Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I know stainless is the better option for bad weather, but for years Blued CrMoly steel was all folks had. Anyone still use a blued rifle on tough hunts (Alaska, backpacking hunts, etc)? How has it fared and what is your routine, both pre-hunt and during, to keep rust at bay?

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Took one on a river float hunt in AK. It now has a teflon finish.

If I were doing it again, I have found some stuff that would be a big improvement in
protection the metal.

Gibbs Metal Protector... Goes on wet, seems to penetrate and dries. I use it on carbon
knife blades and it does a good job protecting them.

Of course, nothing is fool proof in this case, but my rifle would probably not have needed
re finishing if I had had Gibbs back then.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I've elk hunted out west well over 30 years and hunted moose/caribou in Alaska numerous times. The only cleaning equipment I pack is 2 zip lock bags, one containing a dry cloth and the other containing a pre-oiled rag. I have kept a 36" piece of coated electrical wire in my day pack for many years, but never had to use it. Rifles are wood/blue ruger m77 in 270win and 30-06. If I was doing a float hunt for moose I'd take a water proof gun case.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I hunted four days in the rain with my 760 years ago before stainless rifles. The only place it shows is at the butt plate where the wood swelled a little.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
2 14 day Alaska bear hunts in salt water with blued steel Ruger tang safety .338. Just occasionally wiped down outside with silicone rag. Used Gun Boot (dry bag) for transport in skiff. The value of a stainless steel barrel is to keep the bore from rusting. An oily bore shoots to a different point of impact than a dry bore.

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I used blued rifles for years in the Adirondacks which includes a week in a spike camp every year. plenty of wet nasty days ( even weeks) Over the years my anti rust protocol changed, from oil, to barricade to wax, its not really that hard to keep one from rusting in cold wet weather, but a short lapse and you can have rust. .

The bore is more of a worry as you can't see it easily.

These days I choose cerakoted stainless

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I used to hunt with blue/wood rifles in western Washington: https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11623852/First_Elk

No more. I've gradually replaced all of my blue/wood rifles with stainless/synthetic and I'm not going back.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/11/20.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I did until last year when I bought my first Montana. I wax both wood and metal with paste wax preseason. In my duffle, I always pack a silicone cloth, a length of #14 wire and a couple of small ziplock bags, one with dry patches and the other with oiled patches. A couple of minutes of maintenance at the end of the day is all it takes..

I still hunt with my blue steel and walnut rifles. But now, when it looks like prolonged foul weather, they stay on my bunk in favor of the Montana.

BTW, stainless does not mean maintenance free.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 07/11/20.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The out side is easy to protect.with a quality oil. It's the bore you need to be concerned about. If you start out with an oily bore even if you push several dry patches thru, it most likely will throw off your first &/or second shot. Maybe at close range you may get by. But if you have a longish shot it could easily cause a miss. Experienced shooters are aware of this. You will never see a competitive shooter shoot for score from a clean barrel. It has always been fouled with some shots first. Is it worth the chance especially if you have invested a good amount of time & money on a hunt. . Sight in your rifle then clean the bore. Run several patches thru to remove the excess oil. Note where your first in particular shot lands & then the second. In the over whelming amount of rifles these first shots will be off compared to where a fouled bore will print. If excess oil
is left in the bore it is even worse. This is where a stainless barrel shines. When I do a final sight in check the week before a hunt I never clean the barrel until the hunt is over. I know my rifle is going to print where it hit last time I shot & left the bore fouled. I have seen several blued steel rifles rust over night in hunting camps over the years... Yes you can get by with blue steel but why when stainless is an option.

Last edited by Hesp; 07/11/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have many cro- moly rifles with decades of use in salty, nasty weather. A modest bit of care is perfectly adequate to make them function. About the same requirements, really, as a SS rifle.

Some finishes are better than others, but Cerakote has proven to be a joke in the wear department. Teflon has also been a joke. I would prefer SS these days, but do not hesitate to use blued. If rebarreling I always go SS, but there are several CM actions with SS barrels and years behind them. My 375AI has many Kodiak hunts behind it, many kills, and is a CM action and Pac-Nor SS Match barrel.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hesp
The out side is easy to protect.with a quality oil. It's the bore you need to be concerned about. If you start out with an oily bore even if you push several dry patches thru, it most likely will throw off your first &/or second shot. Maybe at close range you may get by. But if you have a longish shot it could easily cause a miss. Experienced shooters are aware of this. You will never see a competitive shooter shoot for score from a clean barrel. It has always been fouled with some shots first. Is it worth the chance especially if you have invested a good amount of time & money on a hunt. . Sight in your rifle then clean the bore. Run several patches thru to remove the excess oil. Note where your first in particular shot lands & then the second. In the over whelming amount of rifles these first shots will be off compared to where a fouled bore will print. If excess oil
is left in the bore it is even worse. This is where a stainless barrel shines. When I do a final sight in check the week before a hunt I never clean the barrel until the hunt is over. I know my rifle is going to print where it hit last time I shot & left the bore fouled. I have seen several blued steel rifles rust over night in hunting camps over the years... Yes you can get by with blue steel but why when stainless is an option.

Best protection for barrels is electrical tape over the muzzle...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wood that is properly sealed including in the inletting and under the buttplate/grip cap, wax on wood and metal exterior surfaces (I use Gilly Stephenson's Gun Wax, which is carnauba-based), and electrical tape over the muzzle, with a roll of it on hand (or just a few extra wraps around the barrel) to tape the muzzle up again after shooting. Give everything a good wipe down each night, and strip, dry and clean everything when you are done.

I quite enjoy hunting in rain, especially a drizzle that does enough to damp scent and noise without driving everything into the heaviest cover.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have never had a issue with blued steel guns and wood stocks. No rust spots and wood issues. It does take a bit of common sense to keep them ok. Things like keeping them outside after a days hunt, not storing them wet in a gun case and wiping them down with a good oil after a hunt and keeping them well oiled before a hunt.

S
Sevens Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Honestly sounds like wood stocks are more of a concern than the metal. Would be using a synthetic stock, so it’s just the blued metal that’s a concern. Some wax, daily wipe down and common sense sounds like it goes a long way.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I do a lot of remote moose hunting up in the NW corner of Saskatchewan with my 308 Norma Mag. It's blued steel and is just fine. I do take care to wipe it down, and clean it, as needed while out and about and other than honest hunting wear, no rust or pitting on it.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I hunted all over Alaska for 10 years and never owned a SS rifle, still don’t. I do have a few I rebarreled using SS blanks and a few I put in quality fiberglass stocks.

I don’t recall ever having any issue with any of my rifles that could be attributed to the weather and the materials they were made of. Though if one was going for maximum neglect and maximum durability Nitride over SS in a glass stock would be as good as you can get.

Wax is your friend, an oily rag doesn’t hurt to have along either.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steel wool and Hoppes #9 were made for Blued Steel rifles. I used them for years in Washington and they just require some maintenance.

Last edited by JBabcock; 07/12/20.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I once stressed about the same issue until I considered that battleships are made of steel. And, I’ve never had a blued steel rifle rust while holding it in my hands over the duration of a hunt.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I will often put a coat of polyurethane satin clear on all exterior metal surfaces with the rifle out of the stock with a rag. Tape over the muzzle and I am good. Recoat every year or so.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Screw stainless, I'll coat the inside of the bore with battleship paint. grin

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 14idaho, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 710 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.