deer, black bear, and decent pheasant and goose hunting on public land. Ducks aren't what they used to be but it has its moments. Minnesota is pretty well located for travel as one can reach most other game in a day's drive or less.

Fishing is pretty good though I do not do as much as I used to do. Fill a few bags with crappie and walleye fillets to give as gifts and catch a couple trout or salmon for personal use is most of my fishing these days though I'll drown some night crawlers on the river to catch carp, catfish, suckers, sturgeon, smallmouth bass, sheepshead, walleyes, or whatever decides to bite.

Minnesota doesn't have much for elevation but it's landscape has plenty of farm land and woods with some prairie. Not to forget the many lakes and other waterways. It could use more prairie and swamps but the emphasis on farming eliminated much of those areas. Politically, it may not be the most conservative but that is changing in the outstate though it is more due to what is defined as Conservative than actual mindset. Other than the Twin Cities and Duluth, most of the state is not as Progressive as it appears. The problem is like most states, there aren't enough people outstate to counter those in the cities.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by wabigoon

I'm sure that conversation would be entertaining.

There use to be a small town on Rt 35 in SE Wisconsin, the Main Street cut off on a curve on Rt 35, to form an L...

There were two bars in that small town... Kid ya not.. the names of the two bars were:

The Bar.... and the second's name was "the Other Bar" wasn't unusual to see a tractor or two parked out in the middle of the street, which their owners drove down to the Bar or the Other Bar...

Small towns in Minnesota and Wisconsin, sure have a lot of bars in their towns for the size of them...

My ex Wife's parents lived in Chisholm MN... main street was 4 blocks long and had 13 bars on it...

big sized tall draft beers were 35 cents.. at least a 20 oz beer if not bigger...

they consume a lot of alcohol up on Da Range...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Funny thing about Bird Island—there is no Bird Lake

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by tzone
“I got to Remer before she got to Aitkin.“. That’s what my dad always used to say.

I always heard it as "If you want to get to Emily, you're going to get to Aikin, before you get to Remer"

Funny Minnesota humor right there, you betcha!

laugh laugh

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
small town bar question....

where i grew up we had taverns all over. sure, you could get alcohol, but they alsoe served plenty of chow and it was no big whoop for kiddos to eat with their dad up at the bar. are the bars you speak of merely drinking establishments or more like taverns?

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Used to be (still is?) a bar on the corner in Bergen. My older cousin, Ron, would stop in for a beer with his buddies and give me a handful of quarters to play the pinball machine. There was a little kid (3 years old?), son or grandson of the proprietors, who would be drinking orange pop out of a Hamm's bottle.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
On our way home today, I saw a new "Bump" sign. If I had a nickle for every bum sign in Minnesota,----------------. laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Used to be (still is?) a bar on the corner in Bergen. My older cousin, Ron, would stop in for a beer with his buddies and give me a handful of quarters to play the pinball machine. There was a little kid (3 years old?), son or grandson of the proprietors, who would be drinking orange pop out of a Hamm's bottle.

I think it's a steak house now. I went there once when I lived in Fairmont. The steak was the size of a roast. With all the fixings it was around $10.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by Windfall
A road trip over there was always visually rewarding for the Swedish descended blond and blue young ladies. One state over shouldn’t make that much difference, but it does. Wi. has more lakes than MN., but your women are cuter.

yep we like our Norseman ladies blond and blue eyed ! i married one , my grandfather came from Sweden hers from Norway.

>> this professional Minnesota football team called Vikings are shaming our name and heritage !

........... The Vikings might as well change their name, too, like everyone else is doing. They're liable to get accused of " Cultural Appropriation".

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by jfruser
small town bar question....

where i grew up we had taverns all over. sure, you could get alcohol, but they alsoe served plenty of chow and it was no big whoop for kiddos to eat with their dad up at the bar. are the bars you speak of merely drinking establishments or more like taverns?

Most are taverns, at least now days. There is a fairly large discount on insurance when food proceeds are a sizable percentage of sales. At least that was the case when I was young as there was often "complimentary" food though drink prices were slightly higher than before. Creative accounting had one paying for the food though it was "free".

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Originally Posted by walt501
Originally Posted by tzone
“I got to Remer before she got to Aitkin.“. That’s what my dad always used to say.

I always heard it as "If you want to get to Emily, you're going to get to Aikin, before you get to Remer"

Funny Minnesota humor right there, you betcha!

[Linked Image from ]

Hahaha. Too funny, Fat. Thanks.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My BIL and two of my boys just got back from Minnesota a couple of weeks ago. They go every year. They spent four days fishing Mille Lacs and then went over to Remer and stayed at a resort on Big Sand Lake for a week.
I went with them one year. Pretty country in its own way and some good fishing. I had a ball.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Are all those little lakes open to public fishing?

Big bluegills? Many bass? And smallmouth in the small lakes? Able to launch a 17 ft aluminum flat bottom from a trailer?

Legal for a patriot to have a pistol?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
116 members (16penny, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 444Matt, 32_20fan, 16 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 827 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,684
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.