Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I mostly used a weight tape, and from about that time frame I had Actual weights 49, 52, 55, 59, 64, 64, 64 pounds on July 13, 2018, putting them at about 112 days.
In early June, so a little closer in age to your goats I had girths between 22 and 25 inches.

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

BP-B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I’ve talked to several people from Colorado Division of Wildlife to National Forest Services people in Wyoming and Colorado for the Routt/ Medicine Bow National Forest. not to many of them know a whole lot on Pack Goats. I was trying to gather some intel to weather or not I was going to need to worry about them shutting me down. No one seemed to care they pretty much told me to have fun and not to pack in any hay into the Forrest to feed them unless it was certified. That was there only concern. All of them were good to talk to.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Exbioligist did you draw your muzzleloader elk tag? I drew a fourth season deer tag. this year 4th season is about 1 week later than last so it will most likely Be during the rut.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I did, 4th season could be interesting this year and next when it’s as late as it will ever be

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I gotta tag this for later. Great information and well told. Great hunt and pics also. Thanks for posting all of it. We may have to raise some goats.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
IC B2

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
These goats are very cool. I have not seen anyone else doing as much with their goats as you do. I've seen some alpacas being used, but not goats. Thanks for sharing.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I tried weighing goats this past weekend at 98 days my sable (Tracker) was 65lbs. I was unable to weigh Trail(the Alpine/Oberle) due to him not holding still. I’m going to see if I can get a vet type scale for on the cheap. I was holding the goats and trying to weigh them on a digital scale. That weight might not be accurate but should be close.
I’m taking them up on the Mountain this weekend for a 3 day hike back in along the continental divide. Elevation where we will be is roughly 11,400 down to about 10,600 or so. Should be fun hopefully not still snowed in.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Back to our earlier talk about goats vs wild goats and sheep...
A large sheep company in Idaho has just given up 88,000 acres of permitted grazing. This is one more in a series of large acreage permits going out of business recently. This one has some prime bighorn and goat terrain in it. Some of the land is inside wilderness areas

There's no talk of prohibiting pack goats or any other pack animals at this time. With some of our nutcase environmentalists, though, I wouldn't be surprised to see an attempt at it down the road.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Basically all of the western states that have forest plans coming up seem to be eyeballing banning them. We’ve bought some time locally but other places are looking at various closures and regulations.

AFAB, post some pictures of the kids

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Are you affiliated with Gill, "Primitive Hunter". Doesn't he have a squad of backpackin' goats, too?

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No, I know there’s another guy on here who has used them in the past. Duck something or other, I think from Nebraska. Hasn’t posted in awhile but seen him on pack goat central a couple years ago, but that site is pretty slow

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I took my goats up this past weekend for their first overnight back pack trip. We went up to set trail cameras to prepare for elk season. We are at the top of the continental divide around 11,400 ft elevation we did 10+ miles on Saturday and the goats were amazing I could not have asked for them to behave any better. I worried about them Friday night as they have never been just tied up overnight. I slept in a tent next to them and kept one eye on the. All night. I didn’t get much sleep. We left our tents about 4:00 am so we could get back to an outlook by sun up. We set a couple trail cameras along the way. Saturday night we sat up on a different overlook and watched about 12 cows and calves with 1 bull until dark we ended up just posting up there for the night. We ended up around 14 miles for the trip and the goats Never gave us any trouble. But they were super tired when we were done. I let them rest for a couple days and then I handed them on Wednesday. They were roughly 3.5 months old and a little on the large side to band but we got it done. Over all we had a great trip last weekend. I would like to post pictures but not sure how to.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Nice! I know the feeling of not being able to sleep while worrying about them after dark

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Any updates or pics of your goats exbiologist? I went up checking trail cameras yesterday. We went about 10 miles or so. They sure start slowing down when they get tired. It usually me that slows everyone down. But they make me look good

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
We were on some rocks that drop straight off and they are not afraid at all. They scare me because they walk over the edge and back home they are fairly clumsy. The last thing I need is for one to fall.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I totally get that they scare you to death when they play on the cliffs.
I don’t really have any updates other than they have gotten too heavy for the back of my truck and I haven’t gotten a horse trailer yet. Hope to take three or four next week on a scouting trip overnight.
Weight wise, I threw a tape over a few and they are off the chart so I need to get them on a scale . The smaller ones are 180-190 though. Biggest ones probably over 240, but a little fat. Have only been working out around the house and land l. Haven’t been on a big excursion for a bit with other things taking up needed attention.

Last edited by exbiologist; 08/17/20.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Exbioligist,

Just curious if you think 5 goats would be to much weight for a 1/2 ton truck with a short bed. If you average them out It’s around 1250 add 300 pounds for a rack that’s a quite a bit over what I would normally haul. I have a 3/4 ton truck now That I wanted to haul up the 1/2 ton with the goats so I have a dedicated goat hauler. I figured the 1/2 ton will have a little softer suspension and I can’t get a trailer up to where I need to unload the goats. Also I was planning on a cheaper 1/2 ton so I wouldn’t tear up my nicer truck. What do you think? Also do you see any problems getting the 5 goats to fit comfortably in a short bed truck? I could do an extended cab with the long bed but was wanting to do a full 4 door with a short bed. Just asking for ideas. Thank you

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I think once they adults, you’ll probably be sagging quite a bit. Not sure you need a 300 pound rack. Mine probably isn’t that heavy, but likely well over 100. I do think there is sufficient room for 2-3 hour drives for 5 in a 6.5 foot bed. My next truck will be an 8 foot bed 3/4 or 1 ton though

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
So quick update. I did a 3.5 hour drive with that rack and three goats, they seemed no worse for wear, and even got rained on a bit, but were dry when we arrived. I put my ramp on top so maybe that minimized how wet they got but I did see Ragnar shake off.

Now, the play time and lack of hiking showed this weekend with a scouting trip. They haven’t been neglected, but we got a boat and I have not been taking the goats out. 2 of my biggest are fat and they slowed things down so bad on the hike in I had to leash Ragnar to press the other two for more speed. I wanted to pull my hair out. It’s my own fault, but they are not in as good of condition as they should be for this upcoming elk hunt.

Good news is they did great once we got there. Were interested in the elk but never spooky. Figured out quickly that the tarp shelters were theirs to get out of the rain ( a first for them in the backcountry). They didn’t drink a thing in over two days ( left Saturday about 2pm arrived home Monday 2pm) and did pee a little bit still on Monday so had to be taking in some water from feed.

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...idth=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...?width=590&height=370&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...idth=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img][img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...idth=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]

[img]https://hosting.photobucket.com/ima...idth=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds[/img]

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hate photobucket

Page 7 of 11 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.