Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
If I was looking to buy some second hand single bevel Broad heads Is there a better place to throw out a WTB?

I have a 30 " DL and shoot a modern compound bow w a 65 lb DW. As long as I am using a heavier arrow near 500 grains, my penetration has been stellar through and through with a larger COC mechanical BH . For numerous reasons I would like to try the heavier single bevel broad heads. Best reason I can come up with is I am looking to get my 10 year old son introduced to archery hunting and believe the single bevel cut on contact broad-head will be best for his lower DW.

Generally second hand anything can be more cost effective. While I am not necessarily interested in a lot of anything; I'd like to come up with an assortment of weights of single bevel broad heads to experiment with to see what shoots well for us. If you should happen to have anything that you are not wanting to use shoot me a PM and we can see if we can work out a deal one way or another.

Thank you!

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not sure what a "single bevel" broadhead is. Got a picture?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Archerytalk.com

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Its as the name implies..........the bevel for the blade edge is on one side only.
IIRC right bevel is for right wing fletch, left for left wing.
This way they spin together and supposedly the cut in tissue has rotation as well.

2 blade heads. Instead of a slit the cut reportedly in a bit of an S shape?

I got some tool steel Cutthroat 125's to try ($20 each) and got em pretty sharp.
Did not shoot any deer so will keen em up again and try in a couple months LOL

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Last edited by hookeye; 07/11/20.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well that's a new one on me. Stay awake and maybe learn something every day.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H

Yea the Cutthroats are in the running yet I think they are low on the list due to the noise induced by the pockets in or near the feral. Still researching and any input appreciated.

Had a kind gentleman reach out with a few grizzly heads that I turned down as my research indicated the structural integrity of those heads may leave a lot to be desired. Seems this head may be prone to coming apart on impact.

Still doing my research and so far only a handful of heads are up for consideration.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Some Cutthroat models out of stock.

125gr Right bevel is one.

And what I use

They quiet for me, but then theyre not flying over 200 fps.
Fly great too.
But seem kinda small.

I wounded a tree w one last yr LOL.
Saved an 8 pointer the little unseen branch did.

Last edited by hookeye; 07/15/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
At the kids lower draw weight/ shorter powerstroke......will the supposed advantages of a single bevel be realized?

Just wondering if a good old Magnus Stinger w bleeders wouldnt be good enough.

15% FOC and let er rip

Last edited by hookeye; 07/15/20.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That's news to me, have been shooting them for over a year and haven't heard any noise. Killed two deer with the same head and arrow last fall. (month apart) Maybe it's cause I shoot them off a recurve and they are too slow to make any noise.

You could track the path easy and see the spin in tissue. Slit one way going in, another way through the heart and then turned again going out, both deer that way.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Hunting Public channel on YouTube has some recent episodes featuring another YouTuber, Ranch Fairy, who's a heavy arrow proponent, also single-bevel broadhead guru. They kill some hogs on his ranch and he demonstrates sharpening and arrow-tuning. Don't recall any mention of spinning inside the game, but those super-sharp heavy arrows sure cut the snot outa pigs. Ranch Fairy has his own channel, but I've not watched any. He's a bit goofy, but knows his stuff.

His heavy-arrow ideas make sense. Give up some speed, get straight-line penetration, even through bone. Thinking about going heavier with my crossbow too, though penetration hasn't been an issue so far, losing arrows that sail on through, even on one head-on shot, has.

What fresh Hell is this?
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I shot recurve and longbows for 40 years and used grizzly heads for 2 to 3. I usually shoot port oxford cedar shafts and glue on broadheads. These days I prefer either zwickey or magnus, both 2 blade. To me, nothing special about a grizzly head. Ymmv.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I saw a YouTube video on this particular broadhead and it looks devastating.

Link to Dagger TI

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Lotsa guys using these for elk around here, folks love em

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Looks kinda like a Strickland

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I’ve also just started learning about this trend. I use a draw weight in the low 60s and I appreciate the need for a pass through for whitetails. Much of what they talk about make sense. I can understand that trends in archery components over the years have gravitated toward what is easiest to tune so that the customer is shooting good groups in his backyard. Hundreds more arrows are watched in that scenario than are shot at game.

The thing that I have NOT heard these guys mention, though, is the ability for whitetails to jump the string. That’s got to be a major drawback for this heavy arrow, heavy head idea.

Last edited by turkish; 07/17/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jumping the string can be a challenge. I've had them duck a 300 fps arrow. They could surly jump anthying from a recurve.

The best defense: A quiet (as possible bow) and a relaxed deer.

Last edited by Gun_Geezer; 07/17/20.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
600 gr is a lot.

May be too much for some bows

Unless you like shooting critters at spittin distance

Im cool w 500 gr and COC heads w around 20% FOC

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ive never had a 300 FPS arrow.
My Hoyt I think IBO rated at 310.
W 430gr arrow it clocked 272 FPS at my 28" draw.
72#

COC heads.

Had a doe try to duck me at 45 yards.
Almost did. hit her in spine, arrow stopped at the fletch

All others complete pass through.
Same for my 72# Mathews SBXT ( same arrows ).

Last edited by hookeye; 07/17/20.
H
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by turkish
I’ve also just started learning about this trend. I use a draw weight in the low 60s and I appreciate the need for a pass through for whitetails. Much of what they talk about make sense. I can understand that trends in archery components over the years have gravitated toward what is easiest to tune so that the customer is shooting good groups in his backyard. Hundreds more arrows are watched in that scenario than are shot at game.

The thing that I have NOT heard these guys mention, though, is the ability for whitetails to jump the string. That’s got to be a major drawback for this heavy arrow, heavy head idea.

Actually jumping the string concern may weigh more in favor for the heavy arrow & heavier cut on contact broad head than you may think. Why you may ask. First off what ever weight arrow & broad head you choose, perfect arrow flight is 1st and foremost. Your bow and arrow need to be tuned for perfect arrow flight.

Now with all things being equal the heavier arrow will absorb more energy from the bow thus yeild a quieter shot. Do not underestimate this.

Next the sharp single bevel broad head, with great structural integrity allows noteworthy advantages once impact occurs. Say the animal does maneuver to duck the arrow. Your point of impact does change unpredictably. All kinds of reactions can make shot placement unpredictable with any set-up the reacting target animal may duck or roll in more than one direction. So if & or when they do react to a shot. The Arrow with more weight & momentum will have a much higher chance of overcoming unintended bone impact If this did occur. Deflections are likely to be less again due to momentum. Depth of penetration will likely, really really likely be greater with the heavier total arrow weight, especially with more weight forward.

Ranch Ferry videos mentioned earlier highlight improved recovery due to better penetration with the heavier setups W a single bevel head or even a good double bevel 2 blade head.

BTW Ranch ferry hunts hogs a lot which allows a lot of shot opportunitys. And the fact that the Hogs are essentially a invasive species offers a season length that is year around. Id venture no whitetail hunters are allowed near the shot opportunities that the hog hunt on the ranch tends to allow. Oh yea no season or bag limits do tend to facilitate a fine test lab scenario that allows Troy to achieve a lot of experimentation in a relatively short period of time on live targets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsRlJkFDyYQ

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

709 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,107 guests, and 1,356 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.